Taking apart knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Taking apart knives

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
If one lives outside the USA and chooses to buy a Spyderco outside your country's Spyderco distribution network you have to accept possibly a higher cost of ownership. Your choice.
Whilst you can return a substandard new or nearly knife to the official dealer after purchase, the warranty documentation still specifically requires the knife to be returned to the USA for warranty work.

Yes, overseas customers do have to accept higher purchase prices, higher cost of ownership, and less service. Thanks for the reminder!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I suspect the reason is what Sal originally stated. Spyderco does not want to encourage people to disassemble the knives.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

If one lives outside the USA and chooses to buy a Spyderco outside your country's Spyderco distribution network you have to accept possibly a higher cost of ownership. Your choice.
t.[/quote]
Might I suggest that Spyderco help there over seas customers with supplying them with some spare parts in the box along with the knife or setting up a small authorised repair shop in Europe or the United Kingdom, this will relieve some pressure on the guys in the golden factory or set up some way of getting there knives to the factory because currently to insure a knife from loss or theft during transport along with the shipping fees are out of order, like $50 to $150 bucks out of order this is why it’s more cost effective for some to try and fix there knives at home as some of there knive don’t even cost this much and this is before Spyderco has even looked at the knife. Personally I don’t take apart my knives but I can emphasis where people on here are coming from.

Also it could work in the states to, putting authorised Spyderco repair shops to relieve pressure from the guys in golden Colorado. This would save time and money in the long run and there are a few knife companies doing this now although not in Europe but phone companies such as Apple or Samsung do this so it must work.
Last edited by Stuman on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is everyone’s god given right :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve read Sals original post a few times and it seems to me like his complaint is about people who disassemble, tinker or mess up a new knife and then ship it back to the dealer for refund. His post is not about people disassembling their own knives that they keep. A large portion of this thread has been a discussion about just disassembly and whether or not it’s justified. 9 pages long and a lot of the comments are off topic.

It’s simple. If you disassemble a new knife, it’s yours. Don’t return it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I’ve read Sals original post a few times and it seems to me like his complaint is about people who disassemble, tinker or mess up a new knife and then ship it back to the dealer for refund. His post is not about people disassembling their own knives that they keep. A large portion of this thread has been a discussion about just disassembly and whether or not it’s justified. 9 pages long and a lot of the comments are off topic.

I’ve been a victim of this 4 times now where I’ve gotten partly or fully disassembled knives this is why I would like to see an authorised repair shop set up in Europe. I was told by the company I got them from it was probobly done on the assembly line in the factory as the torx screw heads were stripped but I know this wouldn’t get past Spydercos QC so they have been told to replace them by our trade & standards authority to which they have to comply with with in 30 days of notice or refund my money or replace the knives.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stuman wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I’ve read Sals original post a few times and it seems to me like his complaint is about people who disassemble, tinker or mess up a new knife and then ship it back to the dealer for refund. His post is not about people disassembling their own knives that they keep. A large portion of this thread has been a discussion about just disassembly and whether or not it’s justified. 9 pages long and a lot of the comments are off topic.

I’ve been a victim of this 4 times now where I’ve gotten partly or fully disassembled knives this is why I would like to see an authorised repair shop set up in Europe. I was told by the company I got them from it was probobly done on the assembly line in the factory as the torx screw heads were stripped but I know this wouldn’t get past Spydercos QC so they have been told to replace them by our trade & standards authority to which they have to comply with with in 30 days of notice or refund my money or replace the knives.
Good for you! HH?
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

No it wasn’t HH, those guys are good people over there and wouldn’t do that. There a very reputable company and look after there customers and I have a lot of respect for those guys as they have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me in the past. I only buy of HH now after what happened and I have a good customer relationship with them so I’m sticking with them.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Liquid Cobra wrote:...It’s simple. If you disassemble a new knife, it’s yours. Don’t return it.
I'd go a step further. If you adjust a new knife, it's yours. Maybe it's just a matter semantics in this case.

So then, how do you enforce it? I believe at this point we can leave out the notion of making the knives non-customer serviceable either by changing everything to pinned construction or gluing the screws shut.

Couple of solutions pitched so far,
- restocking fee used to have Spyderco re-certify a knife as new, to be sold as new
- tamper proof seal, which if intact upon a knife's return to dealer, allows a knife to be sold as new

Any others?
Peter
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

No gluing is not the answer and neither is the tamper proof seal. I belive like the major phone companies do there should be small authorised repair shops set up both in the states and in Europe. Doing what you said could make Spyderco lose 15% to 20% of there customer base possible more as the people still would take the knives apart anyway and still send them in and in doing this Spyderco will have a crapton more knives sent in dues to folks wanting to pay for the damage after trying to take there knives apart. If you read the reviews on here you will see that more than 30% or 40% perscent possibly more will stop buy Spydercos knives and to lose that type of money is a massive amount. Glued or riverted knives is a big mistake, there are better alternatives to that move. There are also a few other knife companies doing this setting up repair shops so it’s a good move and there are also other unrelated companies doing this so it must work.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Stuman wrote:...

Let's try this one more time.

Sal's post is about about a specific problem - knives, which have been tempered with, are being returned to dealers as new, or demanding full refund. This causes several problems. So how can Spyderco prevent this specific occurrence - tempered with knives being returned as new. I documented couple of suggestions.

Please explain to me how, according to you, the temper proof seal would,
- make Spyderco lose 15% to 20% of their customer base
- people still would take the knives apart anyway
Peter
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Or, put another way, how can a company better protect themselves from dishonest customers?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

MichaelScott wrote:Or, put another way, how can a company better protect themselves from dishonest customers?
Anyone want to volunteer to be a Dexter sort of character that hunts down bad customers who screw everyone else? :D :eek:
Basetta70

Post by Basetta70 »

I'm so sorry Sal but taking apart knife (except for OTF/autos) is not a rocket science, just some screws.
I just finished right now to take apart my delica that after 7 years of daily work needs some cleaning/greasing and polishing.
It was a surprise to see that the internal liners were rust free :) and appreciate the good tolerance of the product and the presence of washer, a little bit smaller and not preventing the ricasso to be scratched by the handle (to be perfect it should be leveled to the internal liner.
It's a pity if one day the spring will break (it could happen) and I cannot have any replacement.
Shipping a knife from Europe to US just to have a replacement is a little bit disappointing.
I hope there will be a way to have the 3 clip's screws because I've lost them years ago (they simply unscrewed and gone lost)

PS as far I remember some times ago there was a delica/endura replacement kit, am I correct?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Whilst you can return a substandard new or nearly knife to the official dealer after purchase, the warranty documentation still specifically requires the knife to be returned to the USA for warranty work.

Yes, overseas customers do have to accept higher purchase prices, higher cost of ownership, and less service. Thanks for the reminder!
Chris, I think Mr Glesser has appointed MichaelScott as his spokesman and Head Of International Customer Service. :rolleyes:

Either way he is well versed on Spyderco policy and he can recite it word for word. He's also very strict but much more betterer than a Post-it note stuck on your fridge. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Basetta70 wrote:I'm so sorry Sal but taking apart knife (except for OTF/autos) is not a rocket science, just some screws.
I just finished right now to take apart my delica that after 7 years of daily work needs some cleaning/greasing and polishing.
It was a surprise to see that the internal liners were rust free :) and appreciate the good tolerance of the product and the presence of washer, a little bit smaller and not preventing the ricasso to be scratched by the handle (to be perfect it should be leveled to the internal liner.
It's a pity if one day the spring will break (it could happen) and I cannot have any replacement.
Shipping a knife from Europe to US just to have a replacement is a little bit disappointing.
I hope there will be a way to have the 3 clip's screws because I've lost them years ago (they simply unscrewed and gone lost)

PS as far I remember some times ago there was a delica/endura replacement kit, am I correct?
Now, i am not trying to provoke you in any way, but in what way was it necessary to disassemble the Delica "for cleaning greasing and polishing"?
My Wharncliffe S30V Delica is already free dropping, so i don't think it will ever need polishing (if you are/were referring to the pivot), Nano oil gets in the pivot and all other innards of the knife so i can't see any need to disassemble it for the forseeable service life of it..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bloke wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

Chris, I think Mr Glesser has appointed MichaelScott as his spokesman and Head Of International Customer Service. :rolleyes:

Either way he is well versed on Spyderco policy and he can recite it word for word. He's also very strict but much more betterer than a Post-it note stuck on your fridge. ;)
Fortunately for you, no he hasn’t.
You too can be well versed. Try this: https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

Team Innovation
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Daveho wrote:
shunsui wrote:I don't think it's surprising that Spyderco doesn't stock every screw, washer, or watever for every model they ever made.

If that outrages you, I encourage you to start your own company.
No one had expressed that they should, additionally I doubt that spyderco are making the screws and washers so having information as to where someone could buy one or even the specs on the fasteners would be helpful.
One could say that if a person cannot use a set of calipers, a ruler, a thread pitch gauge, a thread chart, and the McMaster Carr catalog, one is not qualified to be working on knives.

That level of expertise is MY personal level of responsibility to which I adhere prior to working on knives. It might not be yours, or Sal's. However, I just wanted to toss the notion of standards into the discussion in a concrete manner.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

MichaelScott wrote:
RLDubbya wrote:One thing I've learned from running support organizations: support is a black hole, taking all the resources you give it, and looking for more.

Perhaps there is room in a business model for an independent company with whom Spyderco can contract to provide warranty repair, sharpening, etc. Spyderco could provide documentation on it's products to this third party; the 3rd party would agree to a rate structure, and this would (a) fix the cost of service for Spyderco and (b) provide more techs for customers. Perhaps there are particular ranges of knives that give most of the problems - that 20% causing 80% of the problem. Perhaps Spyderco can keep all the collector stuff in house.

I would rather look at this ongoing conversation as a conversation about opportunity rather than a conversation about failure. I know the answers are not simple, but somebody once said "Opportunity knocked on my door and I slammed the door on its face because it looked a lot like hard work to me."
I don’t think I would buy off on the “black hole” assertion without some solid evidence to support it. I too spent a number of years running “support organizations” for a large company and I don’t recall it being near a “black hole.” I could be wrong in general since I have only my own experiences to support my view.

Responding to your 3rd party idea. I don’t know that Spyderco has problems with their warranty process and infrastructure in general. That may be working fine. What I have heard in the forum is the issue with non-warranty eligible knives being returned as “new”, or warranty-eligible is the cause of time and expense and some agitation on the forums. If their own warranty program is running fine, I would see no need to change that.

Some issues with turning over one’s support functions to a third party (a vendor) are that it requires another layer of management on Spyderco’s part. Some people have to be hired and trained to manage the vendor relationship. One also has to look at what incentives the vendor has to take on that business, like, how are they measured and how do they make money? Would Spyderco be only one client among many? How would the high standards of CQI and basic quality control be enforced with the vendor? Could the vendor meet Spyderco’s quality and cost requirements? What kind of customer satisfaction process would the vendor have and would it be up to Spyderco’s standards? How would Spyderco continually mananage that? If the relationship failed (pick your reason - degraded customer satisfaction with Spyderco would be the most damaging) how would Spyderco bring those functions back in-house? How long would that take? How much would that cost and how would Spyderco repair their damaged image in the knife community.

In my opinion, one of the things that sets Spyderco apart from other knife markers is their connection with and relationship with their customers. That’s something that is hard won, and you have to treat as a major company asset.

Not to say that your idea is bad, but it requires a lot of thought and study and business goes on all the while. Thanks for posting it. I hope it gets more discussion.
We might have to agree to leave the question of "black hole" evidence as falling in the realm of anecdotal evidence. My beliefs are founded based on experience in the hardware and software world.

There are several companies, but perhaps most well known is Unisys, which perform the majority of desktop, laptop, etc., repair for Dell and other major computer manufacturers. Dell keeps their enterprise branding in-house, but pretty much everything else gets you a Unisys tech. It works, and it works fairly well, IMO. That's more specifically where I was coming from with my post.

I also fully agree that this is not a trivial move. I'm not sure that it requires an "another layer of management on Spyderco's part." I would agree that it requires a different layer of management on their part. I think it's clear that companies like Dell have identified a cost savings with such a structure, and I would think that at least a portion of that cost savings would fall on the management side of the house.

In short, I agree with most of your points: this would not be a trivial move to make. I am a bit confused by at least one of your questions, to wit: "How would the high standards of CQI and basic quality control...". Perhaps I am betraying my ignorance (more than likely I am) but I thought that CQI revolved around material objects, not people - so we talk about the Millie having a CQI release, and we mean that it gets new liners, a tweaked lock, better standoffs, and other physical changes.

I think that, again, we should flip things around and look at opportunity: rather than simply stating that Sypderco's connection with customers can/will be damaged by such a business reorg, I'd prefer to look at how this opens doors for stronger connections. I have in mind (admittedly half-baked) that if Spyderco is no longer expending its collective brain power worrying about bad returns and their impact on the bottom line, perhaps they can expend more brain power on, oh, customer education on a series of topics which have been identified as having the largest statistical impact on the bottom line.

I've always viewed the sum total of product delivery as being comprised of 3 "legs" if you will: product development, including in this case CQI; technical / customer support; and customer education. If any of those three legs is significantly shorter than the other two, you end up with a wobbly tripod (product delivery).

Great thoughts, sir. Thank you for making the time to reply to me, I am flattered.
Basetta70

Post by Basetta70 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Basetta70 wrote:I'm so sorry Sal but taking apart knife (except for OTF/autos) is not a rocket science, just some screws.

Now, i am not trying to provoke you in any way, but in what way was it necessary to disassemble the Delica "for cleaning greasing and polishing"?
My Wharncliffe S30V Delica is already free dropping, so i don't think it will ever need polishing (if you are/were referring to the pivot), Nano oil gets in the pivot and all other innards of the knife so i can't see any need to disassemble it for the forseeable service life of it..
No problem Larry, I've used a lot it for fresh fruit peeling and sometimes juices are reaching the ricasso and enter into the pivot zone plus carry it in the trousers pocket it catch a lot of lint and day after day it build up some crop (that start pitting on the ZDP steel).
I of course made normal manteniance with oil but after 7 years I've decided to have it fully serviced, I think one full revision after 7 years is a very good mileage, don't you know?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:Fortunately for you, no he hasn’t.
You too can be well versed. Try this: https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/
Michael ole mate, you and a few other seem to miss what us 'Colonials' are trying to say. That being we pay good money for our toys and we don't have the support you enjoy and take for granted.

As an example I have three Millie's amongst twenty odd Spyders. No budget models. Those three knives left me with about enough change from $AU1000 to maybe half fill my trucks tank with diesel.

It's easy for you to tell me to take my knife to the Australian distributor but, Zen Imports or whatever they call themselves do not have a shopfront.

Mr Glesser has stated that international distributors get the biggest discounts yet we the humble consumer see none of this. You can't buy a knife from them and they certainly don't service them. They distribute them to retailers after their initial mark up, the retailer adds his mark up and the consumer bleeds. It's a crock of ****!

I paid from memory around $AU270+ for a HAP40 Delica that took over a week to get from Zen to the thief that finally sold it to me and another ten odd days before I had it in my hand. When I inquired where my knife was some kook told me they were busy but would post it out soon enough.

I'd likely sooner drink toilet water than deal with them again.

KnifeCentre has knives at my local post office in under a fortnight and I pay what the knife is worth and $US15 about for shipping. They promptly reply to inquiries and are a pleasure to deal with.

The best Australian Spyderco Fanboys like me could wish for is for Zen Imports to catch fire and burn to the ground, be swallowed up by a sink hole or similar and we all start again afresh. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin