Weird info by a dealer concerning the CATCHERMAN: "[On the batch we have the]"blade chips on tubing"".. ? Any inputs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Weird info by a dealer concerning the CATCHERMAN: "[On the batch we have the]"blade chips on tubing"".. ? Any inputs?

Post by Wartstein »

Ordered a Catcherman sprint from Coutellerie Tourangelle (European online dealer, so far only good experiences):

Since the knife did not arrive at "no later than May 14" as announced, I asked them what´s going on:
Their reply (exact quote):

"Actually C17 [Catcherman] that we have in stock cannot be sold the blade chips on tubing.
We are waiting a last shipment from Spyderco with somes C17 that do not have this trouble."

(Keep in mind: This is a french shop, so their English is not 100% perfect)

I am not really sure what they mean... "blade chips on tubing"? Like it chips when one cuts some hosing?! :thinking

And they strongly imply that only the batch THEY have is "chippy"?
So that for example the heat treat went wrong on some Catcherman examples?

Of course I asked, but they did not come back to me yet.

Any inputs from you guys here?!
I am about to order a Catcherman somewhere else where they actually are in stock, but would like to know if there is anything going on with a "chippy batch".. ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
N. Brian Huegel

Re: Weird info by a dealer concerning the CATCHERMAN: "[On the batch we have the]"blade chips on tubing"".. ? Any inputs

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Perhaps the blade is hitting the thong/lanyard hole FRN tube when closed.

brian
Wartstein

Re: Weird info by a dealer concerning the CATCHERMAN: "[On the batch we have the]"blade chips on tubing"".. ? Any inputs

Post by Wartstein »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 am
Perhaps the blade is hitting the thong/lanyard hole FRN tube when closed.

brian

Ah, thanks, that could be what they mean!

But then they are actually confunding the Catcherman with the Stretch XL (non LW) or something like that... the Catcherman does not have a lanyard hole tube...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TABA68

Post by TABA68 »

I have ordered mine from Coutellerie Tourangelle and it is ok. In knifestock they have it for less - 131,43 eur. I do not know, if you are in country, were they are. I am on Slovak side, so i can orderd it and see if it is ok in brick store in Bratislava. I have ordered several times from them, and the provider is ok.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s hard to know what they mean when writing this, so I’ll refrain from guessing. I’m very surprised they have another batch on the way though.
While I have arrangements in place to acquire one, it would be really awesome if a few more of these trickled out to European dealers before all stock is depleted.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:07 am
It’s hard to know what they mean when writing this, so I’ll refrain from guessing. I’m very surprised they have another batch on the way though.
While I have arrangements in place to acquire one, it would be really awesome if a few more of these trickled out to European dealers before all stock is depleted.
I am almost certain that they mean what Brian said above, so that the blade is hitting the lanyard tube... except the Catcherman does not have a lanyard tube and so they must confund it with another Spydie, probably the G10 Stretch XL...
And I am also sure there is NOT another batch (of the Catcherman) on the way.

I have to say though: While so far I was very happy when doing business with Coutellerie Tourangelle (like 5 or 6 times), this time I am actually a bit disappointed and/or confused.
I made inquiries four times as of now, the last two just asking what was the matter with that "tube hitting" and explaining to them that they most likely can´t mean the Catcherman and also just asking to let me know what´s the matter with my order.
No replies to that.
I could imagine (just a guess!) that they took my order without (accidentally) actually having a Catcherman left (they are out of stock now) and now are waiting if some returns will arrive of which they then could forward one to me.
Would be nice though if they´d let me know... (whatever the case might be)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:01 pm
I have to say though: While so far I was very happy when doing business with Coutellerie Tourangelle (like 5 or 6 times), this time I am actually a bit disappointed and/or confused.
That's disappointing to read. It's not like we have too many decent and dependable retailers in Europe as it is.

I've never bought anything from CT, but it's been close - to the point where I've placed an order, and the few interactions I've had with them has been pleasant. My one order was ultimately cancelled as the most important item turned out to not be in stock due to inventory discrepancy, but in all my communication they have been responsive and helpful.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:01 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:07 am
I am almost certain that they mean what Brian said above, so that the blade is hitting the lanyard tube... except the Catcherman does not have a lanyard tube and so they must confund it with another Spydie, probably the G10 Stretch XL...
And I am also sure there is NOT another batch (of the Catcherman) on the way.

I made inquiries four times as of now, the last two just asking what was the matter with that "tube hitting" and explaining to them that they most likely can´t mean the Catcherman and also just asking to let me know what´s the matter with my order.
No replies to that.
I could imagine (just a guess!) that they took my order without (accidentally) actually having a Catcherman left (they are out of stock now) and now are waiting if some returns will arrive of which they then could forward one to me.
Would be nice though if they´d let me know... (whatever the case might be)
PM sent
Bob Janvier

Post by Bob Janvier »

Hi guys,
I bought a Catcherman Salt Sprint Run from Coutellerie Tourangelle and I have the exact same issue.
I called them to know why my order is not shipping (I'm french) and had a talk with a very serious employee.
He explained to me that it seems that some Catchermans (maybe 2 units or more) had chip on the tip of the blade when closing the knife.
It could be the blade hitting the FRN handle when closing but he was not absolutely affirmative.
Spyderco is informed about the problem.
Spyderco has a high quality standard and wants the customer to have the best product as possible.
So Spyderco asked to send back the all stock for inspection (and for fixing the problem if necessary).
The CT employee told me that the process will take some times but the orders will be honored.
I'm a customer at Coutellerie Tourangelle since 2014 with more than twenty orders on this website and never had any issue with them. They have a good communication and take the customer's satisfaction very seriously.
I may be wrong, but I think Coutellerie Tourangelle is one of the only European retailers that has access to Sprint Runs. Spyderco must think they are serious people to do business with...
Last edited by Bob Janvier on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bob Janvier wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:43 pm
Hi guys,
I bought a Catcherman Salt Sprint Run from Coutellerie Tourangelle and I have the exact same issue.
I called them to know why my order is not shipping (I'm french) and had a talk with a very serious employee.
He explained to me that it seems that some Catchermans (maybe 2 units or more) had chip on the tip of the blade when closing the knife.
It could be the blade hitting the FRN handle when closing but he was not absolutely affirmative.
Spyderco is informed about the problem.
Spyderco has a high quality standard and wants the customer to have the best product as possible.
So Spyderco asked to send back the all stock for inspection (and for fixing the problem if necessary).
The CT employee told me that the process will take some times but the orders will be honored.
I'm a customer at Coutellerie Tourangelle since 2014 with more than twenty orders on this website and never had any issue with them. They have a good communication and take the customer's satisfaction very seriously.
I may be wrong, but I think Coutellerie Tourangelle is one of the only European retailers that has access to Sprint Runs. Spyderco must think they are serious people to do business with...

Hi Bob,

came across your post just right now... thanks for the input and...interesting!

So it actually could be the case that the edge is chipping just by hitting FRN (and not a metal lanyard tube or the like)?!

And also a bit strange that we never heard of any issues like that with the Catcherman elsewhere... (or DOES anyone have chips on their Catcherman Sprint?)

/ Important to me also to point out again: So far I only had great experiences when purchasing knives from Coutellerie Tourangelle! Just in this particular case their communication could be better, but going by what you are saying they are just trying to make it right.