Dragonfly Salt Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Dragonfly Salt Hawkbill

Post by olywa »

I have more Dragonfly models than any rationalization can justify, and it's a pretty good bet one of them will be occupying my fifth pocket on any given day. I usually remove the clip and tie a short pinky lanyard on my favorites. Even though I think of them as my backup to a larger knife, the DF is usually the one I reach for, and more often than not it is the Salt Hawkbill SE. From opening envelopes, to breaking down cardboard, to cleaning a stringer of panfish or trout, this little over-achiever does most everything I ask of it. It's pretty much my little Goldilocks knife since it's 'just right' for so many tasks.

I'm hoping that we'll see the DF Salt Hawkbill SE get some attention from Spyderco in the form of a Magnacut and/or LC200 release. I mean, if it can happen for the other Seki Salts, why not the DF? Just wanted to make this request and see if it germinated. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it also got a Wharncliffe SE variation either.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Dragonfly Salt Hawkbill

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Such a great little knife. PE Magnacut would be awesome. Would be cool if they did G-10 scales like the PM2.

A hawkbill lil native would also be very welcome in that (or any) configuration.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brant

Post by Brant »

I’m also a big fan of the dragonflies. I think they nailed the handle ergonomics perfectly. I’d also like to see an XL version someday with maybe a 3” blade? A Magnacut in either size works for me too!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Dragonfly was my first spyderco. I did not like the molded in clip, and really liked the dragonfly 2 cqi and removable wire clip. I prefer clipless pocket carry.

I have not come around to the hawkbill, yet.. I do like the salt se h1/h2. Have started trying the salt pe, too. It does dull or need touching up more frequently, but also gets abused now and then…

I may try the hawkbill next.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill and a Tasman Salt. I had a Spyderhawk that I shouldn't have sold. All three H1 serrated. I know everyone wants the latest steels, but I don't see how these knives could be better in this configuration with any other steel.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I hear you. I have the Ladybug Salt and Tasman Salt SE as well. I use and enjoy them both, just not to the same degree as the Dragonfly, I just want the serrated edge to last a little longer than the H1/H2 affords me. The SE Magnacut on my Native 5 Salt holds up noticeably longer.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've been considering a Dfly Hawbill for a while too. It would be a great tweener. I'm surprised to hear Magnacut SE holds up longer for you than H1 SE. I don't know if things have changed, but H1 SE has been known to cut longer than most, or any.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I really wish they would announce they’re planning to make a green Salt Dfly in LC200N, I don’t understand what the holdup has been. I’d be happy with basically any blade shape — leaf, wharnie, or hawkbill. I just really want a Dfly in that awesome green color they use on their other Seki LC200N Salt offerings. This isn’t a new request, it’s been brought up earlier a few times:

viewtopic.php?t=82552

viewtopic.php?t=91685
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Hawkbill rides lefty with me to work about 90% of the time. The amount of work that thing has done is silly. Zip ties, rope, burlap, tree roots, branches, etc...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:05 pm
I really wish they would announce they’re planning to make a green Salt Dfly in LC200N, I don’t understand what the holdup has been. I’d be happy with basically any blade shape — leaf, wharnie, or hawkbill. I just really want a Dfly in that awesome green color they use on their other Seki LC200N Salt offerings. This isn’t a new request, it’s been brought up earlier a few times:

viewtopic.php?t=82552

viewtopic.php?t=91685
I'd be so down for this. For goodness sakes make a PE hawkbill.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal