UKPK thoughts. PIC HEAVY

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: UKPK thoughts. PIC HEAVY

Post by awa54 »

aesmith wrote:
awa54 wrote:The M390 Urban ..
Not K390?
whoops! yeah, that'd be the *K*390 Urban, no need for it in M390, the Elmax does just fine ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nate wrote: Image
Did the switcheroos. Real easy, no issues:

Combo edge blade is now in the gray scales, left the blue one alone. Thanks again for the input Mr. Shawn!
:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nate wrote:

Combo edge blade is now in the gray scales, left the blue one alone. Thanks again for the input Mr. Shawn!
So the new ffg blade will work in the olds scales? How's the lock up?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

It's the same, I kept the new spring (actually all the hardware) with the ffg blade. As far as I can tell, the new and old scales are identical. Makes sense that they wouldn't change the molds if they didn't have to.

The screws had what looked like white loctite on them. They were tight, but I was able to break them free without issue. On the older ones, there was a spot of blue on each screw but they all came out really easily.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The FRN UKPK and Urbans are a little more difficult to mod than their G10 predecessors. I've done it, but honestly, the Maniago FRN knives (e.g., Pingo and Squeak) lend themselves to modding much more readily.

The G10 versions of the UKPK and Urbans are outstanding knives for modding. I've done dozens over the years and really enjoy the simple and reliable construction of these blades. Hats off to Sal and Eric for continuously raising the bar for over 30 years!

TedP

Here are some shots of the inside of a wooden UKPK. I had fabricate a couple of spacers. Do a search in the PICs subforum and you can see my post on how to do it:

And here are some modded F10 versions:
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

Nate wrote:

You're welcome, Nate! Thanks for sharing your work. Love the updates! :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

phillipsted wrote:The FRN UKPK and Urbans are a little more difficult to mod than their G10 predecessors. I've done it, but honestly, the Maniago FRN knives (e.g., Pingo and Squeak) lend themselves to modding much more readily.

The G10 versions of the UKPK and Urbans are outstanding knives for modding. I've done dozens over the years and really enjoy the simple and reliable construction of these blades. Hats off to Sal and Eric for continuously raising the bar for over 30 years!

TedP

Here are some shots of the inside of a wooden UKPK. I had fabricate a couple of spacers. Do a search in the PICs subforum and you can see my post on how to do it:

And here are some modded F10 versions:
That's really beautiful work, Ted. I'll have to check the Pics subforum for technique and equipment used. I'd like to at least be able to make some G-10 handles at some point.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Looks very nice
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Anyone know if the blade thickness of the s110v is the same as the s30v in the titanium model? Considering a blade swap. Thanks.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The S110V is thinner.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

bpahk wrote:Anyone know if the blade thickness of the s110v is the same as the s30v in the titanium model? Considering a blade swap. Thanks.
LC just beat me to it, but per the catalog the titanium/s30v model is 3mm stock vs. 2.5mm on the frn models, including the s110v. I confirmed the s110v on my calipers and it's dead on, but I don't have the ti.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Thanks for confirming. Wasn't what I was hoping to hear tho
Do you think if I took all the other hardware like the spring and frn backspacer with the s110v blade and put it all in the titanium scales it could still work?
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'd guess it's probably possible to mod the ti scales to accept the s110v blade and spring, but I really don't know how difficult it would be. Also, there's no frn backspacer, just the two molded scales on the frn one.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've been meaning to update this thread and show how my slipit collection is coming along. I've sold a few that weren't working for me and accumulated others. This weekend I got my hands on my second collector club black g10 ukpk, and earlier in the week I finally got the S110V UKPK. On to the pics..

It's safe to say the UKPK is still my favourite Spyderco of all time.

Waiting impatiently for a Maxamet version...
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Image

Great collection!

I really like how a couple of these pics make the old light gray look like the dark gray on the k390 Urban. Nice color for a carbon steel UKPK sprint (*hint, hint* ;)). 52100 has also been long rumored and would be fine with me.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:..................

K390 or Cruwear UKPK would be my end all Spydie :spyder: :cool:

Marius