Which Spydercos Are In Your EDC Rotation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Re: Which Spydercos Are In Your EDC Rotation?

Post by PSquared »

I live in an urban environment and have no real use on a daily basis for a pocket knife unless I can invent one. I try to keep it sheeple friendly but seem to be carrying smaller knives by choice anyway these days. Most carried Spyderco's :
Centofante Memory ("scotchbrited" to remove the blue ano)
Delica 4 (I have a few, most carried are the ones with Wilkins and Cuscadi scales)
Jerry Brouwer (surprisingly stock but with an aftermarket clip)
Chaparral (modified choil and jumping smoothed)
Caly 3

Less frequently carried but really enjoyable :
Kopa
PITS
Lum Chinese
Stainless Dragonfly

Carrying a D'Allara 3 today for the first time this year, bigger than my normal carry.

For some reason my UKPK with carbon scales and my Native 5 are seeing less and less carry.
brj

Post by brj »

9 times out of 10 I'll have on me the Watu and Police4LW, between them they can easily handle everything I might require during the day. Sometimes it's their fancy pants counterparts (Ikuchi and Millie) but that's mostly due to the fact the scales are relatively new on both and I get a kick from carrying them, not because they'd offer a better combo.

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

FE6C02E8-82C1-4E32-AC79-DBEEDB1C4D3D.jpeg
Caribbean-newest Spyderco but the corrosion resistance and light weight makes this a favorite already.

PM2-s110v-again corrosion resistance and how long this thing holds an edge are why its always in the edc rotation.

Manix 2 LW Maxamet- my go to when I am not at work. Tough as nails, never needs a sharpening and lightweight, also a fan of the wire clip. Wish it was better with corrosion resistance but just gives me an excuse to buy more Salt’s :D

PM3 LW- the weight, wire clip, rounded edges and fidget factor make this a staple in the rotation.

Salt Dragonfly SE- my favorite Spyderco and its not even close. It stays in the pocket at work and on the weekends and stays under my pillow at night, lol. I kid but its just a cool little work horse that is very corrosion resistant!
vivi

Post by vivi »

brj wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:20 am
9 times out of 10 I'll have on me the Watu and Police4LW, between them they can easily handle everything I might require during the day. Sometimes it's their fancy pants counterparts (Ikuchi and Millie) but that's mostly due to the fact the scales are relatively new on both and I get a kick from carrying them, not because they'd offer a better combo.

Wow, that really puts into perspective how slim the Ikuchi is when folded!
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I feel like these have gotten the most use.

There are some in the pic like the snapit salt and atlantic salt that I dont edc at all. Those 2 lived on my dry bag for years so they have gotten a lot of use.
Attachments
20201003_125626.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I seldom have pockets in the summer, my EDC must be speedo compatible (IWB), so I carry only smaller knives - Native 5, the Tasman Salt 2 SE, the Para 3 Maxamet, and the Chaparral FRN. These knives are well used and often dirty.

Shoulder seasons and winter gloves are for the blurple Manix, the Caribbean, the GB2, the Swayback the PM2 in Maxamet and S30V, and hopefully soon, the Z-wear Shaman and Native Chief in Rex45.

Lastly, the Chaparral Raffir Noble, a Ti Native and the Sage 5 for in the city and social settings.

Last edited by kobold on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got a nice selection for my main EDC rotation. However the two that get the most pocket time and the most use are my M390 PE Military model and my oldie but goodie ATS-55, Stainless handled RESCUE SE model. I use that duo 90% of the time.

Now for the serrated rotation I often opt to carry one of my many SE Spyderco Hawkbills but most of the time it's either the Spyderhawk SE or one of my SE Harpy models.

Some of my special occasion PE blades are my C-60 Ayoob, JD Smith, C-46 Lum Tanto all get the most time.

On special jobs I use my older ATS-55 full sized C-44 Dyad. Those all get the most pocket time.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 pm
Post your EDC rotation, and maybe share a bit about why you like those models.
Taking a cue from another thread, this is my current "Work EDC" rotation:
20201006_113652.jpg
That's the Yojimbo 2, Delica 4 Wharncliffe PE, Endura 4 Wharncliffe PE, Li'l Temperance 3, Para 3 Lightweight DLC PE, Para Military 2 DLC, and Native 5 Lightweight CE. These knives have made it into my work rotation primarily because of personal ergonomic fit. When you use a knife as much as I do at my job, ergonomics & handling become very important although cutting performance matters, too, of course.

I used to carry only serrated blades as my primary work knives because they work very well on the materials I cut, but the one major drawback I found is that they tend to collect gunk in the scallops in the blade, which eventually accumulate in the recesses of the handle & interfere with the lock-up. The work is just so hectic & fast-paced that I don't have time to clean the blades after every use & I don't want to spend my coffee or lunch breaks cleaning out my knife.

The Endura 4 Wharncliffe has slowly been falling out of the rotation, though—it's just a bit too long for the stuff I use a knife at work: I frequently find myself using a knife in tight, cramped quarters, where anything longer than a PM2 can be awkward to use. I'll likely replace it in the rotation with a RockJumper once I get one.

Outside of work, my most carried knives are the following:
20201006_113627.jpg
That's the Yojimbo 2 DLC, Delica 4 CE TiCN, Endura 4 CE TiCN, Li'l Temperance 3 (the one knife I use & carry just as much at work as I do outside of work), and the Introvert. These are the designs that I appreciate significantly for more than just their utility as tools. As a side note, I prefer carrying blacked out knives for my personal carry, not because it's "tacticool" or anything, but I find they're a lot more discreet & don't attract unwanted attention.

And here are my "back-up EDC" knives.
20201006_113608.jpg
I always carry a small fully serrated folder in addition to my primary knife. Outside of work, that knife is the Manbug SE which lives on my keychain. At work, I prefer using serrated blades for cutting synthetic heavy-duty rope & straps (plain edge blades will sometimes just skate across them unless you get the cutting angle just right). I also use SE blades to more efficiently cut clothing, which I sometimes have to do when attending to workplace injuries & emergencies. My work back-up knife rotation consists of the Salt 2, Tasman Salt 2, Li'l Native Compression Lock DLC SE, and Dragonfly 2 Salt SE.
vivi

Post by vivi »

This is my current rotation.

Pacific Salt 2 FFG for work.

Aqua Salt PE for a general purpose outdoors knife.

Manix XL M4 DLC for everything else.

These three cover my bases well. Still have my H1 Pacifics, Police folders and C95 sprint, but focusing on these three has let me appreciate their steels better.

The Pacific 2 LC200N is sharpened on the fine sharp maker rods then stropped on 1 micron diamond paste. It has a very polished edge that glides through anything on a push cut. Keeping the edge polished until I reprofile and go coarse. Curious to see how edge retention changes going from polished to low grit. It improved on my Siren.

The Aqua Salt and Manix are sharpened at 300 grit and stropped with 30 micron diamond paste. Very coarse. Both have been exceeding my edge holding expectations with their respective steels. I have never been able to go so long between sharpenings on PE H1 as with this 300 grit edge, and M4 sharpens up to a high sharpness very easily at low grits just like it does with more polished edges.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Every day: Dragonfly 2 VG10 Black FRN.

Ocean Fishing and sailing: Dragonfly 2 Salt SE.

Suit/Jacket: Victorinox Cadet.

That’s it. I’ve carried a DF2 for close to 10 years now. First in ZDP-189 and now in VG10. For a knife that gets carried and used constantly I found it easier and quicker to get the VG10 shaving sharp, whereas I always struggled to get the same edge with ZDP-189.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing everyone
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

Junction, Gayle Bradley, Mantra 1, Chaparral 1, and a dragonfly of some sort are my constant carries these days

Junction:
Thin and light, I found it to be perfect for hiking, camping, hunting, or any other outdoors event. The FFG and thin blade stock (2.6mm) were the main selling points for me.

Gayle Bradley 1 & 2:
Both feel like tanks, yet have thin blades (3mm), and sliced hollow grinds. M4 is also my favourite steel and very fitting for this knife. Usually carry these when I go camping or anywhere where I know I'll need to use a knife (not often these days)

Mantra 1:
Ground off the flipper tab and it became the perfect knife for me. Favourite steel, favourite clip, favourite ergos (delica handle), thin ish blade stock (3mm). Great EDC knife for me. If I could change one thing, it would have been to make the blade stock 2mm instead of 3mm.

Chaparral 1:
Battles for pocket time with the Mantra 1. Normally carry it when at gatherings or somewhere where theres lots of non-knife people. Chaparral doesnt look threatening. Thin blade stock (2mm), internal stop pin and ergos are the main selling points for me.

Dragonfly 2:
Lots of flavors, normally carry these with the Mantra 1. Incredible ergonomics and barely noticeable in pocket. Great carry for summer months.
20201111_141342_copy_2016x1134.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Here is a photo of the knives I EDC.
C1BEE3AD-B937-4A30-9411-A05CEF0523D3.jpeg
When I EDC to work it’s usually two knives and most of the time It’s the Caribbean and Native Salt. I’ve been switching it up a lot lately because I’m starting to enjoy more slicey blades but, they still dominate my pockets.

The Para 3 lightweight, PM2 and Caribbean are interchangeable and the Native Salt, Delica and Para 3 lightweight are Interchangeable.

I usually only bring the ladybug if I know I’m going to be working in the front of the store all day stocking shelves; it’s convenient, small and discrete.

If the Manix comes along it’s rare and it usually just fills the roll of SD blade when I use a small primary work knife... or it’s the third knife in my pockets :D

I’ll tell you the main reason I prefer Salt knives and most often carry them at work. It’s because I work in an extremely dusty dirty environment, plus I’m in Az and you’ll literally soak through your clothes sweating in the summer time (115°+ in July and August). So being able to frequently rinse a knife off in the sink and not have to worry about corrosion is a huge bonus.

After work and on the weekends I often carry my Caribbean or my PM2 and sometimes with a less carried knife to mix it up.

Hanging out at home: lightweight is the most important thing to me so it’s usually the Para 3 or now the new Pacific Salt LC200N which may be going to work when the newness wears off.

I’ve really been pushing myself to use all my Spydercos lately but I haven’t been very successful. 🤷🏻‍♂️
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lately, it's been the serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot or the CPM REX 45 Military.

I've been carrying non-Spydies a lot of the time, though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Holland wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:32 pm
Junction, Gayle Bradley, Mantra 1, Chaparral 1, and a dragonfly of some sort are my constant carries these days

Junction:
Thin and light, I found it to be perfect for hiking, camping, hunting, or any other outdoors event. The FFG and thin blade stock (2.6mm) were the main selling points for me.

Gayle Bradley 1 & 2:
Both feel like tanks, yet have thin blades (3mm), and sliced hollow grinds. M4 is also my favourite steel and very fitting for this knife. Usually carry these when I go camping or anywhere where I know I'll need to use a knife (not often these days)

Mantra 1:
Ground off the flipper tab and it became the perfect knife for me. Favourite steel, favourite clip, favourite ergos (delica handle), thin ish blade stock (3mm). Great EDC knife for me. If I could change one thing, it would have been to make the blade stock 2mm instead of 3mm.

Chaparral 1:
Battles for pocket time with the Mantra 1. Normally carry it when at gatherings or somewhere where theres lots of non-knife people. Chaparral doesnt look threatening. Thin blade stock (2mm), internal stop pin and ergos are the main selling points for me.

Dragonfly 2:
Lots of flavors, normally carry these with the Mantra 1. Incredible ergonomics and barely noticeable in pocket. Great carry for summer months.

All of your junction posts have made me try to hunt one down. Sent a few offers out on ebay this week.
Holland

Post by Holland »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 pm
Holland wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Junction:

Gayle Bradley 1 & 2:

Mantra 1:

Chaparral 1:

Dragonfly 2:

All of your junction posts have made me try to hunt one down. Sent a few offers out on ebay this week.
Good to hear! I found the handle a but awkward when I first got the knife. The handle is pretty thin, so it takes some getting used to. (I don't notice it at all anymore)
-Spencer

Rotation:
acer

Post by acer »

Having a grey moment Therefore

Military Titanium smooth handle grey

Advocate improved ball bearing grey silver

Para3 Grey g10

Baby guess horn. Grey G10

Enjoying these, enjoying the grey theme , only issue may lead to a whole new offshoot in my collection of grey handled spyderco s and a house remortgage 😁 still living the dream . In
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I carry a few different brands in my rotation. However the Spyderco’s that seem to get the most pocket time as of late are: Manix2 Backlock, Siren, and the Stepped Ti Chaparral...at least on a consistent basis.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Siren
Pacific Salt LC200N SE
Rockjumper PE
Para 3 Cruwear
Manix LW Rex 45

Others get carry time too but this is the main lineup for right now.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Pacific Salt 2 and Endela. The PS2 just disappears in my front / r cargo pocket. The Endela is my goldilocks Spyderco and is in the position of honor ( right rear ).