SaltJumper?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blaine in the Rock

SaltJumper?

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

I love the Jumper handle shape. Love it. Can we talk about a SaltJumper? Spyderedge wharnie? Yellow? Magnacut? Not really too picky, I'd buy one in any configuration, but that sounds like perfection to me.
Mushroom

Re: SaltJumper?

Post by Mushroom »

The RockJumper was just discontinued this year. It was one wharnie among a long list of others, including the Salt 2 Wharncliffe that were discontinued. The RockJumper didn't appear to be such a hot seller, so I don’t know if sales would justify a Salt version.

There might be hope for a LeafJumper Salt though. It’s still in the lineup and even recently got a K390 version as well.
- Nick :bug-red
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I hope we see one eventually, regardless of blade shape. The handle forward design is superb.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I would buy several. I like the rockjumper exactly as is but lc or magnacut would improve it. Would much rather see this than a K390 version. I doubt it will happen as Mushroom pointed out but if we beg Spyderco enough you never know. Would you want it to be linerless like a salt series or are liners ok?
Blaine in the Rock

spydergoat wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:40 am
Would you want it to be linerless like a salt series or are liners ok?
Linerless would be preferred. I'd love to see the weight down around 2.4. Yeah, I got the discontinued Rock, and the discontinued Salt 2 Wharnie, but the SaltJumper is the one I need. I am hoping this thread will create a groundswell and Sal will see how much his design is loved. I would be stoked for a leaf shape and LC200N as well.
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

I think in the Leafjumper thread it was mentioned that a Leafjumper XL, and a Leafjumper Salt was in the works. I certainly hope so, the Leafjumper is a great design and knife I have in SE.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Truly hope this comes to pass. Right after a RockJumper K390; such a perfect combination. Probably irrational that I hope for one.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be in for a Salt Leafjumper.

A serrated wharnie Rockjumper Salt would have been nice too, but the Rock Salt name is already taken :smlling-eyes
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Y’all know I’m game 🙏😉
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Blaine in the Rock wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:19 pm
spydergoat wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:40 am
I would be stoked for a leaf shape and LC200N as well.
Something like a sage 6 salt would be nice.
Just one more knife...
Blaine in the Rock

Yes, I also feel like I could get excited about an Atlantic Salt 2, featuring the Endela handle. It is such a logical progression I have to imagine it's already been thought of.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Salt 'em all!
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I'm hoping we might get a PE Atlantic Salt in Magnacut eventually now that the PE LC200N has been discontinued. The SE H2 Atlantic Salt is superb and I always have one in my pocket for emergencies and particularly tough cuts but I prefer a PE blade for general utility work on the boat.

Even better would be a sheepsfoot Salt Jumper version to replace the now discontinued PE Atlantic Salt. I know the sheepsfoot isn't the biggest seller and those of us who are working mariners deeply appreciate that Spyderco continues to make a few of them for us.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d go so far as to speculate that if the RockJumper had come out first in a linerless Salt version, this could have "saved" the model (from getting disco´ed) due to then perhaps better sales.

- For one there is that "people are bored of black handles and VG10" - thing (for the record: I am NOT) and the RJ never came in any other versions people might have waited for.

- But more importantly: For it´s originally intended main purpose (at least one main purpose) as a climbing knife (where a wharnie really makes a lot of sense) lighter weight (linerless!) and a brightly colored handle (the Salt yellow or green) would have been a lot more appealing to mountaineers and climbers.
I am one myself and know many others, and it is just kind of a habit to look for really light weight and high viz colors in that scene when it comes to gear, at least where I live.

A linerless RockJumper Salt should have pretty much the same light weight as a Delica (going by the percentage of "weight loss" from for example the "linerless Endura" LC 200 Pac Salt compared to the linered Endura) - and if ideally it would also have the longer blade the handle could house this would have been pretty much certainly my go to climbing knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Good points, G. You may well be right.
Blaine in the Rock

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:47 pm
I´d go so far as to speculate that if the RockJumper had come out first in a linerless Salt version, this could have "saved" the model (from getting disco´ed) due to then perhaps better sales.

- For one there is that "people are bored of black handles and VG10" - thing (for the record: I am NOT) and the RJ never came in any other versions people might have waited for.

- But more importantly: For it´s originally intended main purpose (at least one main purpose) as a climbing knife (where a wharnie really makes a lot of sense) lighter weight (linerless!) and a brightly colored handle (the Salt yellow or green) would have been a lot more appealing to mountaineers and climbers.
I am one myself and know many others, and it is just kind of a habit to look for really light weight and high viz colors in that scene when it comes to gear, at least where I live.

A linerless RockJumper Salt should have pretty much the same light weight as a Delica (going by the percentage of "weight loss" from for example the "linerless Endura" LC 200 Pac Salt compared to the linered Endura) - and if ideally it would also have the longer blade the handle could house this would have been pretty much certainly my go to climbing knife.
Yes! Yes to all of this! :bug-red-white
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m inclined to agree with the “Salt Rockjumoer Theory” as well, which I’ve expressed several times in the past.

It is being discontinued, so I’m not sure it’s gonna happen.

Maybe a Sprint Run could test out the hypothesis that different materials would have been more popular, but I’m only looking at this from an enthusiast’s perspective with no risk on my end.

Golden’s expansion will be completed in due time, and it seems like we could get a handle forward backlock from them. In which case, I wouldn’t mind that getting the Salt treatment.
That’s a ways in the future, though.

While I prefer the straight edge, there is still the LeafJumper, which seems to be more popular. My K390 version is actually my favorite plain edge Spyderco.

I am just really interested in Handle Forward Salts.

Like I said, I have ideas for Sprint Runs and Salt Series variations that I think are good which I’ve previously posted in other threads.
Maybe I’ll link them later.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I like both the Tenacious and Resilience designs better than the Jumpers, so I'd rather see Salt variants of those. They are both what I consider handle-forward designs, at least as much so as the Jumpers. They would need to be linerless backlocks, IMO.

Has Spyderco ever turned a budget design into a mainstream model?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

No, but Sal once mentioned bringing the Polestar to Golden utilizing a back lock. Probably way back in the priorities at this point.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to agree with Gernot . I really like my Rock Jumper buy if it was a Salt model I would have PE and SE in a flash . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau