My missing Manbug, when are you coming home?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

weetoots wrote:Bad typing on my part.it was supposed to say "I thought I was looking at..
OK, that clears it up. I didn't think you were making it up, it was just inconsistent and confused me.

Did you send them $5 for return shipping? If you didn't do that it could mix things up a little.
Again, I hope it works out. I would be frustrated too.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
araneae

Post by araneae »

Warranty, who cares. I was looking at a piece of junk and not a Spyderco product but a fake. That was the reason I sent it to them. If someone was producing a piece of junk and putting my name on it, I would want to know.
Story changes?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
weetoots

Post by weetoots »

Problem solved.

Received email today from Warranty/Repair. My knife is ready to come home. Fees gladly paid.

To all who replied, thank you for your replies, positive or slightly negative.

I will enjoy my little Manbug even more.

Since this knife can rust, overtime, what can I use to kept it lubed and protected, but not gunk-up the inside?

Due to your kind advice, I am going to get either a "Dragonfly2 Salt" C28PYL2 or a "Pacific salt" C91PBBK. I wish the Dragonfly2 Salt came with a black handle.

Regards,

weetoots
MGREP, C10PSBBK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

weetoots wrote:Problem solved.

Received email today from Warranty/Repair. My knife is ready to come home. Fees gladly paid.

To all who replied, thank you for your replies, positive or slightly negative.

I will enjoy my little Manbug even more.

Since this knife can rust, overtime, what can I use to kept it lubed and protected, but not gunk-up the inside?

Due to your kind advice, I am going to get either a "Dragonfly2 Salt" C28PYL2 or a "Pacific salt" C91PBBK. I wish the Dragonfly2 Salt came with a black handle.

Regards,

weetoots
The Dragonfly Salt is a sensible choice for HI's climate. As for color, in case you are not aware, quite a few folks have used RIT dye to change the color of FRN handled knives, so that's one possible way to get a black handled D'fly Salt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

That's excellent news, weetoots!

Glad it worked out.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd suggest using some Nano Oil or Tufglide on that blade. Many have used them with satisfactory results for preventing corrosion/rusting. Not sure that they are particularly food safe, but I'd assume a Manbug isn't doing too much food prep.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
paladin

Post by paladin »

Glad you reached that happy resolution :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
weetoots

Post by weetoots »

The Deacon,
For my further edification, what is the process for RIT dying? Does one just submerge the knife handle (an assembled knife)? Time of submersion to completely get a black handle?

Thanks
MGREP, C10PSBBK
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

The Deacon and others will probably know more, but I've read about RIT dye. You add the powdered dye to water, along with some vinegar possibly, and you boil that. You can submerge the whole knife for a half hour or so and the color should rub or scrape off the metal parts easily if it sticks at all. Search 'RIT dye frn' and you'll get all the information you could ask for.
Duke
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth."
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well I understand waiting for that long without answer after a few email and even phone call might get frustrating. I'd say keep trying once in a while, as many told you here, busy is not even a close to what they really are. I only dealed once with customer service, but can't say anything wrong. It was slightly faster then what you are experiencing, but maybe they have more at hand ATM then when I sent them my knife. I really doubt they lost your knife. It's simply stuck in the waiting queue.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Weetoots,

I've been trying various Spyderco folders on my keychain.

The first one was ManBug ZDP-189 but had to stop carrying it due to rust issues around the pivot. It was exposed to sweat, humidity and salty water. The size and light weight were great and it feels good in the hand. I used Flitz and removed the rust but no longer use it.

Next one was LadyBug SS which is great but too heavy and a little too small. With VG-10 it had no rust issues at all.

Then, I got the DragonFly Salt SpyderEdge which is fairly light and immune to the elements but a little too large for a keychain. I like the full serrations for cutting seat belts and the tip is great for opening packages. I don't use it on the keychain but in shorts when going exercising and at the beach (7 miles from Pacific Ocean). H-1 won't rust.

Next I got both Ladybug Salt H-1 and ManBug VG-10 with FRN and serrations. LadyBug will stay in the box because the black handle ManBug VG-10 is just right in terms of size, weight and no corrosion.

I'd love to see a ManBug Salt eventually but for now the ManBug VG-10 fits the bill.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln