Given a Paramilitary 2 blade: is CPM S30V lighter than CTS 204p?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharpdressed man

Given a Paramilitary 2 blade: is CPM S30V lighter than CTS 204p?

Post by Sharpdressed man »

I was holding my new green Para 2 and thought it seemed heavier than my satin black CPM S30V. I believe all the parts on these two knives are basically the same except the blade steel, right?
I know it cost more and the CTS 204p is supose to be a "better" steel. Is the CTS 204p more dense (heavier) than the CPM S30V?

Am I just awestruck or is,it really heavier?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

It's probably the G10, if you have a newer model the edges are not contoured.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Sharpdressed man

Post by Sharpdressed man »

That an interesting point. I'll have to look at the two knives to compare. I'm hoping someone can weigh the two to see, and let me know. (I hoping I'm not going crazy too!)
I would think there isn't enough difference in the contents of those two alloys to make a perceivable difference (which would mean I am going crazy). Anyway let's see if some one could weigh the two knifes. My black satin Para2 was purchased in December 2013. So they are fairly current issued knives.
I just checked the G-10 scales and they look identicle.
Thanks...
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

Just an aside...the difference/lack of difference in weight, might have nothing to do with whether or not you are going crazy :eek: ;)
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'll check when I get home tonight but I'm not expecting enough of a difference that I would be able to tell just by holding them.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only way I can think there might be a noticeable weight difference between blades of two different steels would be if they were not finished to exactly the same thickness. Do you have a vernier caliper? Still, thickness and fiberglass content are more likely to differ between colors and cause the weight difference, assuming there actually is one. The other possibility would be differences in the skeletonization of the liners or some other internal change.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Strong-Dog wrote:It's probably the G10, if you have a newer model the edges are not contoured.
The Deacon wrote:The only way I can think there might be a noticeable weight difference between blades of two different steels would be if they were not finished to exactly the same thickness. Do you have a vernier caliper? Still, thickness and fiberglass content are more likely to differ between colors and cause the weight difference, assuming there actually is one. The other possibility would be differences in the skeletonization of the liners or some other internal change.
I agree - some variation in the G10 is probably more likely than a measurable weight difference between the blades, unless they got finished to noticeably different sizes (oppositie ends of the tolerance spectrum).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have a hard time believing that contoured or not contoured edges would have any perceivable difference in the hand. The entire G10 scale weighs nearly nothing, you're talking about such a tiny amount of material that weighs so little. Why not just throw both knives on a scale and see what it says?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Sharpdressed man wrote:Is the CTS 204p more dense (heavier) than the CPM S30V?
No.

An extremely high alloy steel will be slightly more dense than a simple steel, but even high alloy steels are only going to be about 5% more dense. Those steels are very similar in composition so the densities will be within ~1% of each other.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm your density!
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Camo Satin S30V = 107.8 grams

Green KW Sprint w/ CTS204P = 109.7 grams

I would be surprised if anybody could really tell the difference by holding them. I can't.

I also highly doubt I have sharpened that much off of my trusty S30V model.

I did swap the clip on my S30V model with a black one with a hole in it.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

<2 grams? The lunar phase probably has is more detectable than that. :D

Slightly more seriously, I'm sure there's variation from knife to knife, but it's hard to imagine that it's measurable in the hand, at least absent physical changes (e.g., solid vs drilled liners; changes in scale materials).
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

gbelleh wrote:I'm your density!
Lol, nice BTTF reference!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My first job was slicing meat in a deli. I worked with people who could tell you how much .5/1/1.5/2/etc pounds weighed by holding it in their hand but not by the gram. No human is going to detect a weight difference of 2 grams. These are people who spent 8 hours a day estimating weight over and over. If you hold both and think you do it's probably in your head. To give an example of how little 2 grams weighs, some common items that weigh that much are a single paperclip and a $1 bill.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

2 grams is about the weight of two standard paperclips...

TedP
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SharpdM, you could easily find out if it's just the power of suggestion. Just keep your eyes closed and have someone repeatedly place one or the other in your palm and let you guess which it is.

When I got my tan Manix with skeletonized liners, I was amazed that I could easily feel the weight difference between it and my standard hollow ground black s30v model, about 3/4 oz, (~21 grams) on my old non-digital balance (~4.5oz vs 5.25oz).

To verify it before posting this, I got my wife to close her eyes, shuffle them around, then place one in my hand, then check and see if I got it right. I (also with eyes closed of course) got it right all 15 times in a row, even though I was a little uncertain when I got the black one four times in a row -- she got bored and quit after that :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.