rockjumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: rockjumper

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Does anyone have a comparison picture of the Rock Jumper with the Delica Wharnie ? I’m really curious of the gains or takeaways between the two knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I've had the SE version since they came out. It's been interesting to hear people's concerns when a brand new model arrives.

I prefer to think about how Spyderco has evolved and really how Sal has evolved. My ideas, as a simple knife fan, are constructed from being a consumer- does it seem worth the money or how will I use it?

Sal has these hands of craftsman and a great deal of design successes and failures that must fly through his mind while working on new designs.

The Rockjumper handle fills my (getting older) hand really nicely. The generous swell in the handle, makes it fit a completely relaxed hand. Gripping it, just feels comfortable. It makes you realize that it does not need jimping. Cut with one and you'd realize it also does not need more blade length. The design puts all the cutting force out on the tip and the thin stock just slices like a dream.

If you had followed along when Sal introduced it, you'd know how his goal was to get sharpened blade all the way to the handle. That's what is meant in the Byte by "packing as much cutting edge as possible". It was a design battle of the pivot placement and still having a "kick" to hit while you close it. It's subtle, but amazing. Probably only noticeable to the true knife nerds who are on this forum topic.

Would I welcome new designs and spin-offs of this? For sure! I welcome everyone's ideas and it seems like designs do get pulled from the ideas we all share.

In conclusion, Rockjumper is a winner. Get yourself one! The value is apparent not only in the seasoned Sal-design sense, but in the materials and build quality.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yeah, i am a little confused about the desire to get more blade length in the handle. it doesn't look like there is much wasted space in the handle. if the blade was any longer, people would complain that the tip is too close to the opening and they might catch their clothes or hand with the tip when the knife is closed. the only way to get more blade is to move the pivot, but then you probably lose the tip down carry option, have a smaller pivot/tang area (which means sacrificing lateral strength and durability of the knife), and means you end up with a shorter grip area.

the knife looks basically perfect for a frn backlock folder. if there was a salt version, i'd already have one. i'm basically waiting for a salt version and to see how the leafjumper looks before deciding which to go with. as it stands, the standard rockjumper has a little too much in common with my sheepsfoot caribbean to get me to pull the trigger. the xl version of the rockjumper and/or leafjumper in lc200n could potentially replace my beloved pacific salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

soulspy wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:02 am

If you had followed along when Sal introduced it, you'd know how his goal was to get sharpened blade all the way to the handle. That's what is meant in the Byte by "packing as much cutting edge as possible".

I actually followed Sals introduction of the Rockjumper very closely (and I am sure David/Evil D too), and I am totally aware of that one (or probably even the most important goal was to get sharpened blade all the way to the handle in a backlock, but still having that "klck" (also) as safety feature for the one (of many) closing methods many people obviously prefer).
Sal achieved this with his great "hanlde forward" design

The "Byte" Sept 2020 though literally says (quote): "One of the primary design goals of the RockJumper was to pack as much cutting edge as possible into its pocket-friendly size, while still utilizing a mid-back lock mechanism" (see here: https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... ember-2020 , scroll down a bit.).
Hard to misunderstand imho. Perhaps not AS important as "only" "edge all the way to the handle", but, at least as described in the "Byte", another design goal: (Literally) as much cutting edge as possible - something not to few do actually like, and one of the reasons why those people (including me) like the Stretch 1 or Caly 3.5
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 am
yeah, i am a little confused about the desire to get more blade length in the handle. it doesn't look like there is much wasted space in the handle. if the blade was any longer, people would complain that the tip is too close to the opening and they might catch their clothes or hand with the tip when the knife is closed. the only way to get more blade is to move the pivot, but then you probably lose the tip down carry option, have a smaller pivot/tang area (which means sacrificing lateral strength and durability of the knife), and means you end up with a shorter grip area.

Perhaps I don´t fully understand what you mean, but it would actually be very easy to give the Rock- or Leafjumper a longer blade, without causing any problems:

- There IS quite some space left in the handle, I seem to recall like 6 or 7mm
- If the blade would get longer, lets say by 5 mm, this would in no way "catch clothes" or the like.
Just like it does not in the Stretch 1. Here the blade extends almost all the way to the end of the handle, but is perfectly covered by the the handle, especially since the Stretch 1 has the same "hook" at the handle end that the Rockjumper has.

Pic 1: Comparison Endela (below) / Stretch 1 (above). I don´t have a RockJumper at hand, but there is about or at least as much "dead space" left in the handle as with the Endela
Pic 2: Shows that Rockjumper and Stretch 1 have a very similar handle end - and as said, the Stretch 1 can absolutely have a blade that fills all of the handle, without any problems.
And so the Stretch 1 has the exact same closed size as the RockJumper (4.43 "), but offers 11 mm more blade and 9 mm more edge, even though the Stretch 1 has a choil.

Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bjz

Post by bjz »

ladybug93 wrote:
as it stands, the standard rockjumper has a little too much in common with my sheepsfoot caribbean to get me to pull the trigger.
We all have our opinions…when I first saw the rock jumper I immediately thought that it would be the perfect “value” version of the Caribbean! While I’m sure the Caribbean is great, it’s a bit too big, and higher $$, than I prefer for my knives. If the rock jumper had a sheepsfoot blade/edge profile akin to the Caribbean, and in a salt version, I would probably by 4 instantly (three in SE and one PE)!

As it stands now, I’m testing the wharncliffe waters with a DF2 wharny and waiting to see what the leaf version looks like before making a move on a rock jumper.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

bjz wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:26 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
as it stands, the standard rockjumper has a little too much in common with my sheepsfoot caribbean to get me to pull the trigger.
We all have our opinions…when I first saw the rock jumper I immediately thought that it would be the perfect “value” version of the Caribbean! While I’m sure the Caribbean is great, it’s a bit too big, and higher $$, than I prefer for my knives. If the rock jumper had a sheepsfoot blade/edge profile akin to the Caribbean, and in a salt version, I would probably by 4 instantly (three in SE and one PE)!

As it stands now, I’m testing the wharncliffe waters with a DF2 wharny and waiting to see what the leaf version looks like before making a move on a rock jumper.
i agree with you. what i'm saying is i don't need a rockjumper since i have the caribbean. if i wanted a smaller and lighter version, or even a backlock instead of a comp lock, i'd be all over the rockjumper. i look forward to seeing the future of this model and design concept making its way to other designs.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

It still gives a full size grip in my XL meat hooks. I had one in SE that I since passed along once I got a SE sheepfoot Caribbean, but haven’t used the PE yet. Loved the handle; it was just too similar. It’s nimble and capable without feeling cramped — think I’ll tune that edge up tonight and toss it in my pocket tomorrow.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:11 pm
It still gives a full size grip in my XL meat hooks. I had one in SE that I since passed along once I got a SE sheepfoot Caribbean, but haven’t used the PE yet. Loved the handle; it was just too similar. It’s nimble and capable without feeling cramped — think I’ll tune that edge up tonight and toss it in my pocket tomorrow.

thanks for sharing pics!
current collection:
spyderco steels:
sal

Post by sal »

We can always add a few mm of blade to fill the handle in the future. We can do it with both the Rock and Leaf Jumpers assuming the designs survive the test of time.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:01 pm
We can always add a few mm of blade to fill the handle in the future. We can do it with both the Rock and Leaf Jumpers assuming the designs survive the test of time.

sal
if anything, i'd shave just a hair off of it so it's 3" for people that have to deal with those laws. the xl can be 3.5" or 4". i just know a lot of people get irritated about a 3.1" blade and they have a more justifiable reason to be confused by the extra blade length that makes the knife illegal where they live than the people that complain that you could fit three more millimeters of blade into a given handle.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
benben

Post by benben »

74A39326-F038-4209-965A-DC5246D96BD9.jpeg
0F12DF14-D9F9-49F9-80A4-DEAD3E60F793.jpeg
6DA78EB2-7A10-4297-B47C-E515C09B5B51.jpeg
FEFAEBBF-D00B-4F6A-8CB4-AB3757A81118.jpeg
Just grabbed a few popular models/sizes, sorry I don’t have a wharny Delica. Rockjumper…best handle of the bunch, and there’s some great handles in these pics!
sal

Post by sal »

The purpose of the design was to test a theory to see If I could maintain all of the muscle memory of one handing closing a lock-back by dropping the kick on your finger, yet still bring the edge closer to the handle. The edge is not longer, the handle is.

If the theory gains traction, then I'll create some dedicated models and made the blades as long as will fit into the handle. This model was not based on any laws, just what will work.

It might be the first of many, for you development of design history folks, or it may fizzle and die like many other have done.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:50 pm
sal wrote:

sal
if anything, i'd shave just a hair off of it so it's 3" for people that have to deal with those laws. the xl can be 3.5" or 4". i just know a lot of people get irritated about a 3.1" blade and they have a more justifiable reason to be confused by the extra blade length that makes the knife illegal where they live than the people that complain that you could fit three more millimeters of blade into a given handle.
With all due respect: I´ve heard no one complaining here ?! :thinking

This is a discussion about the Rockjumper, I think it is only natural and also very usual here, that people go into detail (but actually still praise this great model).
And actually just because they are really interested in and thought about it mention small details that for them would make it even a tad better.
If they did not, why discussing at all? If you wanted that, start a dedicated thread and call it "Just for those who only want to praise the Rockjumoer but not discuss it in detail"

Wishing for 5 or 6 mm (this is what I said, not the "3 mm" you mentioned) more cutting edge (especially when the handle is actually ready for this anyway ) - and just mention this in an actual discussion - is no different to suggesting a model in another steel, or when people want a pointier or less pointy tip, a wharnie shape, an FRN or G10 variant, a deep carry clip, a Salt version or whatever.

Additionally, in case of the Rockjumper it was announced in the "Byte" to offer "as much cutting edge as possible in the compact size", but in the end did not, so I don´t think mentioning this fact is "complaining"

I always find it a bit funny (generally, not referring to you particularily), when people seem to think that just what they´d personally like to see are valid features to discuss and of relevance - but not what might be important for others.
What for the one might be the suggestion of another steel, a pointier tip or a Salt version of a model, for the next one is more cutting edge. No "better or worse" here, no "one is discussing but the other is complaining"

Edited for spelling
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:49 pm
The purpose of the design was to test a theory to see If I could maintain all of the muscle memory of one handing closing a lock-back by dropping the kick on your finger, yet still bring the edge closer to the handle. The edge is not longer, the handle is.

If the theory gains traction, then I'll create some dedicated models and made the blades as long as will fit into the handle. This model was not based on any laws, just what will work.

It might be the first of many, for you development of design history folks, or it may fizzle and die like many other have done.

sal
Sal, I so hope and actually think that the design will "survive"!!

A longer bladed version (in relation to the handle length) of the design of course would be the cherry on top of the cake, for those who want such a model in the lineup (and I am one of those).

Perhaps if this longer bladed model could happen on the other hand what Ladybug 93 said would be a good idea indeed: Actually shorten the blade of the existing Rockjumper just a hair , so it´d be legal in the "3 " limit areas"?
sal

Post by sal »

Please don't think that I do not appreciate all comments. That is how designs are improved. I like to study potential markets before investing in the tooling costs on a new concept. I love the feedback; the good bad and ugly.

sal
benben

Post by benben »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 am
Please don't think that I do not appreciate all comments. That is how designs are improved. I like to study potential markets before investing in the tooling costs on a new concept. I love the feedback; the good bad and ugly.

sal
Good morning Sal, take this as both a compliment and a warning, if the K390 Endela had been around 8 to 10 years ago, I’d probably own a quarter of the Spyderco’s that I own now!

For me the same logic is applied for a true leaf bladed Jumper, so be careful! ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:

sal

Awesome ! I love my serrated Rockjumper(I own two) ! It's my backpacking dedicated folder. I really hope it will sell very well and we'll see some sprints in the near future !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The RJ is actually one of the few knives where Spyderco's tendency to put shorter blades in a big handle just seems right to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dj moonbat wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 am
The RJ is actually one of the few knives where Spyderco's tendency to put shorter blades in a big handle just seems right to me.
Funny I'd say this, since I wished for a longer blade: But somehow I get what you mean- only concerning the wharnie bladed Rockjumper though, not the upcoming (?) Leafjumper (with, well, most likely a leaf shaped blade;) )

With the wharnie Rockjumper I can't help but associating it not with "general EDC knife", but more with "great specialized, but by that also a tad less versatile utility knife".

A Leafjumper though with 5 or 6 mm more edge could really challenge my beloved Stretch 1 in its role for me...