let's settle this once and for all

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could only carry a knife from ONE Spyderco family, what would it be?

Military family
29%
Manix family
9%
Native family
17%
Salt family
16%
Yo family
1%
Endura/Endela/Delica family
19%
Mule family
1%
Fixed family
1%
Rescue family
1%
Other/discussed below
6%

Total votes: 161

vivi

Re: let's settle this once and for all

Post by vivi »

Salts and it isn't even close. Pacific Salt + Aqua Salt and I'm set.

That said there are other folding designs I prefer to Pacifics, which are a little small for my hands. I'd rather have a Military 1 or 2 Salt, Police Salt, Manix XL LW Salt, or a Chief Salt than the Pacific. Better ergos etc.
:unicorn
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I choose the sage series so I picked other. I just think if your limiting yourself to 1 family you have to carry and use every knife in that family. The sage series doesn't have combo edges.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There are many, many threads on this same topic. They come around every six months or so, it seems. For me, it would have to be a Manix 2 back lock, or an Endura
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Military
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
R100

Post by R100 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:27 am
Military
I would say the same except that I only really feel safe with backlocks in my pants or jacket pocket on the bike. Do you worry about this when you are riding? I am about to head out for a 3 week trip into far western Queensland and I'll be carrying a Siren in the jacket and SE Magnacut N5 in the pants pocket. SNK Military is my current favourite though and I love the Crucarta PM2 so the poll question is hard for me.

Dan
mokele

Post by mokele »

Stretches (hoping to see a salt version of them)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

R100 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:39 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
Military
I would say the same except that I only really feel safe with backlocks in my pants or jacket pocket on the bike. Do you worry about this when you are riding? I am about to head out for a 3 week trip into far western Queensland and I'll be carrying a Siren in the jacket and SE Magnacut N5 in the pants pocket. SNK Military is my current favourite though and I love the Crucarta PM2 so the poll question is hard for me.

Dan
Hey Dan! Yes I also worry about these ball detent blades opening in my pocket. When I read your reply the other day about taking the Siren on your bike trip, I was nodding in agreement... I have a UKPK Salt in my riding jacket, plus a Military S110V in my Camelbak, and a Silky folding saw, and a multitool, and, and... 🙂

Slight tangent: I actually used the folding saw this weekend for a legitimate purpose while out on a day ride in the forest. I had to cut a dry branch to an exact length as a support under the bash plate to raise the front wheel while fixing a flat tyre. And I took a picture!

Fortunately in real life most of us have multiple options from different Spydie families to satisfy every possible usecase we can think of! 😄
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
R100

Post by R100 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:12 am
R100 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:39 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
Military

Dan
Hey Dan! Yes I also worry about these ball detent blades opening in my pocket. When I read your reply the other day about taking the Siren on your bike trip, I was nodding in agreement... I have a UKPK Salt in my riding jacket, plus a Military S110V in my Camelbak, and a Silky folding saw, and a multitool, and, and... 🙂

Slight tangent: I actually used the folding saw this weekend for a legitimate purpose while out on a day ride in the forest. I had to cut a dry branch to an exact length as a support under the bash plate to raise the front wheel while fixing a flat tyre. And I took a picture!

Fortunately in real life most of us have multiple options from different Spydie families to satisfy every possible usecase we can think of! 😄
Ah yes, every so often these things do happen. The Silky is a great idea. I carry a solid fixed blade I can baton with in an emergency but the saw would be better. My sister has recently bought an Africa Twin and I will be meeting up with her mid trip. She will be carrying a Stretch 1 I bought her years ago before an extended motorcycle adventure. No doubt it will be fairly dull and give me a chance to give my field sharpening kit a good workout! The growing Stretch family is another great one and I am hoping it will include a Salt eventually.

Dan
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'd definitively vote salt, but that feels like cheating as it isn't really its own family.
Most knives in the salt series are variations on models from one of the established families, so in my opinion I'd say knives like the Salt 2 and Pac Salt 2 are knives in the Endura family.

If I were to play fair and pretend the salt option wasn't there, things would get difficult. Does the Dragonfly even have a family? Would be sad to leave that one behind.

Endura family is probably my safest bet right now, but only by a small margin. If there was a mini Stretch I'd probably go that way. If the upcoming Lil'Native LW proves to be as slim and carriable as the DF2, the Native fam would probably be my jam.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:48 am
I'd definitively vote salt, but that feels like cheating as it isn't really its own family.
Most knives in the salt series are variations on models from one of the established families, so in my opinion I'd say knives like the Salt 2 and Pac Salt 2 are knives in the Endura family.

If I were to play fair and pretend the salt option wasn't there, things would get difficult. Does the Dragonfly even have a family? Would be sad to leave that one behind.

Endura family is probably my safest bet right now, but only by a small margin. If there was a mini Stretch I'd probably go that way. If the upcoming Lil'Native LW proves to be as slim and carriable as the DF2, the Native fam would probably be my jam.
Just me trying to help but as far as i know the dragonfly belongs to the endura family.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:18 pm
Salts and it isn't even close. Pacific Salt + Aqua Salt and I'm set.

That said there are other folding designs I prefer to Pacifics, which are a little small for my hands. I'd rather have a Military 1 or 2 Salt, Police Salt, Manix XL LW Salt, or a Chief Salt than the Pacific. Better ergos etc.
And here i was thinking you loved you’re original c95 the most… i am genuinely shocked. :astonished :squinting-tongue
Last edited by apollo on Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:15 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:37 pm
S A L T !!!!! 💪
the salt series is truly something special. i'd still be carrying $40 crappy steel flippers that feel like flea market knives to me now if it wasn't for the salt series bringing me back to spyderco.

i always say the manix is my favorite knife, but i wouldn't even know it existed if not for the pacific salt, which is also my most carried knife. you can't beat a maintence free knife that can handle all environments.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Carrying a fixed blade more often lately and having a lot of mules made and in production.

So many handle shapes and materials but my latest Ultem in Magnacut would suffice many environments
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:07 am
Carrying a fixed blade more often lately and having a lot of mules made and in production.

So many handle shapes and materials but my latest Ultem in Magnacut would suffice many environments
Man those are beautiful 👊
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:37 pm
ramblinwreck wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:34 pm
Poll fail no Chaparral
It doesn't have a family, does it? Love wolves are the reason I put "other". I was limited to 10 poll options and wouldbt list every model even if I could.
I'm pretty sure the Sage & Chaparral belong to the same family. Besides the visual similarity in terms of their overall design lines & Taichung origin, note the tree/wood-themed names & their related original concepts of "same steel but different handle scales" (in the case of the Chap) and "same steel but different locking mechanisms" (in the case of the Sage).
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:21 am
ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:37 pm
ramblinwreck wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:34 pm
Poll fail no Chaparral
It doesn't have a family, does it? Love wolves are the reason I put "other". I was limited to 10 poll options and wouldbt list every model even if I could.
I'm pretty sure the Sage & Chaparral belong to the same family. Besides the visual similarity in terms of their overall design lines & Taichung origin, note the tree/wood-themed names & their related original concepts of "same steel but different handle scales" (in the case of the Chap) and "same steel but different locking mechanisms" (in the case of the Sage).
I forgot about the Sage family :-||
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Endura in my pocket since 1993. I'm still going to buy and use other knives so I'm unsure what this thread "once and for all" accomplished.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:05 am
Endura in my pocket since 1993. I'm still going to buy and use other knives so I'm unsure what this thread "once and for all" accomplished.
It wasnt meant to accomplish anything it was just for fun
Stas

Post by Stas »

Salt family, because all other families I love will be there on day :D
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Other:

The Caly family.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189