Para3 blade stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Para3 blade stock

Post by elena86 »

Who else thinks the Para3 has a ticker blade stock than it needs ? Not the mention the thickness bte. Too bad … I really think that Spyderco should remedy this. They did it with the Lil’Native allready. This would transform the Para3 into a helluva 3 incher.
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: Para3 blade stock

Post by Evil D »

Does it use the same hardware as the Para 2? Might be a cost savings thing. Maybe they could just grind the blades themselves thinner from the same stock thickness?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I said it quite often already:

It is a bit of a mystery to me why the Para 3 has that fat blade stock indeed.
Just like its biggest sibling, the Millie, but of course with a lot less tapering going on.

Almost 50 % thicker than a Delica, over 80 % thicker than a Chap - both still more than strong enough, but noticeable better performing and slicier small folders in my experience (and real world testing).

Don´t know why they did not take the "from Endura to Delica" approach with the Para 3 - making everything smaller, but at least the blade stock (Endura 3 mm, scaled down on the smaller Delica to 2.5 mm stock - the Para 3 though 3.7 mm, just like Millie and PM2)

Now of course tapering, blade height, thickness behind the edge, grind angle all play a role here too - but blade stock is one of the parameters that can´t easily be altered by the end user.

And even if one would want to make use of the fat blade in some completely unrealistic crazy prying test: Most likely the pretty fine tip would snap long before the strength of the overbuilt blade could come into play.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Perhaps the thicker the blade on a compression lock, the more wear the lock can endure, the longer it will last?

It seems like most compression lock knives have fairly thick blade stock, 3mm or more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 pm
Perhaps the thicker the blade on a compression lock, the more wear the lock can endure, the longer it will last?

It seems like most compression lock knives have fairly thick blade stock, 3mm or more.

The Ouroboros is 2.5mm so they can definitely do a compression lock with thinner stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have not pursued the Para3, so I’ll just wonder aloud whether Eric was trying to get the PM2 into length-restrictive jurisdictions rather than to produce a dainty PM2.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love the Para 3 LW as it is. Would I love it even more with thinner bladestock, and thus a little thinner overall? Yes, I think I would. No complaints though, it's still a great knife.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:20 pm
cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 pm

The Ouroboros is 2.5mm so they can definitely do a compression lock with thinner stock.
"most". The Salsa and Ikuchi are also 2.5mm.
sal

Post by sal »

Compression Locks work better with the wider ramp.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’m intrigued as to how a PM3 might perform with a hollow grind. The PM2 tanto’s hollow ground section is fantastic and makes it cut quite differently to the FFG PM2’s. I suppose I’d just need a fairly tough steel so I don’t lose too much critical structural integrity on the blade - cruwear or 4V maybe 🤔

Rather annoyingly I only currently own an S110V PM3. Maybe it’s time to pick up another and put my money where my mouth is with a regrind to find out.

*I have no issue with the blade stock as it is. I just pick up a different knife if I want to slice stuff up. I find the PM3’s relative girth pretty good for making kindling as it splits bits of wood up much like a wedge.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I would also gleefully buy any permutation of a PM3 tanto…just sayin! 😉 *cough cough, Sal*
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
sal

Post by sal »

Eric's design. Eric's call. I'll let him know you want a Tanto PM3.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:06 pm
I....

*I have no issue with the blade stock as it is. I just pick up a different knife if I want to slice stuff up. I find the PM3’s relative girth pretty good for making kindling as it splits bits of wood up much like a wedge.

Good and interesting point!

The Para 3 is a very cool little knife indeed, and I have to repeat: I´d still take it over almost any small folder of any other brand, no doubt!

Just as an EDC knife for me there are even better choices in Spydercos lineup - still strong blades, that slice and cut a bit better than a Para 3 due to their more performance-oriented, thinner blade stock (Delica...)

As you say: The more "wedgy" Para 3 of course has its role and place - but people who turn the screws on every possible parameter of sheer cutting performance, perhaps should start out with a thinner blade. Just my 2c.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think the Para 3 does fine as-is. It’s a Lil Chunky knife, that’s its thing.

I do still like Para 3 LW better, though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:52 pm

sal
There you have it. I figured there was a reason for it

We've been through this more than once. The Para 3 cuts fine as it is. Just like the PM2 cuts fine and that's one of the all-time greats. Get them sharp and they slice through cardboard with ease. Every knife doesn't have to be insanely thin behind the edge. In fact most of the mainstream models I have by Spyderco and a variety of other makers aren't ground really thin behind the edge. I'm guessing there's a reason for that
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the Para 3's blade stock. It cuts great. I have 2 Para 3's, both with G10 handles.

Its blade spine thickness would be a problem IF the blade were narrow; but it's not narrow, it's a wide blade. As wide as the Military's and the PM2's blades. The blade is just shorter in length. For the length it's at, it cuts just as well as the Military or the PM2 in terms of primary grind and edge bevels.

If I want thinner blade stock in an approximately 3" bladed folder, there's already the Delica, Native 5, Chaparral, UKPK Salt, etc.

Jim
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:06 pm
I’m intrigued as to how a PM3 might perform with a hollow grind. The PM2 tanto’s hollow ground section is fantastic and makes it cut quite differently to the FFG PM2’s. I suppose I’d just need a fairly tough steel so I don’t lose too much critical structural integrity on the blade - cruwear or 4V maybe 🤔

Rather annoyingly I only currently own an S110V PM3. Maybe it’s time to pick up another and put my money where my mouth is with a regrind to find out.

I’d love to try a normal leaf bladed PM2 or PM3 with a hollow grind. I’m not one for tantos but I’d love to try a thin behind the edge hollow grind, reminds me of my endura 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:17 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:52 pm

sal
There you have it. I figured there was a reason for it

We've been through this more than once. The Para 3 cuts fine as it is. Just like the PM2 cuts fine and that's one of the all-time greats. Get them sharp and they slice through cardboard with ease. Every knife doesn't have to be insanely thin behind the edge. In fact most of the mainstream models I have by Spyderco and a variety of other makers aren't ground really thin behind the edge. I'm guessing there's a reason for that

Sure!

But then I've never heard of any comp.lock problems with for example the "just" 3mm blade stock Sage.

The Para 3 cuts perfectly fine as it is, but keeping all else the same it would be an even better performer with 3mm stock and still way strong enough.

Not every Spydie does have to be a laser cutter though of course!
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I've said this before, so it could get boring for some.
When I got my PM2 I was new to Spyderco and quite new to folding knives in general. The knife, and not to mention the lock, impressed me and stood out in my then modest collection. The only thing that kept me from using and carrying it more was the size. More specifically size in pocket.
Knife carry is a legal gray zone around here, and not overly socially accepted, so you kind of want to keep a low profile. The PM2 wasn't ideal for that, and also a bit more knife than I really needed for EDC. So all things considered, a similar knife that was downsized in all dimensions, maybe with the exception of handle and blade height, would offer only benefits without sacrificing anything I needed.
When I heard the rumors that a smaller PM2 was in the works, I got excited. So excited in fact, I sold my PM2 based on the rumors, before the Para 3 was even revealed.
As you'll probably figured out from the long intro, the Para 3 was a big let down. This was going to be my perfect compression lock EDC knife, but if anything It was even more conspicuous in pocket, being just as thick and with more handle sticking out.

As time moved on and I discovered more and more pro's with the good old, boring mid back lock, I managed to let my disappointment go and I was able to embrace the P3 for what it is instead of focusing on what it isn't. For me it has become a very reliable work knife. Not like my day job type of work, but real work. Projects, upgrades and home improvements around the house etc. The ergo's work really well for me, and while I get Wartsteins point of it being an overbuilt knife that can't be used hard because of its dainty tip, in my perspective it just offers both options if used right. Back towards the heel I can really go to work with an edge supported by lots of steel, which again is supported by a rock solid lock, locked into my hand with almost perfect ergos. And yet I have fairly precise tip, well suited for precision cuts.

So all is good in the end? Nahh.. Not really. I found a niche where it works well, but it's a narrow use case. One that would probably be just as well served with my old PM2. As I understand the P3 sells like hot cakes, so there's no motive for Spyderco/Eric to go back to the drawing board to make the ideal comp lock EDC that I had imagined the P3 to be, I get that. I wouldn't mind if that happened though.
munchs

Post by munchs »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:28 am
I like the Para 3's blade stock. It cuts great. I have 2 Para 3's, both with G10 handles.

Its blade spine thickness would be a problem IF the blade were narrow; but it's not narrow, it's a wide blade. As wide as the Military's and the PM2's blades. The blade is just shorter in length. For the length it's at, it cuts just as well as the Military or the PM2 in terms of primary grind and edge bevels.

If I want thinner blade stock in an approximately 3" bladed folder, there's already the Delica, Native 5, Chaparral, UKPK Salt, etc.

Jim
I do agree.
Para3's blade stock is great as is.