Seeking an EDC recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uprightman

Seeking an EDC recommendation

Post by Uprightman »

Hey all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new EDC for Christmas, and I'm on the fence. Hoping to get some advice here to help focus my thoughts.

My long tike EDC has been a green ffg delica 4, and I love it, adore it really. The problem is I like it too much I think. I have a dragonfly 2 I hardly carry, a pm2 I like, but I always come back to the delica. Sometimes I don't last the whole day with something else in my pocket. I went on a Benchmade kick for a while with a mini grip, and a 940-2, but I'm hot and cold on those for silly reasons too.

Basically I like my Delica, and I dont want to replace it, just find something I actually will rotate it with. I think I want a USA spydie (not because I'm against the other country's of origin, I just really dig that earth engraving.) I'm a lefty, so some of the frame lock options look tricky as well, left handed tip up clip is a must.

I initially thought a para3 would be nice, but I'm not certain about it, and don't love the clip set up much. I also looked at the native 5 lightweight, but am not sure. So I would love some recommendations from all of you!
blueblur

Re: Seeking an EDC recommendation

Post by blueblur »

Initially I was going to say you can try a Delica in a different steel or a wharnie Delica but if you want to try a US blade and like the size of the Delica, look into the Native. There are a bunch of different flavors out there right now. Since you're a lefty have you looked into a lefty PM2? The Manix 2 is another fully ambi knife that's available in several variations that is worth looking into. Made in Golden too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome!

The Native is the 3 inch option in the Golden lineup but it is a bit more robust than the Delica. It is a chunky thing in comparison. It is a great knife though.

If you want something that can compete with the Delica as far as being a svelte knife that is very slicey then I would suggest the Chaparral. It isn't a Golden model but it is a wonderful EDC.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome!!

I second the Lefty PM2 and Manix 2 ideas. If you haven't tried the lefty comp lock, I'd encourage you to if you can. I like my lefty miles better than the standard version.

Personally, I've also always preferred the UK Pen Knife and Native lw to the Delica. I want to like the Delica, but it never felt quite right in my hand. I'll definitely pick up the new Chaparral lw as well.
:spyder:
anycal

Post by anycal »

Sounds like you like your Delica ;). If you are looking for US made Delica sized knife, UKPK is the one. It is a great EDC knife for most task using smaller blades. Supper light, and great price for S110V steel.

Not easy to get, but the Caly 3 has booted the Delica out of regular rotation for me.

Then, there is the Delica flipper - Mantra.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I was gonna say get a Mantra since it's basically a flipper M4 Delica but being a lefty ruins that. If you're that set on the Delica maybe just try the wharnie version? Maybe a Chaparral or Sage but they're not Golden made.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para3 is your best bet IMO.It's nothing wrong with that clip once you realize that in fact it gives you easier access to the handle.I like it quite alot!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Welcome!
If you want something that can compete with the Delica as far as being a svelte knife that is very slicey then I would suggest the Chaparral. It isn't a Golden model but it is a wonderful EDC.
+1 - This was my thought as well. The Chaparral is super slicey little knife.

I have been using it or a SB Delica as my primary work carry for a while now.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great recommendations. If you want USA made, the Native5 and Para3 or going to be your best bet for a smaller knife (unless you like the quirky Wolfspyder). Manix2 LW is a real winner if you want a bigger knife to rotate in.

If you're willing to leave the "Earth" engraving behind, I'd say that the Caly3 and Chaparral are more of a Delica competitor.

Here's one of my stock photos for this situation:
Manix2 LW, Sage1, Native5 LW, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4

I should probably take a new one with the Para3 and Caly3
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Golden Made: Para 3 - the clip isn't that big an issue and if it is MXG or Lynch deep carry will fix you up...or go clipless with lanyard.
Non-Golden: Caly 3/3.5 are fantastic, any of the Chaparral models (FRN on the way) or Sage 5.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a different suggestion. Why not purchase a knife you can carry with your Delica, rather than buying one to replace the Delica?

You could get a serrated knife. Serrated Delica in wharncliffe or the regular blade shape are options. So is the Salt 2, which is essentially a rust proof Delica.

You could get a tiny knife, but when you only need a little bit of blade. The ladybug and Manbug are popular. I like the Spin myself.

You could get something with a different blade shape, such as a hawkbill. The dragonfly hawkbill is popular, and the Tasman Salt is a personal favorite. You could do what I do....carry a serrated Tasman Salt for jobs that are tough on your knife, and reserve the Delica for less abusive tasks.
:unicorn
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I prefer the Manix 2 LW by a large margin over the Native. Although the M2LW seems a little wide in the pocket after carrying a Delica, it just takes a little getting used to and then it disappears.

I carried a Delica exclusively for many years but the Cutlery Shoppe S90V M2LW hasn't left my pocket since I got it. I have a BD1 version as well and it is fine too. The M2LW is an amazingly ergonomic design with a very versatile blade length.

Commit to a 30 day carry without the Delica and you will hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

The native 5 lightweight has caught my eye certainly, as have most of the options everyone has been kind enough to give. The para3 certainly seems logical, especially with a deep carry clip.. I think really I could be happy with any number of them. I go back and forth everyday.

I have much thinking to do
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you like the Delica and you apparently do which is good because it is an ideal and affordable EDC blade then there are two recommendations I can throw your way. First and foremost I would say that a Golden, Colorado USA made NATIVE model would be my first pick for that blade size range. Second I would recommend something in the Calypso line up. If you're lucky to find one of the older/discontinued Calypso Junior models you just could not go wrong with that at all.

I personally normally don't like smaller blades for what I do but at one time I EDCed a Burgundy, Calypso Junior models with ZDP-189 blade steel. That's truly a premium EDC if you can find one>> even a Caly Jr. with VG-10 wouldn't be a bad pick either.

One more in that size range that's also discontinued but they do pop up every so often and that would be one of the Jess Horn models and they made one of them in ZDP-189 blade steel too.

Now if money isn't a problem you absolutely can't go wrong with any of the Paramilitary models. I have Para2 with S110V is a it's a fabulous EDC folder for that size range. My main EDC is a C-36 Military model with M390 blade steel>> but I won't recommend that one right away because I don't know what your local knife laws are. In some jurisdictions any blade longer than 3 inches is illegal unfortunately :( Luckily here in Missouri anything is good up to 4 inches in length. I hope that gives you some food for thought.
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

JD Spydo wrote:If you like the Delica and you apparently do which is good because it is an ideal and affordable EDC blade then there are two recommendations I can throw your way. First and foremost I would say that a Golden, Colorado USA made NATIVE model would be my first pick for that blade size range. Second I would recommend something in the Calypso line up. If you're lucky to find one of the older/discontinued Calypso Junior models you just could not go wrong with that at all.

I personally normally don't like smaller blades for what I do but at one time I EDCed a Burgundy, Calypso Junior models with ZDP-189 blade steel. That's truly a premium EDC if you can find one>> even a Caly Jr. with VG-10 wouldn't be a bad pick either.

One more in that size range that's also discontinued but they do pop up every so often and that would be one of the Jess Horn models and they made one of them in ZDP-189 blade steel too.

Now if money isn't a problem you absolutely can't go wrong with any of the Paramilitary models. I have Para2 with S110V is a it's a fabulous EDC folder for that size range. My main EDC is a C-36 Military model with M390 blade steel>> but I won't recommend that one right away because I don't know what your local knife laws are. In some jurisdictions any blade longer than 3 inches is illegal unfortunately :( Luckily here in Missouri anything is good up to 4 inches in length. I hope that gives you some food for thought.

I'm in PA so I can get away with most things, just not at work due to being a teacher. I have a pm2 and I like it a lot, I just don't seem to carry it over the delica, perhaps due to the size of it in my pocket.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum.

Does the knife have to lock? If not, take a good look at the Urban LW. It is a great knife. I am a Delica lover and I really like the Urban Light Weight. The is a new Chaparral with FRN coming out, maybe the end of the month or a bit later. It is very light in weight and is a great edc knife. In fact, that is what is was designed for. There is the Golden made Native 5 Light Weight. It is a great knife, but it is thicker than the Delica, if that matters. Also, the grip is a bit small for my XXL hand, but the Delica is just right. If you do not have a large hand, then the Native 5 LW is a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

Doc Dan wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Does the knife have to lock? If not, take a good look at the Urban LW. It is a great knife. I am a Delica lover and I really like the Urban Light Weight. The is a new Chaparral with FRN coming out, maybe the end of the month or a bit later. It is very light in weight and is a great edc knife. In fact, that is what is was designed for. There is the Golden made Native 5 Light Weight. It is a great knife, but it is thicker than the Delica, if that matters. Also, the grip is a bit small for my XXL hand, but the Delica is just right. If you do not have a large hand, then the Native 5 LW is a great knife.
I wear a size M glove generally. How does the Native 5 LW carry in the pocket compared to the delica, other than being slightly thicker?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is okay. It will still fit in the watch pocket of my jeans. If you carry it clipped, there are no issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have large hand and I love my Natives. It carries great clipped to my rare right pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Native 5 or Chaparral :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King