CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Librarian wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:03 pm

I would like to answer at the same time.
Do not forget what you pay for it. bonded stone are much more expensive than galvanic stones. The resource of the plate with galvanic coating is very large, when they stop working, you can just buy a new one. Analogy: Imagine that 5 (figure from the head, you need to watch prices, approximately) of galvanic stones cost like one bonded stone.
It's a matter of taste.
You can only say that this one cannot be called a plus or minus.

For example, naniwa superstone are sold with a thickness of 10 mm and 20 mm. If I need a stone of 8000 grit, a stone with a 10 mm thick will be enough for me not only for me, but also to my grandchildren. Why do I need a 20 mm stone?
How often do you change the plates of diamonds on the galvanic plates? I think they are not too often.
Again, this is an economic factor.
Bonded stones are not expensive when compared to quality diamond plates. For the size of stone I use DMT plates are 10usd cheaper. So for 10 bucks more I get a stone that lasts longer. Atoma plates are almost twice as much.

Every diamond plate I've used has lost effectiveness after a few months. Once that happens there's no way to make it cut like new. Bonded stones go through the same process but you can dress them to make them cut like new. You can dress a bonded stone multiple times which increases their value.

In the end if your happy with the effectiveness of SiC and diamond plates that's all that matters. We're all here to enjoy knives and sometimes have to agree to disagree.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I’ve googled to the best of my abilities and am unable to figure out where any of you are getting diamond or cbn plates of any type (bonded, vitrified, sprayed on or whatever) at grits 2k and above. Feel free to PM me if this is too off topic. I’ve been out of knife and stone shopping for a few years now and this stuff was just starting to show up back then. Thanks!
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

Ah, nice catch on the aluminum oxide vs silicon carbide. However, given that sharpening is abrasive action of one material wearing on another, I would argue here that hardness is still king. If we find the average hardness -- by summing the carbide volumes weighted by their hardness and the steel matrix (again weighted by its hardness) and divide by the total volume, we'll find the average hardness is less than either aluminum oxide or silicon carbide -- which I believe is why we can use it for sharpening. I'd be interested to see at what point the carbide volume pushes the average hardness over the limit. --> A quick back-of the envelope calculation yields 87% vanadium carbide volume is needed for the average hardness of each material (vanadium carbide in a soft steel vs silicon carbide) is equal. This has been fun.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm
I’ve googled to the best of my abilities and am unable to figure out where any of you are getting diamond or cbn plates of any type (bonded, vitrified, sprayed on or whatever) at grits 2k and above. Feel free to PM me if this is too off topic. I’ve been out of knife and stone shopping for a few years now and this stuff was just starting to show up back then. Thanks!
Dmt makes an extra extra fine 3 micron plate. I have one but the plating is flaking off.

https://agrussell.com/knife/DMT-Extra-E ... --DMT-A4EE

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT- ... -P125.aspx

This is where I get bonded stones.
https://cgsw.us/shop/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Resin bonded diamond stones and electroplated stones do not only differ in lifespan. As Shawn said, since the diamond are IN the bonding medium, they are not showing all the way. The grit stays the same, they cut as efficiently as electroplated stones for the same grit.

However, there's a difference in how deep the electroplated diamonds go in the steel, and this is the case for every grit. When your using 220 grit it's not that important, but at very high grits and given the choice, you'd prefer a resin bonded diamond stone for a cleaner edge (= sharper)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Librarian

Post by Librarian »

First I would like to quote words from this article (I recommend reading it all)
https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/12/21/a ... t-vs-grit/

In the study and literature on the topic of grinding and wear (tribology) the terms “sliding, ploughing and cutting” are commonly used. There is a critical pressure required for an abrasive to cut into the workpiece, otherwise it will simply slide without removing metal. Efficient grinding occurs when the particles are cutting. If the exposed abrasive becomes worn, the contact area increases and the effective pressure decreases (for a given applied force) and we will move from cutting to sliding.

dlum1 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:45 pm
Something doesn't sound right here. You're forgetting pressure. With it, a round object can definitely cut. Press a metal ball bearing against a sheet of drywall and drag it. It can definitely leave a gouge mark. With such a small surface area near the edge of a blade, a light force can result in some significant pressure.
I tried to do this and I did not succeed. A small metal ball simply slows down from my hands when I begin to move it along the sheet. ;)
Newton's third law - To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction
In your example, you missed that the ball is not fixed motionless. Your example would work if the ball had a comfortable handle to hold, so that you could create a pressure on the ball, to move along the sheet.
40814545523_a7c0a69986_o.jpg
The grain of abrasive in the stone is not fixed motionless, it is kept due to "glue". Glue can be strong(norton india) and weak(king stone). There will be some kind of pressure on the abrasive when the abrasive will break out of the stone. The more round abrasive (dumb), the more it must be pressed on the stone, so that he again begins to cut the metal. This pressure can be so large that the whole stone will destroy, or it will not work to do anything.
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:36 pm
Bonded stones are not expensive when compared to quality diamond plates. For the size of stone I use DMT plates are 10usd cheaper. So for 10 bucks more I get a stone that lasts longer. Atoma plates are almost twice as much.
Every diamond plate I've used has lost effectiveness after a few months. Once that happens there's no way to make it cut like new. Bonded stones go through the same process but you can dress them to make them cut like new. You can dress a bonded stone multiple times which increases their value.
I would not want to greatly discuss the issue of price, otherwise I will have to consider a large assortment.The price depends on the concentration of an abrasive, for example, Venev diamonds (25% vs 100%). Some can be just expensive, like Naniwa Diamond.
When you are talking about reusable, it is difficult.
Problems in details and trifles.
For example, the density of abrasive per unit area is important. For example, we have 1 cubic millimeter of diamonds, we can pour them onto the plate, or can knead with a filler and get 1 millimeter of diamonds with a filler. Is it correct to compare and say that one is better than the other and more durable?

Diamond plates lose their aggression after small use. But we can say that this is their nature and a feature. They become a little aggressive, but they still work very well. Supported that they go to the operating mode.
You need a stone for some kind of work, and not for it to be like new.

Ultimately, the speed of the stone is important to us. The volume of the metal that is removed in one movement at a given pressure on the square. I'm talking about the experiment, the link to which I gave at the beginning of my message.
If we had these values, we could easily compare abrasives, but we don’t have them.
Ramonade wrote: Resin bonded diamond stones and electroplated stones do not only differ in lifespan. As Shawn said, since the diamond are IN the bonding medium, they are not showing all the way. The grit stays the same, they cut as efficiently as electroplated stones for the same grit.

However, there's a difference in how deep the electroplated diamonds go in the steel, and this is the case for every grit. When your using 220 grit it's not that important, but at very high grits and given the choice, you'd prefer a resin bonded diamond stone for a cleaner edge (= sharper)
This is a very very controversial statement.
I drew a small picture, this is a type of abrasive stone, depending on the depth of immersion of an abrasive into the matrix.
For comparison, I suggested that the density on the surface of the abrasive is the same in all stones
I do not know what you mean by the word - effectiveness. But the following logic (The grit stays the same, cut as efficiently same, difference in how deep), the best stone will be the one whose abrasive will be deepened to maximum depth (Perhaps even the one from which the abrasive will not stick out? :thinking ). Since the effectiveness does not depend on the depth of the adjustment. And the scratches from abrasive will be less, the more abrasive is immersed in the matrix.
efwefw.JPG
Do not you think that what is wrong here?
If I misunderstood you, please draw you as you imagine these two cases.
Last edited by Librarian on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You know, all of the last many posts belong in the sharpening thread (or a new thread) and not here in the CPM 15v Manix 2 thread. Please keep on subject, thanks.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Librarian wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 am
First I would like to quote words from this article (I recommend reading it all)
https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/12/21/a ... t-vs-grit/

In the study and literature on the topic of grinding and wear (tribology) the terms “sliding, ploughing and cutting” are commonly used. There is a critical pressure required for an abrasive to cut into the workpiece, otherwise it will simply slide without removing metal. Efficient grinding occurs when the particles are cutting. If the exposed abrasive becomes worn, the contact area increases and the effective pressure decreases (for a given applied force) and we will move from cutting to sliding.

dlum1 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:45 pm
Something doesn't sound right here. You're forgetting pressure. With it, a round object can definitely cut. Press a metal ball bearing against a sheet of drywall and drag it. It can definitely leave a gouge mark. With such a small surface area near the edge of a blade, a light force can result in some significant pressure.
I tried to do this and I did not succeed. A small metal ball simply slows down from my hands when I begin to move it along the sheet. ;)
Newton's third law - To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction
In your example, you missed that the ball is not fixed motionless. Your example would work if the ball had a comfortable handle to hold, so that you could create a pressure on the ball, to move along the sheet.

40814545523_a7c0a69986_o.jpg
The grain of abrasive in the stone is not fixed motionless, it is kept due to "glue". Glue can be strong(norton india) and weak(king stone). There will be some kind of pressure on the abrasive when the abrasive will break out of the stone. The more round abrasive (dumb), the more it must be pressed on the stone, so that he again begins to cut the metal. This pressure can be so large that the whole stone will destroy, or it will not work to do anything.
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:36 pm
I would not want to greatly discuss the issue of price, otherwise I will have to consider a large assortment.The price depends on the concentration of an abrasive, for example, Venev diamonds (25% vs 100%). Some can be just expensive, like Naniwa Diamond.
When you are talking about reusable, it is difficult.
Problems in details and trifles.
For example, the density of abrasive per unit area is important. For example, we have 1 cubic millimeter of diamonds, we can pour them onto the plate, or can knead with a filler and get 1 millimeter of diamonds with a filler. Is it correct to compare and say that one is better than the other and more durable?

Diamond plates lose their aggression after small use. But we can say that this is their nature and a feature. They become a little aggressive, but they still work very well. Supported that they go to the operating mode.
You need a stone for some kind of work, and not for it to be like new.

Ultimately, the speed of the stone is important to us. The volume of the metal that is removed in one movement at a given pressure on the square. I'm talking about the experiment, the link to which I gave at the beginning of my message.
If we had these values, we could easily compare abrasives, but we don’t have them.
Ramonade wrote: Resin bonded diamond stones and electroplated stones do not only differ in lifespan. As Shawn said, since the diamond are IN the bonding medium, they are not showing all the way. The grit stays the same, they cut as efficiently as electroplated stones for the same grit.

This is a very very controversial statement.
I drew a small picture, this is a type of abrasive stone, depending on the depth of immersion of an abrasive into the matrix.
For comparison, I suggested that the density on the surface of the abrasive is the same in all stones
I do not know what you mean by the word - effectiveness. But the following logic (The grit stays the same, cut as efficiently same, difference in how deep), the best stone will be the one whose abrasive will be deepened to maximum depth (Perhaps even the one from which the abrasive will not stick out? :thinking ). Since the effectiveness does not depend on the depth of the adjustment. And the scratches from abrasive will be less, the more abrasive is immersed in the matrix.
111111132.jpg
Do not you think that what is wrong here?
If I misunderstood you, please draw you as you imagine these two cases.
Nice explanation.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:10 am
You know, all of the last many posts belong in the sharpening thread (or a new thread) and not here in the CPM 15v Manix 2 thread. Please keep on subject, thanks.
I was just thinking the same thing. It is very interesting and deserving of a separate thread. Just not the 15V Manix Sprint thread.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was hoping this thread would be an alert kind of thread. It's gone quite scientific! I'm knife nerdy...just not this nerdy :nerd
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great information, have to agree a thread dealing with sharpening specifics would be ideal . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

How good would this look all blacked out?

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:31 am

Not a huge fan of blade DLC but black hardware and liners would be great. Even though I am not a huge fan of DLC, having it on a corrosion prone blade wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:49 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:31 am
Not a huge fan of blade DLC but black hardware and liners would be great. Even though I am not a huge fan of DLC, having it on a corrosion prone blade wouldn’t be a bad thing.
I typically prefer satin blades, but I agree, black hardware especially the liners would look great and add some corrsion resistance to the liners where I have actually had corrosion in the past. Right where all the skelonitization is.

Would be cool to try out blacked out hardware and satin blade for future sprints.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ehhh, my OCD gets all whacky when there's 3 different colors going on. Gotta stick with two. All satin blade and hardware or all coated.

William, I thought you've said you've never tried DLC? Can't knock it til ya try it!

Also a side note to remember, this blade is actually stonewashed and not satin.

-Rick
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:23 am
Ehhh, my OCD gets all whacky when there's 3 different colors going on. Gotta stick with two. All satin blade and hardware or all coated.

William, I thought you've said you've never tried DLC? Can't knock it til ya try it!

Also a side note to remember, this blade is actually stonewashed and not satin.
I do need to take the jump into DLC. I still have the bad taste in my mouth from 20-30 years ago and those old painted blades. I was going to get the REC 10V Manix in DLC but with this one I probably won’t now.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spyderco DLC is nothing like those painted blades, not even from the same planet.

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I was hoping there would be a black and stone wash but will go with the flow . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Some great conversation going on here. I'm proud to be part of the group.

FYI, Spyderco is making a CBN 2 sided stone.

sal
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Has this manix been shipped out yet?
MRj “Weak things break!”