manbug wharncliffe chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

manbug wharncliffe chat

Post by sethwm »

For the past month or so I've been exclusively carrying my manbug wharncliffe. Just in the pocket with some 550 paracord. I've found that it's been 100% completely sufficient for my every day usage. And saves my pockets since there's no clip. I love this thing. The wharncliffe blade for a knife this small is perfect, in my opinion.

Tonight I have to go through a month's worth of cardboard in the garage (like 40 medium size boxes). I'm probably going to reach for my k390 dragonfly wharncliffe for that one, but I might just see how far I can get with the vg-10 before I have to resharpen it.

Thinking about treating myself to a serrated version to see how that goes for me.

Anyone else have the plain edge or serrated manbug wharncliffe and think this thing punches way way above its weight?

ZrowsN1s

Re: manbug wharncliffe chat

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been carrying my 4v Jester this week. But I have a brand new Wharnbug on my sharpening bench. Needs a paracord fob and a reprofile. If I can get to it this weekend I'll carry it next week.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 pm
I've been carrying my 4v Jester this week. But I have a brand new Wharnbug on my sharpening bench. Needs a paracord fob and a reprofile. If I can get to it this weekend I'll carry it next week.
I actually have the GITD Jester on my today but the Wharnie Manbug was in my pocket yesterday as it is most days
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:40 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 pm
I actually have the GITD Jester on my today but the Wharnie Manbug was in my pocket yesterday as it is most days
Wonderful little knife. It should be officially re-continued.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

At last years seconds sale, Spyderco gave the first five people in line a prize package including a serrated edge Manbug Wharncliffe and I’ve really enjoyed it. I also like to carry mine with a paracord fob.

- Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i carry a hawkbill ladybug salt instead (naturally), but it's the same concept for me. these little knives are great and wharncliffe and hawkbill both make excellent small edc blades.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bringing this thread back on track: ',:-|

I just dropped my black on black Manbug Wharny in my pocket this afternoon. It’s replacing a S35vn Case Stockman for a few days at a minimum. I enjoy having one small and one regular sized knife on me. Horses for courses.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'm waiting for a Manbug Wharncliffe Salt (H1, H2, LC200N) SpyderEdge if it's ever planned. Currently, I use my Manbug Sheepsfoot Salt (H1) SpyderEdge attached to my keychain.
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
olywa

Post by olywa »

I also have the blacked out MB Wharny. Thinking hard on getting the sawtooth version as well.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm craving a K390...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:27 pm
I'm craving a K390...
I would love a K390 Wharncliffe Manbug. Sign me up.

Would also like a PE K390 hawkbill Manbug and Dragonfly as well.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I really like my ladybug. I keep ogling the blacked out wharnie manbug.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’ve only been able to carry knives in my watch pocket recently, and this one definitely gets a lot of time! I rotate through a few different Manbugs and Jesters - I haven’t come across a situation yet where I needed a bigger blade to cut up boxes, etc.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Do it!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah, mine gets carried most days.
I still think the manbug salt is my favorite but thats just because its a salt.
Attachments
20221105_020207.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The SE wharnie is my most carried pocket knife. It is just fantastic. Can’t wait for the k390 version.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've had a Manbug Wharnie in my cart for a long time. The trouble is, other things keep getting in the way. This, I have to have. It is a great design and practical. It should make the little knife cut like a bigger knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I just want to thank Spyderco for the variety and quality of keychain sized knives.

I would like to carry as large a knife as reasonable. On my off days it's usually a Shaman, Chief, Police4, and now Manix XL. But work days now it's Man/Lady bug(s). A Dragonfly is pushing the limits.

I'm greatful to have an H1 SE hawkbill ladybug, K390 lady and manbugs, ZDP189 Manbug, 4V Jester, GITD Jester, and Wharncliffe Manbug to carry. Not only am I well equipped to cut whatever comes my way, I feel like I'm still getting to engage in my hobby and carry a variety of cool knives.

cjk

Post by cjk »

random blather:

Sal pulled a wharncliffe Manbug out of his pocket at the Atlanta blade show this year. He seemed pretty excited about it as a public friendly small knife.

A wharncliffe Manbug is on my spreadsheet of wants. I've been dilly dallying about ordering one hoping that a K390 PE one might show up at some point. I'm AOK with VG-10 (I do rather like it), though I think a steel with higher edge retention would be a bit more useful in such a small knife.

I've also watched with great interest the grey G-10 manbugs which show up on ebay periodically wondering if a wharncliffe blade swap was a possibility. They seem to go for around $130. If the swap worked, it would end up as a $200 knife (or I'd have $200 invested in 2 tiny knives or I'd have potentially ruined one or the other), so I have thankfully come to my senses each time and not bid.

I really wouldn't mind if there were a "fancy" version of the manbug wharncliffe someday. Either a G-10 full liner one like the current G-10 dragonfly or an all stainless screw construction one would really float my boat.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sethwm wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:16 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Do it!
Done it.