Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by captnvegtble »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 am
It's a rare thing to see a company being so afraid of one of their magnum opus, almost to an hilarious degree.
I think that's probably your incorrect interpretation having the benefit of hindsight. The Slysz Bowie was discontinued, I believe, because of poor sales, which likely had to do with the cost of the knife. It was around for quite a while and didn't start receiving "cult" status until it was no longer available and people (like Nick Shabazz) started talking about what a great knife it was. Others tried the knife and found it didn't work/fit well for them and so couldn't justify the cost.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:36 pm
Well...that's both good news for US afis and another blow and terrible news to us international fans...Knifejoy is one of those sites that are so discriminatory against international customers. They won't even allow foreign credit cards to be used in their site. I understand not shipping internationally, but not even allowing foreign customers to use our credit cards is just another level of discrimination.

This is just sad, because just recently, it was an international fan (chapp) who opened a discussion on the Bowie demand... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88570&hilit=slyz+bowie+problem
I'm not even surprised to be honest. When I saw Sal's reaction to some of my critical posts and other Spyderco's "enthusiasts" defending the whole PM2 tanto situation, I knew where I ended up and that I shouldn't get my hope up. Guess I was 100% right.

People often jump on me when I say the knife industry is the best at not giving people what they want. You have a perfect example here. Unfortunately, you'll always have people rushing in defending the whole situation for a bunch of weird reasons.

Spyderco is also deep into "it sells, so we're right" mindset, which doesn't help.That's why we're stuck on a Delica 4 for decades. As a biker myself, all of this it reminds me of the Harley Davidson situation. I'm not a huge fan of him, but think it was Shabazz who made a recent video about that exact point (selling =/= being right). I know because some people outside told me my recent posts on the Spyderco forum inspired him to make the video. Don't know if it's true and I don't even know if he was thinking about Spyderco when making it, but I couldn't agree more with him this time.
I think that's probably your incorrect interpretation having the benefit of hindsight. The Slysz Bowie was discontinued, I believe, because of poor sales, which likely had to do with the cost of the knife. It was around for quite a while and didn't start receiving "cult" status until it was no longer available and people (like Nick Shabazz) started talking about what a great knife it was. Others tried the knife and found it didn't work/fit well for them and so couldn't justify the cost.
I already covered that point a bunch of time... In short, I don't live in the US, most people I know don't watch Shabazz or US Instagram poster-boys and yet, the Slysz Bowie is still a grail in most European circle and event I participate in. Its popularity has more to do with a very good word of mouth than a 130K subscribers, very US-centric lad on Youtube.

I'm tired of the situation myself, so I won't participate further in the discussion. I'll just go for a ride and try to enjoy the end of Sunday in peace. I'm back to hibernation mode when it comes to that forum. Wake me up when the Slysz is coming back proper or we can buy a PM2 tanto without playing the scalper/exclusive game.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I was excited until I realized I have enough titanium knives. :D
And that I only have a single one in carbon fiber. I am more eager to get a Native 5 fluted CF, than the Slysz Bowie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sounds like the knife was a pain in the *** to make, and it didn't sell well. Hardly a "magnum opus".

I guess it's on one of the heavy hitters in Europe to order their own run. For the heavy population and huge demand it should be a no brainer.

Or just join the collectors club to battle FOMO.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Good luck grabbing one, this will break the internet. lol
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Chapp wrote: So, the Slysz Bowie is finally back, but it's a sprint run ? That international buyers can't even order (what year is it ? 2004 ?) ? And it's blue ?

You're telling me that a smallish company managed to convince Spyderco to make an exclusive Slysz Bowie for them and all they could think about was making it blue ?

Keep winning I guess. I imagine Knifenjoy and scalpers will be really happy to bank on one of the most popular folder from recent memory.

I really hope it's just about testing the waters for the Slysz proper comeback... and not another baffling choice from a knife company because I'm out of words. Even then, it's a rare thing to see a company being so afraid of one of their magnum opus, almost to an hilarious degree.

Its an exclusive not a sprint.

Im also not a fan of the blue. It doesnt look good.

I do agree it deserves a proper comeback.

A product not being available to you is just life, there are plenty of cars and motorcycles that arent available in one country or another for whatever reasons? Sometimes its emisions, sometimes its just about it being a special edition.

At least spydercos normal product range isnt limited. This one not being available is due to knifejoys policy anyways.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:13 am
This is one of those knives that I really want to like. But, it was like the handle was made for a lady. My hand just doesn't fit into the grip area, without being scrunched.

Maybe, if I can find a deal on the secondary, I'll modify one and see how it fares.
Yup, this knife has essentially the same grip area of a PM2 without the choil. Good luck on finding one at a price you’ll actually want to take a grinder to. :eek:
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Unfortunate that it will be harder to get for international people, but to say it's discrimination that KnifeJoy won't ship overseas is silly. Is it also discrimination when a brick-and-mortar knife store doesn't have an online shop? Or doesn't carry a certain brand? Honestly, the entitlement is baffling.

The claim that this knife is Spyderco's magnum opus is also odd. It might be a good design but it's one of hundreds if not thousands of (in my opinion) boring titanium frame lock knives on the market. It's not even like the steel is interesting. M390 is ubiquitous and milquetoast at this point. It performs well but clearly you are not spending $400 on a knife for just the performance. As Larrin has pointed out, it has a relatively coarse carbide structure and is easily outperformed by S90V in all areas. If I were to identify a magnum opus from Spyderco it would be a Glesser design. The Native Chief, for example, has a more practical and reliable lock, more functional scale material, and comes in more interesting and performance-oriented steels. It has better cutting geometry, is lighter, and slimmer in the pocket than the Bowie. It will also be less than half the price of the Bowie, probably much less.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I the odd man out?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TenGrainBread wrote: Unfortunate that it will be harder to get for international people, but to say it's discrimination that KnifeJoy won't ship overseas is silly. Is it also discrimination when a brick-and-mortar knife store doesn't have an online shop? Or doesn't carry a certain brand? Honestly, the entitlement is baffling.

The claim that this knife is Spyderco's magnum opus is also odd. It might be a good design but it's one of hundreds if not thousands of (in my opinion) boring titanium frame lock knives on the market. It's not even like the steel is interesting. M390 is ubiquitous and milquetoast at this point. It performs well but clearly you are not spending $400 on a knife for just the performance. As Larrin has pointed out, it has a relatively coarse carbide structure and is easily outperformed by S90V in all areas. If I were to identify a magnum opus from Spyderco it would be a Glesser design. The Native Chief, for example, has a more practical and reliable lock, more functional scale material, and comes in more interesting and performance-oriented steels. It has better cutting geometry, is lighter, and slimmer in the pocket than the Bowie. It will also be less than half the price of the Bowie, probably much less.

Its the knife to have man.
I really want one of these and will try for one but you are probably right.

Theres at least 10 European made titanium framelocks with a pretty good steel in the 200 to 350 dollar range.
Anything over that and you can wait for a crk.
Anything more than crk and youre in a whole different knife world.

I think part of the bowie issue is the people who remember having a chance to get one and didnt. This is me. I wanted one years ago but I had much less money at the time and couldnt get one even though I always wanted to try it. Now I have a chance.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:16 am
Any CRK fans in the off topic section who dont go for this, might have a problem

"just saying"

or

"that said"
I won’t be going for one, so I hope you get a chance at one! A Sebenza is far superior in every single way, sorry. And that wire clip...maybe if it had a spoon clip I’d “think” about it.
Josh
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Very glad to see this for everybody who hasn't had the pleasure of owning one of these! Hopefully this means there are more Bowie Exclusives in the works? Tool steel please?!
SpyderGrill wrote:
Any CRK fans in the off topic section who dont go for this, might have a problem

"just saying"

or

"that said"
I may not. My OG Slysz Bowie is still one of my favorite knives, but this will likely be close to $400 and M390 doesn't get me too excited. I think I paid $206 for mine pre-MAP back in 2015 before the Shabazz effect and the "oh BTW, we forgot to mention it in the disco list before it went out of stock". Now if it was M4 or 10v... :D and how about with Stonewashed DLC?!?! :eek:, then I would be in for sure.

Still hopeful for a Spyderco Slysz Rat with a hole in it, which has potential to dethrone the Bowie.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Nooo freaking way!

I really got into Spyderco in 2017 and at that time the Slysz Bowie was ultimate hype. They were selling for 700 to 800 bucks easily... If this is true... this will literally be the drop of the 21st century. Websites will crash, monitors smashed and cities burned...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

naaah, holding out for a regular production in magnacut

Now, even though that would be cool, I’m kind of happy this one is unobtainium. It’s a knife I would like to try, but not too exited about this mix of materials and color. If I lived in the US I might have given it a try anyways, just to check it out. Should be easily flippable.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am
Unfortunate that it will be harder to get for international people, but to say it's discrimination that KnifeJoy won't ship overseas is silly. Is it also discrimination when a brick-and-mortar knife store doesn't have an online shop? Or doesn't carry a certain brand? Honestly, the entitlement is baffling.

No. You're not. Same here.

Judging from the pictures it is a model that has never caught my eye. But I have read so many times in this forum that there are many people who would trade their souls for it, that I thought it would be one of those models that display all their magic only when in hand.

I knew that someone in my town was selling a part of his collection and that included some long time discontinued Spydies (Barong, Impala, Farid Mehr K2, etc). And he had also a Slysz Bowie for which he was asking 270 euros (about $330). So I decided to give it a try. I took it in my hands and ... there was no magic at all. It still seemed to me, as you well said, "another boring titanium frame lock". I would also prefer, instead, to spend $ 330 on a Native Chief with the appropriate handle and steel any day of the week.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TenGrainBread wrote:
I won't argue about the Native Chief, I also like it a lot from a design perspective. However, one could argue it's another boring backlock from Spyderco. It wouldn't be fair, but so is calling the Slysz Bowie another titanium framelock. Just remind me how many titanium framelock with a Spyderhole are on the market as we speak ?

I wrote a lot about the Slysz Bowie in the past and I don't feel like rehearsing the discussion, especially after a long ride, but trying to make it pass as another titanium framelock is reductive... if not ignorant on what makes it special. It's like trying to explain the beauty of the Nike of Samothrace or the Starry Night to people that are completely oblivious to art. To some people, they're just a statue and a muddy painting. You can be oblivious to something, but still understand what makes it special.

Titanium framelock + Taichung QC + Spyderco refinement + Slysz Golden Touch... and you have a winning formula. That alone makes the knife one of a kind.

In the end, you look at knife as practical tools, hence the praise for the Native Chief more practical design. I look at them as piece of art. If I want a practical tool, I take a 12€ Mora or a 30€ Rat-2 and I can disregard the rest of the hobby completely.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I still don't get all the hype over this knife. Almost makes me want to buy one just to see if I like it any more now than when I tried one a few years ago. I'll see what they selling for then decide
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 am
SpyderGrill wrote:

"just saying"

or

"that said"
I won’t be going for one, so I hope you get a chance at one! A Sebenza is far superior in every single way, sorry. And that wire clip...maybe if it had a spoon clip I’d “think” about it.
Yep, count me in as one of those CRK guys in the others thread. I think when I want a larger titanium knife in my pocket, it's going to be tough to kick out Inkosi Insingo, especially now that I've got it ground to my liking. I'm not even going to try for this knife. Though I do say good luck to everyone that really does want one!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:17 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 am
SpyderGrill wrote:

"just saying"

or

"that said"
Yep, count me in as one of those CRK guys in the others thread. I think when I want a larger titanium knife in my pocket, it's going to be tough to kick out Inkosi Insingo, especially now that I've got it ground to my liking. I'm not even going to try for this knife. Though I do say good luck to everyone that really does want one!
Yeah man, don’t get me wrong it’s a great knife and all, but not even on the same level as some other knives. I had one of the OGs and actually sold it to fund a second CRK. LOL.
Josh
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TenGrainBread wrote:

Except that this one isn't a plain brick and mortar store, but an established knife dealer with a good online presence in Facebook and Instagram (35k-plus fans), clearly supported by knife collecting "influencers" who have taken to calling this one the "goat" and again, rabidly creating hype in legions of newbieish knife collectors who are in this not because they truly appreciate Spydercos for their practical use but rather are looking for the next collectible hobby in order to impress people online with what they have.

If a store doesn't have an online presence or carry a brand, it's a business choice.

The issue is not wether this company will ship overseas or not. There are many dealers like BBS and SMKW who don't ship overseas, and we're fine with that. We're able to use freight forwarding services to bypass that restriction and it has worked well for many years for most of us. The issue is this company doesn't allow international credit cards to be used with them, which is oddly puzzling considering other smaller dealers like Cutleryshoppe have no problem in this area. Isn't the concept of VISA and Mastercard precisely made so that anywhere in the world, you can purchase anything that is allowable to be purchased by these financial companies?

I'd like to agree with you regarding "entitlement" and take back my words, but when this company has allowed me to buy a slow-selling Spyderco dealer exclusive (blue Para 3 LW) but quickly do a 180 degree turn and flat out refuse to sell me their next exclusive (Para 3 green) - how is that not discrimination? Am I still being the entitled one in this scenario?

The situation is quite morbidly hilarious considering the Bowie is made here in Asia but internationals aren't given any means of directly purchasing it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Screenshot_20210425-124258.jpg
Boys... It's freaking happening. This is a day I thought I'd never see. I'm baffled but excited this is awesome!