UKPK thoughts. PIC HEAVY

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

UKPK thoughts. PIC HEAVY

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don't think its a secret around here that I'm a fan of the UKPK. I owned one of the original FRN models with the weak spring and thought it was a nice design but the tension that kept it open was just too weak. I ended up selling it with the intention of getting the updated model in FFG and the stronger spring. It took me a while but I finally got my hands on the new one and it changed everything for me.

That single purchase turned my Spyderco collection upside down as I needed to sell a bunch of models that weren't seeing pocket time. I started searching for the other versions I needed of the UKPK that I thought would be up my alley. Basically the leaf shape versions of the G10, CF and Titanium models. For whatever reason the drop point doesn't do it for me so I've stuck to the leaf shape. All that's left for my collection is the orange G10 model, and I think I'm done. I am expecting the crown jewel to arrive next week which is of course..the PITS folder. I took some comparison photos to give you guys an idea of the slight variations between the models. I've also include the two Urban models since they're part of the same family and a new FRN model is on its way.

I'm not one for words, so I've tried to let my photos do the talking. Thanks for looking.

Left to right:

Urban Foliage Green G10, Urban Orange G10, FRN Black (updated), FRN Grey (old), Foliage Green G10, Black G10, Carbon Fiber, Titanium

The order in this photo got mixed up a bit.

There is slight variations in the blade thickness as you can see below.

The difference between the old G-10 and updated FRN blade thickness is pretty substantial. The thin blade stock makes for a mean slicer. Sal had mentioned a FRN S110V sprint as an idea and I for one would be very excited to see that come to fruition. I'd love to see how S110V would function in such a thin blade.

The jimping seems to vary from model to model, I like it either way.

Comparison shot of the old grind and finish versus the updated FRN model.

The UKPK really fits my hand well. It's actually a better fit than the Caly 3.5 which surprised me since my hands are large. It's possibe its just in my head ;)

Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Re: UKPK thoughts. PIC HEAVY

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Urbans:

I did a ridiculous sharpening on my wharncliffe Urban (regret) and I ended up losing the tip. I grinded down the spine to regain the tip, and I'm happy with how it turned out. The Urban is a nice knife but a bit small for me so it doesn't see as much pocket time as the rest. The fit and finish on the Seki made Urbans is outstanding and hold their own agains their Golden UKPK cousins.

Interesting pivot:

Orange (not color corrected)

Foliage Green

Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've already said a lot about this version, and it's pretty perfect for my uses. Although it costs less than most other models, it functions a lot better due to the thin grind and stronger spring.

I bought this version simply because I figured I needed an over version in my collection and I'm a sucker for grey knives. The weak "lock" automatically makes this my go to letter opener and that's about it.

The Black G10 model feels like an upgrade over the FRN models in a few ways. The G10 feels like quality in your hand and has some more heft which is nice. The steel jumps from BD1 to S30V as well. Then there is the "lock" which is considerably stiffer than the Grey model above. I love this knife.

Same as above, but perhaps nicer fit and finish.

The Carbon Fiber version has the weakest "lock" out of the higher end models. The carbon Fiber is smooth and looks very nice. the design of the handle locks the knife in your hand nicely, but if not held in a standard grip it can be kind of slippery. S30V steel again.

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

All hail the king! I don't yet own the PITS folder and until then I consider the titanium UKPK the king of the Slipits :) This knife reeks of quality. The added weight makes it feel great in the hand, the lock up is stronger than any other model and the fit and finish is perfect. The stonewash seems to add a bit of texture which equates to slightly more grip as well.

So that's it, I hope you enjoyed this overview of the UKPK/Urban.

Thanks,

Donovan

@liquid_cobra
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Great review. Nice Pix.

I got to handle a UKPK at a local shop and was surprised at how nice they were. Kinda reminded me of a Sage. Would love to pick up a sprint in S110V.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Great post. I only have the Orange g10 ukpk and the Orange urban which I swapped the leaf blade into. ill have to hunt down one of those Ti versions
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions and thoughts about UKPKs and the cousins Urban. I enjoyed the reading and wish you a long and intensive friendship with your slipjoints.

Again ... very well done :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was unaware that the G10 version was linerless. As I'm a huge fan of linerless G10, I may have to give this one a try if I can find one.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hey Cobra, I am a UKPK lover myself.And as you, I prefere the leaf shape blade.I kick myself for not geting the Ti version for 170USD when I had the chance.Now days it's 200+ on secondary market, but even so, I am decided to get one.I have a question for you; from all your models, which one has the strongest spring and the best lock ? Please rate the first 3 in that order.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice thread, bro! I'm a UKPK lover now too. The drop point FFG FRN hasn't left my pocket for a long time. I really hope Sal and Eric'll make all of us UKPK users all over the world a dark blue S110V model (with a dark clip and drop point and leaf please :) ).
I should take a pic of all my slipits. The G10 and Titanium ones have the strongest springs, then the perfect FFG FRN spring is next, then the 1st generation UKPK's are weakest. The Urbans are quite strong - maybe a bit less than the G10 UKPK's.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

That's a very cool collection. :cool:

I have not handled a UKPK but suspect it may be bigger than I like to carry. The SpyDK Is about as big as I like to go. Your pics have me looking forward to the FRN Urban even more.
Paul
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

elena86 wrote:Hey Cobra, I am a UKPK lover myself.And as you, I prefere the leaf shape blade.I kick myself for not geting the Ti version for 170USD when I had the chance.Now days it's 200+ on secondary market, but even so, I am decided to get one.I have a question for you; from all your models, which one has the strongest spring and the best lock ? Please rate the first 3 in that order.
"Lock" strength in order from strongest to weakest..titanium is the strongest. Then for me it's a toss up between the updated FRN model and the G10. Jazz summed it up nicely I'd say.

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

Thanx for sharing your knowledge and experience, and also your great pics.

You might say that I have a relationship with the group at British Blades. It's their needs due to government laws in the UK combined with their deep knowledge that lead to the develoment of Slippies. The UK was created as the result of a long discussion with the guys (and girls) on BB. One of the forumites on BB lead me to Mike's design and the rest is history.

The development of the UKPK, started the family; UKPK, Urban and Squeak. Maybe we can convice Mike to create a sibling? :p

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the kind words and for making such great knives. I've noticed you pop over to Brittish Blades every now and then. I like to keep an eye on things over there as there is a bit more UKPK love/discussion.

I know the PITS was Mikes first knife, has he done any others?

Donovan
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean he can't be enticed. :cool:

sal
LC Kid

UKPK family

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Cobra!

What a fantastic collection! And very nice pics. :)

I can count the Black & Orange G10s, Carbon Fiber, Titanium and both Urbans. Still hunting the Foliage Green G10. :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree with you: Ti is the King! :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

After reading your review, I'd really like to get my hands on a black G-10 UKPK to complement my black G-10 PM2. I was thinking Dragonfly 2 G-10, but I'm a little OCD and I'd love to have a Golden-made little big knife to go along with the Golden-made PM2 (and have matching handles).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

kennethsime wrote:After reading your review, I'd really like to get my hands on a black G-10 UKPK to complement my black G-10 PM2. I was thinking Dragonfly 2 G-10, but I'm a little OCD and I'd love to have a Golden-made little big knife to go along with the Golden-made PM2 (and have matching handles).
Unfortunately the G10 models are long discontinued and tricky to find. I agree it goes nicely with a para :)

@liquid_cobra
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

One of my first Spyderco knives was a foliage green UKPK DP which opened my eyes to quality knives.
Still the G10 UKPK handle fits my hands best of all the folding knives I own.
My most used one is the G10 Rescue, the best combination of good ergonomics, effective blade grind and ease of opening/closing.

Hearing about a FRN S110V one is very good news for me, the Manix2 LW is great but too big for city EDC.

Thank you for summing up this line of awesome knives!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Commendatore wrote:One of my first Spyderco knives was a foliage green UKPK DP which opened my eyes to quality knives.
Still the G10 UKPK handle fits my hands best of all the folding knives I own.
My most used one is the G10 Rescue, the best combination of good ergonomics, effective blade grind and ease of opening/closing.

Hearing about a FRN S110V one is very good news for me, the Manix2 LW is great but too big for city EDC.

Thank you for summing up this line of awesome knives!
My pleasure. I would like to get a Rescue UKPK someday. I really hope Sal decides to do a sprint, that would be very cool.

@liquid_cobra