Another BLADE show, more stuff I want.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Another BLADE show, more stuff I want.

Post by Halfneck »

Well spent all day at the show and taking a break before heading to the pit. Saw lots of cool knives and got to see friends I'd not seen since last year.

At the Spyderco booth I finally got to handle the Chaparral LW and Rhino. There was a lot I liked about the Chaparral LW, but it was too thin for my hand. Loved it's thin blade though. The Rhino was outstanding. The only reason I didn't walk out with one was I was able to score a deal on a custom knife from a new maker. As soon as I rebuild my knife funds though I'll be looking to get a Rhino.

Also looking forward to the new Techno and smaller Chokwe. I always liked the Techno, but it was just too bulky for me. The new one is great. Lighter and better ergonomics for me. I was surprised at how much i liked the smaller Chokwe. I never really liked the original. The new one just feels great, and I like the compression lock and wire clip over the originals frame lock an clip.

As always thanks to the Spyderco booth crew for patiently dealing with me and answering my questions.
SG89

Re: Another BLADE show, more stuff I want.

Post by SG89 »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:10 pm
I was surprised at how much i liked the smaller Chokwe. I never really liked the original. The new one just feels great, and I like the compression lock and wire clip over the originals frame lock an clip.
:eek:
Bleep yes
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Yea soon as I saw it I was thinking "My buddy Joe Flowers will like this". When I ran into him later I mentioned it and he said "Already saw it".

No steel mentioned on it yet. Guy behind the counter said it will depend on where it is made.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I like the Bow River and the Smock and these are on my "must buy" list but I was blown away by the Tropen which is on my " I'll sell a kidney to buy at least one " list :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Wait, what? There was a new Chokwe shown?! Please tell us more!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mini chokwe flash batch? A la nilakka?
AllNamesWereTaken

Post by AllNamesWereTaken »

tell me about that new Paul Alexander design that i just added with the sabotage and the smock on the "must own at least once" of this new year
Southard and PPT always with me
On radar: smock dodo and all oddity
Tom
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Did anyone get a chance to see the Subvert? Any thoughts on it?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

How does this thread have no pictures? ha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

There was so much cool stuff at BLADE along with prototypes that I really didn't think the stuff in the catalog was enough to gauge my interest at the Spyderco booth....

...and I was wrong. lol.

Got to see some of the new stuff in the pipeline too...including a Para 3 lightweight with a wire clip!
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

sonarsessions wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:21 am
including a Para 3 lightweight with a wire clip!
This is fantastic news.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

sonarsessions wrote:
...Got to see some of the new stuff in the pipeline too...including a Para 3 lightweight with a wire clip!

I was this close ][ to ordering the carbon C41CFFP5 Native V, but will now wait the year or so, to hopefully see if the wire clip will turn into a wider marketing trend. Otoh I'll probably still go for a C41CFFP5.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:38 am
How does this thread have no pictures? ha
A lot of what I was looking at was over in the prototype area where no pics are allowed.

Was there for a bit today - mostly to say bye to friends. Met Surfinggringo and had a good conversation. Handled the Amalgam and Ikuchi. Fully agree with Surfinggringo's comment that there are a lot of good knives in the lineup this year. And Joyce Laituri has got to be one of the nicest people in the knife industry
SG89

Post by SG89 »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:47 am
sonarsessions wrote:
This is fantastic news.
Heck yes
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:35 pm
KnickKnackCity wrote:
sonarsessions wrote:
This is fantastic news.
Heck yes
Yay for another LW model from Golden. Hope to see some Manix, Native, and Para 3 Light Weight "Family" Sprints in the future.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 am
The production sample was EXTREMELY well made and get very good in hand despite its size.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Popsickle wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 am
The production sample was EXTREMELY well made and get very good in hand despite its size.
Very cool. The price is sky high, and I'm not the biggest fan of recurved blades (I'd just have to get a new sharpening rod... I prefer stones) but it definitely seems like an excellent, well built piece.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
KnickKnackCity wrote:
sonarsessions wrote:
This is fantastic news.
Heck yes
Yay for another LW model from Golden. Hope to see some Manix, Native, and Para 3 Light Weight "Family" Sprints in the future.

They are definitely coming. while I couldn't snap any photos, Eric happened to casually stroll my way, say hello, and took it out to show me while I showed him my para 3 that I was carrying at Blade. He said the tooling is in place to get it ready but not to hold my breath thinking it will be out this year... lol. I will say that the version I saw was a translucent orange and had a deep carry wire clip, not the version of wire clip currently on the Manix 2.

It was my first time speaking with him - he was a really nice guy. We talked about the Sharpmaker and some new stuff happening on that end ;) ...as well as his next marketing 'gimmick' involving a megaphone :D lol. I'm sure he will get a kick out of the picture.
Attachments
megaphone.jpg
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sonarsessions wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
KnickKnackCity wrote:

This is fantastic news.
Heck yes

They are definitely coming. while I couldn't snap any photos, Eric happened to casually stroll my way, say hello, and took it out to show me while I showed him my para 3 that I was carrying at Blade. He said the tooling is in place to get it ready but not to hold my breath thinking it will be out this year... lol. I will say that the version I saw was a translucent orange and had a deep carry wire clip, not the version of wire clip currently on the Manix 2.
I'm a little late to the party but....a Para 3 LW with wire clip will be a must have for me!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sonarsessions wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 am

It was my first time speaking with him - he was a really nice guy. We talked about the Sharpmaker and some new stuff happening on that end ;) ...as well as his next marketing 'gimmick' involving a megaphone :D lol. I'm sure he will get a kick out of the picture.

Any idea on what the steel might be? Here is hoping for CTS-BD1N!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.