Seeking advice on a Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would you do?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:40 am

Buy the current LW in transluscent blue and deal with BD1N and the frictiony action
24%
Buy the current LW in SPY27 with an eye toward changing LW handles later
6%
Buy a current G10 version with an eye toward changing scales later
65%
Other
6%

Total votes: 17

Smaug

Seeking advice on a Manix 2

Post by Smaug »

History: I had a Manix 2 Lightweight before, in the translucent blue. I liked it, but I found the action a bit "frictiony." Since it was riveted together, I could only make a slight difference, by loosening the blade pivot screw a bit.

I would like to add another :bug-red-white Manix 2 LW, but I have the following issues:
  1. I would really like it in the translucent blue, but I would also like a bit better steel than BD1N.
  2. I would like it to have a smoother action, similar to that of an Axis lock.
I see the latest Manix 2 LW in SPY27 has screwed-together construction, so I could theoretically switch the handles at a later date, if someone has drilled out rivets from their trans. blue one. I'm sure that's frowned-upon, but I want what I want!

If I go a different route, do the G10 Manix 2s have a smoother action? Maybe get the blurple one instead of the LW?

What the solution of least resistance?

What would YOU do if you had my wants?
-Jeremy
Ramonade

Re: Seeking advice on a Manix 2

Post by Ramonade »

I'd say find the one in the steel you prefer and buy this one ! But if you are really searching for the smoothest action, my experience is that the G10 version is the best for it.

I had 2 LWs and 2 G10 and there's no contest, both G10 were easier to tune and were extremely smooth.
Certainly due to the liners making it more rigid, more parallel.

I have to say that I did not handle a screw construction Manix 2 LW yet, so maybe playing with the 4 screws near the BBL would totally change the experience.

If you intend to buy AWT scales it will be like changing the whole knife anyways, so choosing the steel that interests you the most might be the best plan of action :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The G10 models have better action in my experience. If that's what you're after, that's probably the way to go. I don't know if any aftermarket scale sets are compatible with the lightweight manix, I've only seen them for the G10 version.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Regards "frictiony," were you experiencing this friction even when you pulled the thumb stud all the way to the rear, so the blade was completely free to swing? You likely know this already, but if you aren't holding the thumb stud all the way to the rear, the spring is pushing on the ball, and the ball is pushing against the blade, creating intentional friction. Fans of backlocks and self-closing-bias appreciate this friction, but fans of flipper knives typically don't. I'm mentioning this just to eliminate one variable...there will typically be some friction/resistance with a Manix, given its construction.

Regards turning a riveted Manix into a screw construction Manix, a number of people have done that successfully. I think there are step by step instructions at BF (not sure). The issue there is drilling out the rivets without spinning them, which can in turn melt the FRCP around the rivet. But it's doable and many successful examples exist of the conversion.

I have not noticed a difference in smooth action between LW and G10 Manixes, but that's just one person's experience.

If I were in your position I'd probably buy a second of the same LW and see if I liked it better. I think there is also a 20CV translucent aqua LW Manix that shows up for sale occasionally.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

g10 is smoother, so you should probably go with that one.

if you really want trans blue lw with a different steel, you'll probably have to buy two knives with screws and switch the blades out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

G10 is the smoother and more refined option with more options to customize later on.
Put some custom scales on a g10 and you are set for life.
Smaug

Thanks all!

Post by Smaug »

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

Seems like the right course is to get a G10 one and give up on the trans. blue scales. I have plenty of LW Spydies already anyhow. (Native, Delica, Leaf Jumper, Dragonfly)
-Jeremy
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Now, I'm thinking one of the things I liked about carrying the Manix 2 before was how light it was. Yes, it was wide and longer than I need a lot of the time, but since it was so light, it rode along in my back pocket forgotten until needed.

I'm wondering if it weighs twice as much (as the G10 models do) will I even carry it any more, or would I just default back to my Griptilian with the Spydiehole?

I'm leaning back toward the Lightweight model now and just have other knives for the nice flippy action.
-Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have 3 LW models at least 4 G10 models. The action on the G10 models might be a little smoother but not by much. The LW Manix 2s I have are surprisingly smooth

As much as I appreciate the tank-like G10 models the LWs get carried much more often, especially in the warm months when I wearing shorts daily
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
apollo

Post by apollo »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:27 pm
Now, I'm thinking one of the things I liked about carrying the Manix 2 before was how light it was. Yes, it was wide and longer than I need a lot of the time, but since it was so light, it rode along in my back pocket forgotten until needed.

I'm wondering if it weighs twice as much (as the G10 models do) will I even carry it any more, or would I just default back to my Griptilian with the Spydiehole?

I'm leaning back toward the Lightweight model now and just have other knives for the nice flippy action.
When you have a g10 you will want to carry it because you love it and it will make that griptillian obsolete. Sure it ways a tiny bit more. But let’s be honest here what are a few grams for an fully grown adult ? Nothing! And by the way its not even that heavy! I carry and use a full size Original C95 Manix. And my summer shorts has never fell off once and that tank makes the Manix 2 g10 feel like a feather and honestly i do not even feel that one in my pocket.

By the way look at what you can do with the g10 if you want to.
vivi

Post by vivi »

What's wrong with BD1N for your uses?
:unicorn
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I would get the G-10 S30V option. I haven’t used BDN1 and I’m sure it’s fine, but I dislike the LW handles on this knife. And the G-10 version is moddable, has lots of scales you can buy. For the extra $20 I think it’s “the” Manix 2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

You should go with another translucent blue LW of course if that's what you want.

On average the G10 versions might have smoother action, but two of the three Manix LW (FRCP handles) I own(ed) had/have perfectly smooth "frictionfree" action (something I personally don't even look for).
Also there are folks who have both a G10 and an LW and find the latter to be smoother.

Just make sure you do get a "smooth" translucent blue by asking the dealer to check for that or if possible try for yourself in a store.

Also, ALL Manix 2 LW versions switched to screw construction.

I have extended experience with the Manix 2 LW but could only handle the G10.
Still: The latter is no match for the LW for me personally (ymmv of course) Heavy and less comfortable in hand.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:07 pm
You should go with another translucent blue LW of course if that's what you want.

On average the G10 versions might have smoother action, but two of the three Manix LW (FRCP handles) I own(ed) had/have perfectly smooth "frictionfree" action (something I personally don't even look for).
Also there are folks who have both a G10 and an LW and find the latter to be smoother.

Just make sure you do get a "smooth" translucent blue by asking the dealer to check for that or if possible try for yourself in a store.

Also, ALL Manix 2 LW versions switched to screw construction.

I have extended experience with the Manix 2 LW but could only handle the G10.
Still: The latter is no match for the LW for me personally (ymmv of course) Heavy and less comfortable in hand.
You seem to be a lucky guy. All 4 of my LW are not smooth at all. And 2 of those see heavy use/abuse at my work for years and still open and shut like a well ... let us say i can not name it in away worthy of spyderco.
(and by the way all get regurlar cleaning and oiling) :neutral my normal black bd1n is the worst off all then with my translusent blue. Both are worse then any of my chinese spyderco's.

While all of my g10 manixes 2's and XL's drop shut smoothly even my oldest and heavely used ones.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and on BD1N: Said it several times already, for me a very good steel, especially concerning how extremely easy it is to sharpen for the actually imo decent edge retention.

... and again: Don't generalize what you had on one particular piece of a model to ALL!
If supersmooth, completely free falling action is what you want: You definitely can have that on a Manix 2 LW. There seems to be just quite some variety concerning action out of the factory on that particular model.
And now you can take apart ALL versions od the LW.

Don't get me wrong, the G10 Manix definitely is a cool knife. But imo the LW really shows the "art of knife design". I think it is easier to make a "standard" heavy G10 folder with liners than a light, but still solid and sturdy knife like the LW, that can handle any folder task, but is a better carry in let's say light short pockets and to me better and smoother feeling in hand (no exzessive jimping, completely closed back, slightly rounded handle edges).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:07 pm
You seem to be a lucky guy. All 4 of my LW are not smooth at all. And 2 of those see heavy use/abuse at my work for years and still open and shut like a well ... let us say i can not name it in away worthy of spyderco.
(and by the way all get regurlar cleaning and oiling) :neutral my normal black bd1n is the worst off all then with my translusent blue. Both are worse then any of my chinese spyderco's.

While all of my g10 manixes 2's and XL's drop shut smoothly even my oldest and heavely used ones.

Interesting!

As said: Two of my three LWs (a BD1 and my REX45) came as "smooth" as possible right from the factory.
Completely free dropping (again: I don't even need or want that, NOT a plus in my book necessarily !) while still having zero blade play.

Also, on the few vids I watched about the LW this looked to be the same (perfect action).

So it should be no problem to get a "supersmooth" Manix LW if asking the dealer to check for just that?

Also, now one CAN take apart any LW and tune it.

But I am sure that ON AVERAGE the G10 model will have better action, just by construction!
engine

Post by engine »

My Manix2LW (BD1N, screwed-together construction) have very nice action, maybe you just need a little tweaking.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have zero issues with the action on my lw. it won't drop the same as my g10 models, but it's not bad at all. i think it's just a consequence of the design, but it's not necessarily a bad thing; just different.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I only have the first run of the Blue Lwt pinned pivot and it is as smooth as my G10 models . I like the lightweight models unfortunately missed some exclusives so my Manix collection is rather lopsided . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

I have three Manix 2's at the moment, two are G-10 and one LW version (S110V), had another LW that I gifted away. One of the G-10's is an old Hollow grind 154CM. In my collection that knife is on another level, don't know if you could make a knife any slicker?

The only other knife I have that's close is my old plain Jane S30V Yojimbo, it's slick but not quite as slick as the 154CM Manix. Something to be said for those big heavy Hollow grind blades!