Para3 blade stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Re: Para3 blade stock

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 pm
Eric's design. Eric's call. I'll let him know you want a Tanto PM3.

sal
Cheers Sal. No worries if not, I just really love my PM2 tanto and imagine a similarly equipped PM3 would be similarly delightful.

I can never get my head around why people seem to write off tanto blades as impractical or only for tactical applications (especially Spyderco’s iteration) - the PM2 tanto is a work of art through engineering in my opinion and cuts like a dream.

Have a great day,
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

*triple post 🤦🏼‍♂️ IT is my nemesis. Bring back the carrier pigeon.
Last edited by JoviAl on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

*Double post
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve just been reading through all of the comments on here and can’t help but think that we are wonderfully spoiled for choice with excellent knives these days. As one person pointed out (sorry, I have terrible memory for names) Spyderco produces loads of slicey knives in countless different permutations along with the more hardcore Henry varieties with thicker blade stock. The PM2 and PM3 might cut somewhat differently in the same way a Native Chief and Native 5 might, but their design essence is consistent throughout the numerical iterations.

While we’re on the subject of smaller knives, I think an often overlooked but similar alternative to the PM3 is the Smock (yes, I know it’s a button actuated comp lock, but still). I just pulled my M4 one out of my selection case and it is a rather slicey little monster.
- Al

Dream knives -
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

munchs wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:28 am
I like the Para 3's blade stock. It cuts great. I have 2 Para 3's, both with G10 handles.

Its blade spine thickness would be a problem IF the blade were narrow; but it's not narrow, it's a wide blade. As wide as the Military's and the PM2's blades. The blade is just shorter in length. For the length it's at, it cuts just as well as the Military or the PM2 in terms of primary grind and edge bevels.

If I want thinner blade stock in an approximately 3" bladed folder, there's already the Delica, Native 5, Chaparral, UKPK Salt, etc.

Jim
I do agree.
Para3's blade stock is great as is.
Yep! I feels like some make it seem like you have to struggle to cut something with the Para 3s and PM2s. I'm happy with them just the way they are. I have plenty of knives with thinner blade stock. There's never been a time where I've said...Oh I better use a knife with thinner blade stock because those Para 3's and PM2s I have aren't going to cut up that cardboard or open that package
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

For sure you are right. It sounds like a lot of nitpicking, and of course the Para3 (BD1N!) LW cuts great. The thinner bladestock of the Delica does slice better though, in my usage.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:41 pm
munchs wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 am
James Y wrote:
Yep! I feels like some make it seem like you have to struggle to cut something with the Para 3s and PM2s. I'm happy with them just the way they are. I have plenty of knives with thinner blade stock. There's never been a time where I've said...Oh I better use a knife with thinner blade stock because those Para 3's and PM2s I have aren't going to cut up that cardboard or open that package
cabfrank wrote: For sure you are right. It sounds like a lot of nitpicking, and of course the Para3 (BD1N!) LW cuts great. The thinner bladestock of the Delica does slice better though, in my usage.
To me it seems like as if some think this is a Para 3 bashing. Not at all!

Again, it cuts just fine and is a great little knife!

In my experience though it is just a fact that the blade still is fatter than it needs to be. I never, ever even came close to having to perform a small folder task where a 3 mm blade (instead of 3.7) - still pretty stout for such a small knife - would not have been strong enough.

OF COURSE a Para 3 will "cut up that package" perfectly fine.
It is just that here we ARE discussing details on a high level, cause we are knife enthusiasts

Otherwise I could also say: "Why does one want to try different supersteels, S30 V just cuts fine" "Why bother with 2 degrees per side more acute edge angles, 40 incl. cuts just fine" , "why appreciating the amazing ergos Sal gives his designs, for the occasional "EDC cut" an average handle does just fine".

I dare to say (and could be wrong of course):
If there was no PM2 and no Millie and the Para 3 just an indeed very cool version of those, but it (the Para 3) would have been developed as a completely new and independent model, it would not have become THAT immensly popular, especially amongst real knife (performance) enthusiasts. I think models like the Sage or Delica, with thinner blades and handles optimized to offer as much space as possible on their short overall length would more often have the upper hand.

Let's put it this way: I think the Para 3 is most perfectly done concerning the intention to create a true, smaller PM2 - but some of the features it just has to have for being just that (a true smaller PM2) are not totally ideal generally (thick blade, blocky, large carry for the edge length, pinky hook restricts space on the already short handle).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
R100

Post by R100 »

James Y wrote:
I like the Para 3's blade stock. It cuts great. I have 2 Para 3's, both with G10 handles.

Its blade spine thickness would be a problem IF the blade were narrow; but it's not narrow, it's a wide blade. As wide as the Military's and the PM2's blades. The blade is just shorter in length. For the length it's at, it cuts just as well as the Military or the PM2 in terms of primary grind and edge bevels.

If I want thinner blade stock in an approximately 3" bladed folder, there's already the Delica, Native 5, Chaparral, UKPK Salt, etc.

Jim
I agree with this. The Para 3 cuts just fine because the blade is so tall that the primary grind angle is quite good. In contrast, some people think the Ikuchi is a good slicer but if its blade was as tall as a Para 3 it would be over 6.3mm thick! I have both and can say the Para 3 is a much better slicer. Even an Endura would be a bit over 3.4mm thick if it was as tall as the Para 3. As others have pointed out we are spoiled for choice by Spyderco but there is a good reason the Para 3 is as popular as it is. It's a great small but robust EDC knife.

Dan
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 am
To me it seems like as if some think this is a Para 3 bashing. Not at all!

Again, it cuts just fine and is a great little knife!
Yeah, I too feel like my criticism is taken the wrong way here.
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 am
Let's put it this way: I think the Para 3 is most perfectly done concerning the intention to create a true, smaller PM2 - but some of the features it just has to have for being just that (a true smaller PM2) are not totally ideal generally (thick blade, blocky, large carry for the edge length, pinky hook restricts space on the already short handle).
And this touches on my main gripe with the P3. What I wanted/hoped for was a more pocket friendly PM2, not just a shorter blade. As I said, I sold my PM2 before I got my P3, so I've never compared them side by side, but with the P3 being shorter and just as chunky, combined with that awkward clip placement, I'm quite convinced my old PM2 carried better. Whatever you think about the rest of the knife, that's where they lost me with regards to the design philosophy.

As far as cutting performance go, the blade stock isn't that big of a deal. It cuts OK. But, like Wartstein I don't think a thinner blade stock would have made it worse for any use it's likely to see. It would however have made it lighter and thinner in pocket.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:03 am

And this touches on my main gripe with the P3. What I wanted/hoped for was a more pocket friendly PM2, not just a shorter blade. As I said, I sold my PM2 before I got my P3, so I've never compared them side by side, but with the P3 being shorter and just as chunky, combined with that awkward clip placement, I'm quite convinced my old PM2 carried better. Whatever you think about the rest of the knife, that's where they lost me with regards to the design philosophy.

As far as cutting performance go, the blade stock isn't that big of a deal. It cuts OK. But, like Wartstein I don't think a thinner blade stock would have made it worse for any use it's likely to see. It would however have made it lighter and thinner in pocket.
This is why the Para 3 LW is one of my favorite knives of all time, and the G10 para 3 is just "meh" for me. While the Para3LW still has the thick blade stock "issue" it is ergonomically better than the G10 model and also carries much nicer, mostly due to the rounded handle and the fact that the clip placement actually makes sense because they don't prioritize a gigantic lanyard hole.