traditional african spydie? any interest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Just occurred to me: why am I not using green FRN?

And Clovisc, it's my pleasure to help :) .
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

mr_bsii

highly interested

Post by mr_bsii »

I've been following this for several reasons. I was really interested in your (clovisc) story regarding your time in Africa. You don't have a website or blog or something with more details, do you? Sounds like it'd make a good book. I'm also really interested in this knife because of the shape of the blade as well as the humanitarian potential. The only thing that concerns me about the blade shape if you go with the H1/Hollow Grind is the strength of that tip. It seems to me like another grind might be needed to get some strength out there. Either way I'll probably be getting one... or two if I can cough up the coinage. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

mr_bsii
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

hmm -- i wondered about the strength of the tip, too, if hollow ground... although, i've been extremely impressed by the tip strength of the hollow ground police. i'd bet sal can come up with a good solution to the strength issue...

welcome to the forums mr_bsii. nope -- i don't have a website or blog about my life in africa... i had pretty much zero internet access, except if i was in the capitol for some reason... and i kinda don't like drawing a lot of attention to myself. this knife project is a little different, though. :D

as far as a book goes, there are quite a few books out there written by returned Peace Corps volunteers from all over the world. don't think I'd ever write non-fiction, as that's always a huge legal headache, and a number of things i'd want to say could stir up trouble.

if you have any specific questions about my life in africa or the peace corps, you or anyone else is welcome to PM me!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

This is a cool thread, Clovisc, I can't wait to see the final version of this knife...I haven't heard about cassava in a while....funny, when I was a kid in Jamaica, the "locals" would sell (out of wooden shacks set up on the beach) fried fish and "bammi" ...which looks like a 2cm thick "pancake" made out of mashed cassava....fried up in the pan with the fish.....at least that's what i remember from 1977! But it's kinda like instead of ordering fish and chips, you'd order fish & bammi on the beach! :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

yea -- i know cassava is also a mainstay of carribean food, especially to impoverished people. it's a staple food all around the world!

funny you should mention jamaica... in zambia, jamaican music was huge! don't think i ever got a cab in the capitol, lusaka, that wasn't blasting reggae... the drivers often had curious vegetable odors about them, as well... hmmm...

my hair (in the front) came down to my chin -- people in zambia who didn't know me thought this meant i was a rasta, even though it was straight and not dreaded. i'd often get people shouting "rastaman!" or "jah-man!" at me, and raising their fists in the universal sign of jah-power... ha!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

heheh that's quite amusing clovisc, that the hair would make u a Rasta.... ;) :cool:
Attachments
bobuprising.jpg
bobuprising.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
brian
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i was also accused of being a rasta for wearing zambia's national colors (green, black, orange, and red)!!! while i'm hardly a rasta, i have come to really appreciate reggae... lately i've been listening to dillenger, big youth, dennis alcapone -- a lot of the old DJ/toast style artists.

one of my zam-rasta friends who lived near a hitchhiking spot i always used to sit at told me he insulted an off-duty police officer once, and as a result, the officer and some of his buddies cut off his dreadlocks in the middle of his head, then shaved a stripe down the middle of his skull, making it look like he had giant ears. he ended up shaving the rest of his head.

(a little off topic, but trying to keep this thread alive!) :D
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

funny story clovisc, makes me think of some of Marley's tunes like "crazy baldheads".....seems like extreme punishment from the police there.....to make a Rastaman look like a crazy baldhead.... :rolleyes: :)
brian
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

clovisc wrote:i was also accused of being a rasta for wearing zambia's national colors (green, black, orange, and red)!!! while i'm hardly a rasta, i have come to really appreciate reggae... lately i've been listening to dillenger, big youth, dennis alcapone -- a lot of the old DJ/toast style artists.

one of my zam-rasta friends who lived near a hitchhiking spot i always used to sit at told me he insulted an off-duty police officer once, and as a result, the officer and some of his buddies cut off his dreadlocks in the middle of his head, then shaved a stripe down the middle of his skull, making it look like he had giant ears. he ended up shaving the rest of his head.

(a little off topic, but trying to keep this thread alive!) :D
clovisc,
Never fear, we're moving forward here. I've just sent an email to Mr. Phiri regarding laying the ground work for this project. :)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ceelias

So....When do we pay!!!

Post by ceelias »

:D I know......its early in the process..... design.......negotiations.....scheduling......planning.......materials......manufacturing......QC.......testing.......packing......shipping.......and likely many sub steps I've glossed over. Sigh.... But a guess, either by Spyderco or an educated guess by others who've seen this process before would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

TazKristi wrote:clovisc,
Never fear, we're moving forward here. I've just sent an email to Mr. Phiri regarding laying the ground work for this project. :)

Kristi
great, kristi! and thanks!!!!

i sent donald an email too, although he hasn't gotten back to me yet. he might be travelling right now for his work... if i don't hear from him within the next handful of days, i'll get you in touch with an alternative.
TazKristi

Pics

Post by TazKristi »

Here are pictures of the knife that clovisc sent Sal... enjoy!
Attachments
Chokwes 003.jpg
Chokwes 003.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Chokwes 002.jpg
Chokwes 002.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Chokwes 001.jpg
Chokwes 001.jpg (57.41 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

3 more pics to enjoy...
Attachments
Chokwes 007.jpg
Chokwes 007.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Chokwes 006.jpg
Chokwes 006.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Chokwes 004.jpg
Chokwes 004.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanx for the pics Kristi.....I can't wait to see the :spyder: -version.... :)
brian
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

jaislandboy wrote:thanx for the pics Kristi.....I can't wait to see the :spyder: -version.... :)
I agree completely. I'm now somewhat wishing that the spydie version will have a front bolster.

That hand made blade is beautiful though, but I can't tell why. I really like the slightly swept back tip.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

ahh... thank you, kristy!

it is so nice to see one of these again! :D
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

How about "chokwe" as a name for the knife?
Is that a lanyard loop on the Pommel?
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I like it! Sure, it looks rather beat up, scratched, and primitive, but I think that adds to it!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Now this would be a really cool Forum knife.
G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Th232 wrote:I like it! Sure, it looks rather beat up, scratched, and primitive, but I think that adds to it!
they certainly are well balanced knives, sturdy users that could take a LOT of abuse (ex: chopping cassava sticks all day)... and while not the prettiest knives in zambia, certainly one of the most practical designs. (kinda like a spyderco!) to me, these knives seemed pretty sophisticated -- not so much "primitive."

i see the geometry as abstract and compelling. remember, lots of the great early 20th century "modernist" painters and sculptures derived ideas for their abstractions and geometrically-heavy artwork from african designs that had been around for hundreds of years!!!