Next spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hydrashok

Next spyderco?

Post by Hydrashok »

Looking for some forum advice for my next irresponsible purchase, I’ve got a crucarta pm2 s30v pm3, lc200n Atlantic salt, assist vg10, and manix 2 lw s110v, I typically like 3” and change-ish edc type blades, what’s the next knife to add to the collection?
WilliamMunny

Re: Next spyderco?

Post by WilliamMunny »

My vote would be a Native 5 Maxamet. It is arguably one of the best 3" Spyderco knives and it is an extremely high wear tool steel, something you appear to be missing from your collection. With light/normal EDC pocket use you might only need to sharpen it once every few months. It will also develop a patina which to some can look pretty cool.

Good luck, there are hundreds of great options.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I second the Native 5, but would probably go with Magnacut, just because it is a cool steel, both for attributes and current "latest and greatest" status. The lightweight N5s are great models, but the AWT scales I just put on my Magnacut model take it to a whole new level (though for $100 they should...)

Were I to go with a tool steel, I would grab a delica or endella in K390. It is a pleasure to work with.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

The soon to be release Tenacious M4. I personally can't wait for this one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Chaparral.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chaparral is a great choice indeed!

Another good choice: Delica wharnie SE or Salt 2 wharnie SE (as long as still available) - to me personally also the better choices over the suggested Native in that size range (ymmv of course)

Or RockJumper SE (also discontinued, but should still to be found!)

In any case: I´d try a serrated Spydie!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

z cut.

everyone always ignores cooking knives. z cut is one of spydercos best values.
:unicorn
standy99

Post by standy99 »

A GB2 - just do it :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I just get more joy out of pushing my edc pocket knives into cooking and food prep work. I bet the spyderco cooking knives are all tremendous functional designs and well made though,
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hydrashok wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:36 pm
Looking for some forum advice for my next irresponsible purchase, I’ve got a crucarta pm2 s30v pm3, lc200n Atlantic salt, assist vg10, and manix 2 lw s110v, I typically like 3” and change-ish edc type blades, what’s the next knife to add to the collection?
Everyone should have a MuleTeam! Not a folder but....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tristan_david2001

Caly 3.5
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:57 am
I just get more joy out of pushing my edc pocket knives into cooking and food prep work. I bet the spyderco cooking knives are all tremendous functional designs and well made though,
Not sure why this is so common here.

Dedicated culinary knives have much better geometry, are built to be used on cutting baords, are easier to clean, have better ergonomics for food prep etc.

Sure you can use a Calypso to prep dinner, shave your face and split kindling, but dedicated tools all work better for that.

Z cuts will make the Calypso blade grind feel thick and bloated. They're lasers.
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:

Dedicated culinary knives have much better geometry, are built to be used on cutting baords, are easier to clean, have better ergonomics for food prep etc.

Sure you can use a Calypso to prep dinner, shave your face and split kindling, but dedicated tools all work better for that.

Z cuts will make the Calypso blade grind feel thick and bloated. They're lasers.
I’ve yet to use my calypso for shaving my face but there’s a first time for everything. And I hear your points. I’m well aware that dedicated kitchen knives that are kept sharp will out cut (in terms of ease of passing through the food) the calypso. But I put up with that minor(for me) difference in performance because I simply just enjoy using the the knife I love and enjoy using more. And I wouldn’t say the calypso is necessarily a bad design for being versatile for doing some food prep either, the geometry and blade shape has worked well in my use. One of the things I love about the design, it’s versatile to do a bit of everything I mostly use a knife for ona daily basis.
Hydrashok

Post by Hydrashok »

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:08 am
I second the Native 5, but would probably go with Magnacut, just because it is a cool steel, both for attributes and current "latest and greatest" status. The lightweight N5s are great models, but the AWT scales I just put on my Magnacut model take it to a whole new level (though for $100 they should...)

Were I to go with a tool steel, I would grab a delica or endella in K390. It is a pleasure to work with.
I agree with picking up a magnacut knife, hopefully when the whole salt series gets magnacut I’ll get another Atlantic salt
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:50 am
vivi wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:

I’ve yet to use my calypso for shaving my face but there’s a first time for everything. And I hear your points. I’m well aware that dedicated kitchen knives that are kept sharp will out cut (in terms of ease of passing through the food) the calypso. But I put up with that minor(for me) difference in performance because I simply just enjoy using the the knife I love and enjoy using more. And I wouldn’t say the calypso is necessarily a bad design for being versatile for doing some food prep either, the geometry and blade shape has worked well in my use. One of the things I love about the design, it’s versatile to do a bit of everything I mostly use a knife for ona daily basis.
you could do a lot worse than a calypso.

you could also much, much better for 1/3 the price ;)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Leaf Jumper k390 😉
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:41 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
vivi wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:

Much better is subjective. as I said it’s not just about the objective performance difference, it’s what I enjoy to use, I like to use my edc knives for as much cutting chores as it can work for possible because of the love for the knife. It also really works good enough functionally for me to really not desire another tool for the job…
I also personally just don’t take the art of a knife strictly for cutting up food in the kitchen very seriously. I get by just fine with basic store bought kitchen supplies. We’re all different kinds of knife fans here
kobold

Post by kobold »

Everything I wanted to suggest was done already, more or less, such as the GB2, so I will be specific: Chaparral birdseye maple, S90V Native in CF and to add something new: the Sage 1 Maxamet and the Straight Spine Stretch in K390.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:16 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:41 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
vivi wrote:

Much better is subjective. as I said it’s not just about the objective performance difference, it’s what I enjoy to use, I like to use my edc knives for as much cutting chores as it can work for possible because of the love for the knife. It also really works good enough functionally for me to really not desire another tool for the job…
I also personally just don’t take the art of a knife strictly for cutting up food in the kitchen very seriously. I get by just fine with basic store bought kitchen supplies. We’re all different kinds of knife fans here
I agree. I use a knife for food prep because I want to use the knife not because it's "the best tool" for the job.
vivi

Post by vivi »

enjoying a particular tool doesn't make it the best one for the job.

I like my scrapyard dogfather but my $40 fiskars chopping axe out performs it for splitting firewood.

Dedicated kitchen knives will absolutely outperform spyderco folders and it isn't even close. It's like taking a minivan to a race track. You might really like your minivan, but under no circumstances is it the best choice when it comes to pure performance.

I've thought for years it's incredibly odd how people can drop thousands on a bunch of 3" blade pocket knives but are reluctant to buy a single $40 victorinox chef knife. Out of all my knives my kitchen knives see the most use.

I stand by my suggestion. Most knife nuts would be well served by taking the $200 they plan on spending on their 20th 3" folder on a nice paring knife, 5" petty and 10" gyuto, and putting them to use.