The Spyderco Urban Hype Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

i'm having a difficult time deciding... scrape up the change to buy an orange UKPK now... or wait for an urban?????
Might as well get both, so they, you know, match.

I've almost broken down and picked up a UKPK in orange a couple times, but I think I have things under control now. The deciding factor for me was the mix and matchability of the urban coupled with the wharnie blade option.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Just how CLOSE are we to seeing them on the market?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mark me down as thrilled about the Urban. Fantastic idea. Love the different blade profiles.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

clovisc, go for the UKPK...that way there are more Urban's for me!!!! :D

all kiding aside, i really like the UKPK, but i think when a NKP sees a Caly 3 or UKPK in public, the first thing that scares them is the blade size not the lock/lack of lock. therefore, i will go for the Urban- the quintessential urban friendly knife. Right now, I'm thinking Wharncliffe with G10.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Great thread VultureParade.
The more I think about this knife the more I like the idea. I'm not limited regarding size/lock where I live, but have found myself wanting a modern slip/notch joint to carry.
The prospect of scales with bolsters to make a hybrid new/old school notchjoint slippy is genius, and the ability to put classic blade profiles in a (slightly) larger, more modern knife is very exciting.
I predict this will really hurt my wallet/knifefund
After enlightenment, the laundry.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

I like the Urban.
I have a Caly 3 which i love but a slightly smaller blade comes in handy sometimes arround sheeple.
I also love that this one will come in different flavoures. Bolstered ones frn ones and G10 ones.
I will at least get a leafblade and that wharnie looks extra tasty.
I think my girlfriend will like it too. She is a lefty and sometimes has problems handling locks (esp. framelocks), next to that she don't likes her pocketknives to be too big.

I think this could be a Homerun Hit for spyderco.
Maarten
member of FFG Club
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

i'm glad it will have interchangable scales and blades but it's just as slim as it should be. many times, a company will make a product with interchangability, but generally makes it more bulky and unwieldy in the process.

i am really interested in the "swapping" that will probably happen...

i.e. people trade a FG and orange scale with one another so they can have a knife that is orange from one side and FG from the other!!!

don't think it will happen? i bet you it will!!!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

yea -- if i had a "real job" with "real pay" -- i'd definitely get both of them, all of them... ALL OF THEM! unfortunately, my budget isn't going to allow for that for a little while... :D or... might be a slow process.

but hey... something is better than nothing!!! :D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

quattrokid73 wrote:i.e. people trade a FG and orange scale with one another so they can have a knife that is orange from one side and FG from the other!!!

don't think it will happen? i bet you it will!!!
I bet you it will as well. That's an idea that I hadn't though of before, but makes perfect sense!

We would get Spydie versions of the Subcom's dual-color scheme going on. :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Yes, the Urbans are great little powerhouses. In fact most people who held and inspected them at the mini-meets and at the IWA, commented very possitively about them.

One of the Leeds visitors to the UK mini-meet referred to them as "Slippits". This name struck a chord with Sal and he - with the approval of the initiator of the name - is calling all slipjoints by Spyderco now "Slippits".

" Slippits" are the pocket knives of the future according to Spyderco. In 10-15 years from now, the pocket knife as we know it today will have changed quitte a bit due to more and more restrictive ledgislation thru out the world.

So, we better get used to a shrinking of our beloved pocket knive and forget about the locking features all together.

Pocket knives will become "Slippits" and "Slippits" will still remain as HighTech as posible with super steels and the best handle materials available. Although many may not see it yet, the future looks bright!

Cheers, Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

The more I think about this knife the more I like the idea. I'm not limited regarding size/lock where I live, but have found myself wanting a modern slip/notch joint to carry.
I try to carry a small fixed blade along with small a folder. I use the small fixed for most cutting chores, but the small folder gets used around other people who might not understand my knife-wielding outlook.

I'm hoping that the lack of lock, abundance of color, and small blade will raise a few less eyebrows. I also find that the lack of a lock keeps the overall weight down a great deal, and I'm hoping it will make the Urban slimmer.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Jurphaas wrote:Yes, the Urbans are great little powerhouses. In fact most people who held and inspected them at the mini-meets and at the IWA, commented very possitively about them.

One of the Leeds visitors to the UK mini-meet referred to them as "Slippits". This name struck a chord with Sal and he - with the approval of the initiator of the name - is calling all slipjoints by spyderco now "Slippits".

" Slippits" are the pocket knives of the future according to Spyderco. In 10-15 years from now, the pocket knife as we know it today will have changed quitte a bit due to more and more restrictive ledgislation thru out the world.

So, we better get used to a schrinking of our beloved pocket knive and forget about the locking features all to- gether.

Pocket knives will become "Slippits" and "Slippits" will still remain as HighTech as posible with super steels and the best handle materials available. Although many may not see it yet, the future looks bright!

Cheers, Jurphaas :)
this is a pretty brilliant move... looking ahead to the market of the future... even if it doesn't seem outwardly, immediately positive... and making it more appealing.

clearly, we're all still going to try to carry knives legally, no matter how the laws change. i'm glad sal is prepared! :D
Zenith

I cant wait

Post by Zenith »

I cant wait for the urban to hit our markets!

have to buy a lot!!!just have to
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
cdf

Post by cdf »

I want one , think it will be a good edc for large cities everywhere !

Chris
Senate

Post by Senate »

i was pleasantly surprised to hear Sal talking in Amsterdam about the futur of pocket knives not only from a market and technical perspective but also replacing the knife in the world context and trying to figure out what's coming to them and us in terms of laws... it's a very wise way of thinking pocket knives.

i tested the urban in A'dam and loved it, the fact that we'll have several types of blade of color is awesome.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
tea

Post by tea »

Maybe this has been covered already somewhere. I'm not around much as it leads to spending money...

For those who have handled the urban- how 'difficult' is it to close? I'm assuming there is much more resistance then a SAK?
Also, I know this is a very subjective opinion- cause how do you measure it after all? Nonetheless- impressions?

I love the design- but have my doubts on the lock. Actually surprised that there isn’t a lock option…. Especially considered the popularity of the Caly3 versus the UK PK.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I love the design- but have my doubts on the lock. Actually surprised that there isn’t a lock option…. Especially considered the popularity of the Caly3 versus the UK PK.
I believe the Caly 3 grew from requests for a UKPK with a lock, so if the Urban is popular enough, a locking version could be in the future.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

tea wrote:I love the design- but have my doubts on the lock. Actually surprised that there isn’t a lock option…. Especially considered the popularity of the Caly3 versus the UK PK.
The Urban is really an effort by Sal and the Gang to adapt to changing laws and feelings toward knives. They are making a knife today that will be legal in 10 years (I pray that all of our favorite knives are legal in 10 years, but we have to prepare for the worst. :( ).

Someone had proposed the idea of a "Suburban" (Love that name :p ), which would be an Urban with a lock. I think that if the Urban project takes off, then it could be a very real possibility.

Speaking of possibilities...

It's been said that the Urban has 4 blade shapes planned for it: Leaf, Wharncliffe, Serrated lambsfoot, and "Safety".
Well, I'm very much hoping that there will be a hawkbill version, as well. I realize that Hawkbills aren't the most sheeple friendly blade shape, but I feel that they are an indispensable part of an EDC, and I sincerely hope that the Urban Project can help to make hawkbills seem less "evil" to the eyes of NKP's.

Boy, 4 planned blade shapes (hopefully more... :D ), 2 known colors (hopefully more... :D )... this is going to be an expensive release! :D :D :p
Back from an extended hiatus.
Senate

Post by Senate »

tea wrote: For those who have handled the urban- how 'difficult' is it to close? I'm assuming there is much more resistance then a SAK?
Also, I know this is a very subjective opinion- cause how do you measure it after all? Nonetheless- impressions?
despite the fact that they share the same name, the lock on the SAK and the UKPK/Urban are very different. on a SAK the spring is really stiff and exert a tension on the blade during 90-95% of the opening, which is why they're so prone to close on your fingers. on the contrary the urban/UKPK have a two steps opening: first step from closed to half opened position is like a SAK, the spring is pushed back by the increasing size of the tang of the blade and as a reaction puts tension on the blade to close it. once arrived at half opened position there's small depression on the tang of the blade where the spring rest in the same position as if the knife was closed, no tension here. the knife wouldn't move from this position if left alone, i believe a SAK would eventually close itself overtime if left in the same position.
then you have the second step from half-opened to fully opened, which seems to have a constant and small/weak action on the spring therefore not a lot of tension on the blade up to the final position.
breaking the opening in 2 steps has given the slipjoint a great security, a SAK just want to bite your fingers as soon as it starts to close, a UKPK won't close itself before you passed half opened position, and there's a bump to pass so that definitely requires human interaction.

don't know if i'm being clear, it's quite hard to explain. i suggest you try it in hands if you have a store near you, you will definitely be conquered. :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'm VERY eagerly awaiting the serrated lambsfoot Urban ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p