Seeking an EDC recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uprightman

Re: Seeking an EDC recommendation

Post by Uprightman »

Hadn't really considered the manix 2 but the lightweight caught my eye a bit.. Man this is going to be tough.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I read in another thread that the Cutlery Shoppe has a few HAP40 Caly 3s available. Great steel and very pocket friendly carry.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
anycal

Post by anycal »

I too would go for a bigger knife to supplement your Delica. But here is another comparison shot for you of Delica sized knives,

Peter
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Native 5/Stretch 2/ Manix 2 would be my suggestions, if you feel like trying a Slipjoint I would really recommend the droppoint (my favorite) UKPK. :)
In general I like the Stretch 2 most as EDC but if you're that much into the Delica you might not like the size and/or a choil..
warbow150

Post by warbow150 »

I just picked up a Knifecenter exclusive native 5. This one has thicker g10 but no liners and an s90v blade. Very, very nice edc. Solid, no blade play, light. Just about perfect for a small folder.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Welcome
Manix2 LW 110v or Manix2 S90v from Cutlery Shoppe would be reasonably priced entries into the super steel arena.
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

Currently leaving more towards a native 5 lightweight if the manix was a hair smaller I'd go that route. My pm2 stays at home often due to its size.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S110v Native LW. Good steel, good ergos, true ambidextrous opening/closing and lock, and very light weight.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

ZrowsN1s wrote:S110v Native LW. Good steel, good ergos, true ambidextrous opening/closing and lock, and very light weight.
Why the s110v over s35vn?
Last edited by Uprightman on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find the S35VN to be a fine steel and it is much easier to sharpen than the S110V.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

1. Mantra, since (as previously mentioned) it is like a Delica but way, way better steel, handle, and flipper action.
2. Dice, Blade HQ and Knife center has these at a discount since they are discontinued.
3. Native 5 is a good choice if you want a back lock. But the action of the Dice and Mantra are better. There is an FRN handle version or a heavier G10 handle version.
4. Sage 1 has a VERY smooth action for a liner lock, or compared to any other knife for that matter. The liner lock release is easy on the thumb.
5. The Urban, esp. the gray version in K390 steel, is a superb slip joint knife.
6. The UK Pen Knife in S110V steel. Another superb slip joint knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc Dan wrote:I find the S35VN to be a fine steel
+1
Doc Dan wrote: and it is much easier to sharpen than the S110V.
I think this depends on your sharpening gears. There is not much difference, when I reprofile on WE and there is no difference, when I touch up on medium sharpmaker rods.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Uprightman wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:S110v Native LW. Good steel, good ergos, true ambidextrous opening/closing and lock, and very light weight.
Why the s110v over s35vn?
S110V has high stain and wear resistance, it's just a great all around steel, Spyderco is one of the only companies using it, so you'll have something unique, I like the blue color of the handles too. S35VN is an excellent steel, nothing bad to say about it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal