manbug wharncliffe chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: manbug wharncliffe chat

Post by ChrisinHove »

I found the extra weight of the G10 variant of the Jester counterproductive to how and when I want to carry a bug. Same with the McBee, tbh - a great design but just too dense for me.

I’m intrigued by the Manbug Leaf idea, but more useful than the wharnie??
Crox

Post by Crox »

Igi964 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:56 pm
I have Manbug wharncliffe full black since february. Add a Dragonfly pocket clip. Like it very much for city carry, great package opener, far more usefull than I thought. And I had two Ladybugs and sold them. This one is a keeper. Sorry no pics, its PITA to post something😢
Are you saying you DID add a pocket wire clip to the Manbug? I would be interested in how you did it, if so.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It’s not everyday you run across a knife that makes the Squarehead look big! New blacked-out Wharnie Manbug arrived today. I’m gonna enjoy this little guy. I need to find one of those titanium beads with the blue grooves, the bronze storm trooper is a mite weighty.
E3093395-889E-4279-B770-45A37E48DF71.jpeg
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:11 pm
It’s not everyday you run across a knife that makes the Squarehead look big! New blacked-out Wharnie Manbug arrived today. I’m gonna enjoy this little guy. I need to find one of those titanium beads with the blue grooves, the bronze storm trooper is a mite weighty.

How’s the spine feel? Rough or smooth? I have some machining issues on mine which don’t impact operations but I notice them.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sethwm wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:45 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:11 pm

How’s the spine feel? Rough or smooth? I have some machining issues on mine which don’t impact operations but I notice them.
The spine feels smooth, good traction on the ramp. Action feels a little gritty. Will probably do the hot water rinse and compressed air treatment. I’ve never taken one of these little guys apart, not sure how difficult they are to get the backspring set right.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Crox wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:15 am
Igi964 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:56 pm
I have Manbug wharncliffe full black since february. Add a Dragonfly pocket clip. Like it very much for city carry, great package opener, far more usefull than I thought. And I had two Ladybugs and sold them. This one is a keeper. Sorry no pics, its PITA to post something😢

Are you saying you DID add a pocket wire clip to the Manbug? I would be interested in how you did it, if so.

It was not my idea. I took inspiration from this this.
viewtopic.php?t=57634
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:58 pm
I'm currently carrying a Manbug Leaf that is a proto that we made. I carried the Wharnie Manbug quite a bit and was quite pleased with it. I think the Manbug Leaf might be even more useful. The Manbug Leaf is being built now.
Hey Sal,

One observation I have about the wharncliffe versus the normal blade is that the WC blade is taller, and it puts the spydiehole in a slightly more ergonomic position versus the normal blade. I prefer the hole placement on the WC. Will the leaf have hole placement more like the normal or WC blade?

Seth
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A discussion for further down the road after the leaf manbugs, but in addition to a hawkbill Manbug, I wouldn't mind a Manbug sized Jester.

The Jester has been a very handy knife around the lab. Besides cutting things, the back of the tip has been quite useful for toggling dip-switches on circuit boards. I used to use the micro screwdriver on my leatherman, but the Jester is much more convenient.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Got mine all sharpened and made a fob for it. 13DPS mirror finish. 119 BESS (I feel like that should be lower, but that's what it tested at). It'll slice through a paper towel cleanly. Going to carry it at work this week.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

olywa

Post by olywa »

Postman just delivered my new Manbug Wharnie SE. Impressively sharp edge and solid all the way around (snug screws, well centered, solid lockup, etc.).

time to tie a pinky lanyard...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wharncliffe Manbug got put to work this afternoon. We got a new ladder in the lab, and I had to break down large box(es) it came in.

Very capable. Easy cutting, and it maintained it's edge with very little dulling. I think the performance owes a lot to the edge angle of 13DPS and the mirror polished finish optimized for push cutting. Lets face it there's not a whole lot of real estate for slicing, but it push cuts great. And the edge angle helps with edge retention. Im very happy with this knife.

The Wharncliffe shape is very well suited to knives this size (imo).

hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

bug1.jpg
bug2.jpg
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I have been cutting wrapping paper with mine. It works so much better than the scissors my wife had out. I keep it on my keychain. It gets a ton of work. Great knife.
MRj “Weak things break!”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:40 am
bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg
Good looking paracord fob.

hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:55 am
Good looking paracord fob.
Thanks, I like the purple/Black combo. The bead was a surprise gift from BHQ years ago. This time I used a small keyring so I can put it on other knives.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:58 pm
I'm currently carrying a Manbug Leaf that is a proto that we made. I carried the Wharnie Manbug quite a bit and was quite pleased with it. I think the Manbug Leaf might be even more useful. The Manbug Leaf is being built now.

I think I'd like the original VG-10 version, a K390 version and a SPY2 version. Once the Mangug Leaf does come out, I'd be interested in your opinions of what variations would be desired.

Hey SpyderGrill,

Jut put one in your pocket for a while and you might be surprised at just how convenient a small sharp ergonomic knife can be

sal
Ok Sal, on my list to try
olywa

Post by olywa »

I 5th-pocket carry the blacked out PE MB Wharny whenever my primary is a SE. Same for the SE MB Wharnie when my primary is a PE. I dream of another Jester release one day so that I can finally pick one up.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

olywa wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:20 pm
I 5th-pocket carry the blacked out PE MB Wharny whenever my primary is a SE. Same for the SE MB Wharnie when my primary is a PE. I dream of another Jester release one day so that I can finally pick one up.
Oh that’s smart doing the opposite
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I use my PE wharnie manbug when I'm ashore and my SE sheepsfoot salt manbug when I'm on the water. They both serve the same niche for me. I use them both as 5th pocket knives, otherwise they each live in a pocket-sized survival kit, one for when I'm hiking or skiing and one that's part of my ditch kit in case I have to leave a boat. They both work fantastically well for me in this role and if I'm going on a hike the wharnie is often the only knife I take.

I'd love to buy a plain-edged LC200N salt in either the wharnie or leaf shapes. Can all-black be an option? Or a TiCN blade with the green handle?