New to Spyderco and have a Para 3, just had it open and bite me while in pocket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ajvc23

New to Spyderco and have a Para 3, just had it open and bite me while in pocket

Post by Ajvc23 »

I am new to Spyderco and I got the Para 3 for a user and pocket carrier. I love it and my first week was flawless. However three days ago it opened in my pocket and got my middle finger, butterfly and bandaid was all I needed and was a clean cut. I have been trying to figure out how it happened and the only thing I can think of is I had my keys in the same pocket and with the open back design it may have pushed the blade out a little bit. I’m also sure that it was on me as well, I went to retrieve the knife and felt some resistance so I put my hand in deeper to get a better grip and that’s when it caught me(should have known something was off and not put my hand in). I love this knife and want to try and prevent it from happening again. Would a back spacer possibly prevent this? Not keeping keys in the same pocket as well.
Guts

Re: New to Spyderco and have a Para 3, just had it open and bite me while in pocket

Post by Guts »

Sorry that happened to you. Keys+thumb hole opener in the same pocket is a no go for sure if you can avoid it. Did you have it tip up or down carry? I carry tip up right hand side pocket, but with the knife always pushed all the way to the right side of my pocket, so that way the spine of the blade is wedged against the edge of my pocket. I imagine that helps prevent any mishaps as thankfully I've never experienced the blade opening in my pocket with a Spyderco. Occasionally I'll "pinch" the knife front to back from outisde my pocket just to make sure it's closed, but if I reach into the pocket with my knife in it, I guess I also subconsciously push the knife into the side of my pocket just in case before sticking my hand in. So just curious which position/configuration you had it in for that to happen. Definitely some things to think about being new to Spyderco and (presumably) the thumb hole opener.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Re: New to Spyderco and have a Para 3, just had it open and bite me while in pocket

Post by Sharp Guy »

Far right side of the right pocket for me too. Only other thing in that pocket is a Manbug or Jester in the bottom. I've never had one open on me thankfully

Hope you're ok
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

That sucks. I don't know what would cause it since I've never had it happen with my Para3. If you're not using the pocket clip, doing that will probably help more than a back spacer.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I also carry mine tip up, with the blade spine against the furthest edge of my RF pocket.

Personally, I do not carry my keys, or coins, etc., in the same pocket as my knife. At the very least, if the knife is open-backed, those other objects can work their way in and ding up the edge of the closed blade.

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’ve had my Spydiechef open twice in my pocket. Both times it just nicked me, so just a couple drops of blood, but after that second time it’s pretty much been relegated from pocket duty to dedicated food knife for my food prep kits when I travel or camp.
To its defense I’ll add that both times were with the same pants, ones that had mesh lining in the pockets. Certainly something to avoid in combination with a light detent.
Ajvc23

Post by Ajvc23 »

Guts wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:51 pm
Sorry that happened to you. Keys+thumb hole opener in the same pocket is a no go for sure if you can avoid it. Did you have it tip up or down carry? I carry tip up right hand side pocket, but with the knife always pushed all the way to the right side of my pocket, so that way the spine of the blade is wedged against the edge of my pocket. I imagine that helps prevent any mishaps as thankfully I've never experienced the blade opening in my pocket with a Spyderco. Occasionally I'll "pinch" the knife front to back from outisde my pocket just to make sure it's closed, but if I reach into the pocket with my knife in it, I guess I also subconsciously push the knife into the side of my pocket just in case before sticking my hand in. So just curious which position/configuration you had it in for that to happen. Definitely some things to think about being new to Spyderco and (presumably) the thumb hole opener.
Have it in the tip up right pocket and all the way to the right side, I had athletic shorts on as well which I think allows more movement in the pocket. I have started doing that same pinch from the outside too and feeling that it’s closed. My only knife that has the hole in but my keys were to the other side of the knife that’s why I was thinking maybe it pushed the blade out somehow
cjk

Post by cjk »

Welcome!
A G-10 Para 3 with the original pocket clip fits in the 5th pocket in a typical pair of jeans. If you use a deep carry clip or have a Para 3 lightweight, it will bottom out in the fifth pocket. If you use the factory clip, it will fit perfectly (or at least it does on my various pairs of jeans). The fifth pocket is small enough that nothing else will fit and there's not enough room for the knife to open.

Carrying tip down instead of tip up allows gravity to assist in keeping the knife closed. If you stick your hand in that pocket, your hand will touch the spine of the blade, thus putting some pressure on it and potentially closing it if it had opened any at all. All the "cool knife bros" might think you're a bit weird for carrying tip down, but the cool kids aren't always the smart kids.

If you were carrying it loose in the pocket, ie, not using the clip, I wouldn't do that with any knife that uses a detent ball system to keep it closed. They're way too easy to open. The only way I do this is if I've put it in a slip, then put the slip in my pocket. If you want to carry a knife loose in your pocket, a back lock is a better solution IMHO. I'd suggest getting a Native 5 instead.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I do hope that the original poster returns to let us know how he carried his Para 3 in his pocket when it opened. I carried a PM2 RFP, tip up, against the right pocket seam, for several years at work, every single day. My work involved plenty of crawling, kneeling, and awkward positions. It was very secure in that orientation and never once cut me. Knowing his pocket geometry would be helpful for proposing solutions.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Guts wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:51 pm
pushing the spine against the seam certainly makes tip up safer than it otherwise would have been, but it’s not obvious to me that this makes it safer than tip down. In fact I’ve been pretty convinced tip down is somewhat safer on average because as you reach into your pocket to grab the knife your hand will just slide against the spine applying a closing force if it already was slightly open. If a tip up knife moves out of position and somehow overcomes the detent, your hand can get trapped between the handle and the tip/edge and any force you apply until you realize there’s an issue will push your hand further into the tip/edge and make the blade open further to reveal more edge.

Now, this is all hypothetical and not based on science or personal experience, and other scenarios could turn the safety equation on its head. Like I can imagine sitting down or doing acrobatic movements with a partially open tip down knife in pocket could potentially be less safe than with a tip up knife.

I think there’s too many unknowns to be categorical about the safety of carry orientation, but I do prefer- and almost exclusively carry tip down for IWB as there isn’t a pocket seem to push the knife spine against. And always a lock with self closing bias for IWB, something I prefer most of the time anyways and especially in the backcountry where any injury could turn into a critical situation.
Ajvc23

Post by Ajvc23 »

Sorry this is my first post so not sure the best way to reply. I carry tip up right front pocket all the way to the right. I did put a deep carry clip on it from Lynch, I thought the original sat high. I was wearing athletic shorts, only time I wore that pair with the para 3. Had keys right next to the knife on the other side of the pocket which is why o thought maybe something went though the open back. I had taken my keys out before this happened and when I put my hand in and got the bite it was just the knife in that pocket.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

I had this happen once on my p3lw.

Never figured out what happened. I think I sat on it funny. Got a pretty good cut from it. Never happened on a PM2 though.

Back lock has grown on me a lot to be tied for my favorite lock (tied with comp overall). The close bias on backlock is very nice. Also its ambidextrous operation.

Anyways, pay mind to your pocket and movement conditions prior to it opening and report back
Ajvc23

Post by Ajvc23 »

Sorry I’m new and thought I had posted a couple replies but I guess not the right way.

I was carrying right pocket, tip up, all the way to the right. I was using a Lynch deep carry clip. Also was wearing athletic shorts, the first time I wore those specific pair with the para 3. I had keys in that pocket earlier that would have been sitting at the back of the knife. And I had taken them out before this happened.
Matus

Post by Matus »

If one were to go on a search of possible weaknesses of the spydiehole, than keys accidentally partially opening the knife would be one of the very few. Long time ago I, for a rather brief period used to carry Ladybug on my key. And after a similar experience I stopped. I learned that only a fool needs everything to be foolproof and learned my lesson and adjusted accordingly.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Make Knives Unfidgety Again.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Guts

Post by Guts »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:50 pm

I think there’s too many unknowns to be categorical about the safety of carry orientation, but I do prefer- and almost exclusively carry tip down for IWB as there isn’t a pocket seem to push the knife spine against. And always a lock with self closing bias for IWB, something I prefer most of the time anyways and especially in the backcountry where any injury could turn into a critical situation.
Well my explanation was just for pocket carry, not IWB. Don't generally carry a knife IWB if at all.

If a tip up knife moves out of position and somehow overcomes the detent, your hand can get trapped between the handle and the tip/edge and any force you apply until you realize there’s an issue will push your hand further into the tip/edge and make the blade open further to reveal more edge.
This part I disagree with since the method I described of how I carry my knife will accomplish the same thing you described as a benefit of tip down, that being pushing the blade closed when I insert my hand into my pocket. I'd have to intentionally slip a finger (since that's all that would fit) into the gap between my pocket and the handle for what you describe to happen.
Last edited by Guts on Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Get in the habit of squeezing your pocket before reaching in there. You have to really practice and condition yourself but if you dedicate a few minutes a few times a day for a few weeks youll get there. Its what I do. No matter how you store your knife unless its in a dedicated knife pocket (think 511 pants) you have to accept that even the best of knives can sometimes open in your poicket, whether its because you bump something or something gets caught in the spydie hole or whatever. best, safest practice to 100% ensure this never happens to you again is to start squeezing your pocket

edit: by "squeezing your pocket" I mean where the knife actually is. you want to feel the frame with one finger, and the back of the blade with the other. If you know what I mean.

edit 2: If you dont mind belt pouches, Im sure you can find a decent leather or even kydex holster for your knife somewhere. that would probably be your best bet. You might even find a holster made for this exact reason
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Right off the bat I found this on amazon from searching "Spyderco Holster". Its very nice.
71wT6lvsVKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Guts wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:18 pm
Don't generally carry a knife IWB if at all.
Me neither, but what I generally do tend to do, is ramble on until my point get lost :D

It wasn’t my intention to dilute the discussion by broadening the scope to also include IWB, but rather a way to highlight how I think tip down might be intrinsically safer than tip up (also in pocket), in that it doesn’t rely on external measures, i.e. being pushed up against a pocket seem and stay there to achieve similar level of safety as tip up.

Anyways, the most important thing to take away from my post is that this is all very hypothetical speculation and real world difference may be negligible, non existent or even go in the opposite direction of what I assume. Just making conversation and floating ideas ;)
Guts

Post by Guts »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Guts wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:18 pm
Don't generally carry a knife IWB if at all.
Me neither, but what I generally do tend to do, is ramble on until my point get lost :D

It wasn’t my intention to dilute the discussion by broadening the scope to also include IWB, but rather a way to highlight how I think tip down might be intrinsically safer than tip up (also in pocket), in that it doesn’t rely on external measures, i.e. being pushed up against a pocket seem and stay there to achieve similar level of safety as tip up.

Anyways, the most important thing to take away from my post is that this is all very hypothetical speculation and real world difference may be negligible, non existent or even go in the opposite direction of what I assume. Just making conversation and floating ideas ;)

Fair enough. I can't say for certain one is inherently more dangerous than the other when done with certain considerations in mind, and also based on my personal experience carrying both ways over the years. I also don't believe tip up necessarily relies on external measures to be safe, but pushing the knife against the seam of my pocket is just something I personally do intentionally to be safe. Any knife is only as safe as the user is right? Although I imagine most people probably won't think about that stuff as much as fellows like us. I wonder if any studies have been done on the subject.

I find that people generally grab knives out of their pockets way differently than each other and that colors their opinions on tip up/down, so that's something else to think about when the tip up/down debate rears its head every now and then.