radioctive dared me and i did it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Kopa was easy a little while ago. Someone on Knife-BST had a complete set up for sale in one lot.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Donut wrote:The Kopa was easy a little while ago. Someone on Knife-BST had a complete set up for sale in one lot.
Hi, what did that go for, just out of curiosity? Maybe endgame was the buyer and is waiting for Clip to throw up pics! ;) How many total variations of Kopas were there (SW says 17)? Wow!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I saw the Spydiewiki comment on that Cranberry Lum, do you have a pic of that one Roman (or know where one can be located)? What's the (ghost) story with that one? Love that kind of Spyderco lore!
I do not have a picture. But it was posted on the Forum few times and legend was told. According to the legend, Cranberry Lum is one of prototypes of original Lum Chinese and two of them were exited at one time.
see post #6 for pictures
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =Cranberry
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:How many total variations of Kopas were there (SW says 17)? Wow!
IIRC there were plans for 17 or 18 variants, but Spyderco discontinued them after 16. Quite a few Forum members have or had full set. Tony and Daniel probably have 100+ variants each. Tony did amazing job rescaling Kopas.
There were some talks about possible sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Congrats Pat!! KOOOOLLL!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

bh49 wrote:I do not have a picture. But it was posted on the Forum few times and legend was told. According to the legend, Cranberry Lum is one of prototypes of original Lum Chinese and two of them were exited at one time.
see post #6 for pictures

IIRC there were plans for 17 or 18 variants, but Spyderco discontinued them after 16. Quite a few Forum members have or had full set. Tony and Daniel probably have 100+ variants each. Tony did amazing job rescaling Kopas.
There were some talks about possible sprint.
Thank you, that was a very interesting read. I'll try to throw up the cranberry pic (since I'm so good at posting pics! :mad :) , photo credits to Senate from the thread Roman referred to:

[ATTACH]22483[/ATTACH]

I have always been curious to handle a Kopa, they are very elegant and refined looking. As a big Dfly fan also, their size is very appealing. Thank you Roman for the help! Hear that endgame, only 100+ variants or so!
Attachments
SenateCranberryLum.JPG
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Wow, the picture posted correctly on the first try, amazing! That's a beautiful and unusual color on that knife, did Spyderco ever use it on anything else (or really anything period since this Lum is uber-unique)?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Wow, the picture posted correctly on the first try, amazing! That's a beautiful and unusual color on that knife, did Spyderco ever use it on anything else (or really anything period since this Lum is uber-unique)?
Yep, there is a Cranberry Salsa.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
RadioactiveSpyder

Jay_Ev wrote:Yep, there is a Cranberry Salsa.
Mmmm, cranberry salsa! It's like a Where's Waldo game in your sig pic! I got dizzy looking at that beautiful horde of steel!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think it was around $1600 or $130 each.

I remember when I tried to remember the price and went to check, I was way wrong. =\

That and the old Knife-BST is now gone and replaced by the new one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:I think it was around $1600 or $130 each.

I remember when I tried to remember the price and went to check, I was way wrong. =\

That and the old Knife-BST is now gone and replaced by the new one.
That's really a steal considering I have seen the individual models sell for $200 to $250 plus on the bay.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:...
I have always been curious to handle a Kopa, they are very elegant and refined looking. As a big Dfly fan also, their size is very appealing.
The Kopa has better ergos than the Dragonfly IMO. It is a roomier handle and a more open choil area.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I dare him to find the Lil Temp set and then sell them to me! Or just a SE Ayoob
endgame

Post by endgame »

one dare at atime guys please.i
not all my manix are in yet.i need a list if all the preproduction models.i have 2 80mm and 2 83mm.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:The Kopa has better ergos than the Dragonfly IMO. It is a roomier handle and a more open choil area.
+1
Also IMHO Kopa is much better looking in any flavor. And some scales are breath taken. Just checkout the older threads by Tony, Ozspyder, Peter, Wouter and WhyNot.
I used to own two Dragonflies: CF and acid etched. They look nice, but not next to a Kopas. Kopa's blade is more elegant. It is a little longer, a little narrower and no swedge. Handle is thicker and rounded. Much better grip, but Dragonfly is less noticeable in the pocket, especially if you carry it in the watch pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

endgame wrote:one dare at atime guys please.i
not all my manix are in yet.i need a list if all the preproduction models.i have 2 80mm and 2 83mm.
excuse is not accepted. You need more concentration and efforts.

Donut

Post by Donut »

A while back, someone on USN posted pictures of his complete Manix collection. There were two pre-production pieces. I don't know if there were 50 of each or 50 total. I have only seen one ever for sale. Here are his pictures:

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I dare you to give them to me. ;)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
endgame

Post by endgame »

i see 4 original manix
araneae

Post by araneae »

endgame wrote:i see 4 original manix
I think in the pic there are 3 full size and 2 minis.
Foliage Green PE
Black CE
Black PE
Mini CE
Mini PE
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

I'd do Military or kopa if I was you next.