Warranties, Forum Etiquette, and a Thank You

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blaine in the Rock

Warranties, Forum Etiquette, and a Thank You

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

Hello from Castle Rock! Loving all this rain but the near daily hail is getting old.

Let me begin with the thank you. A few weeks ago, my nephew gave me a P3 LW SPY27 for my 49th birthday. My first Spyderco. I've wanted one as long as I could remember but just couldn't swing a Golden, and being here in the 'Do, I really wanted a local Spydie as my first. Anyway, I love the knife more than any other inanimate object I own. It brings me so much joy to look at and to use. I just gotta say thank you to Sal and Eric and everyone at Spyderco who made this knife possible.

Upon learning Spyderco's warranty policy I was surprised. I sort of figured if anyone would encourage owners to take apart, clean, and maintain their product, it would be a company like Spyderco. But after watching weeks of youtube videos with owners taking apart their knives with the wrong tools, the wrong size torx bits, bending, prying and doing who knows what, I am understanding the policies and where they came from. I swapped mine into AWT scales without any issues, but man, some people out there are really making it tough on themselves. Then at the end of the vid they are talking about returning the knife. And these are just the ones making videos. So yeah, I get how this could be a big problem.

I used to be on a lot of forums back in the day. The first was the Colorado Sportbike Club almost 20 years ago. We argued over trivial things, shouted newbs down at times, and had a lot of fun. So I get that, but this stuff is different. I saw a member get shouted down while asking if his knife was fake, mostly because the other guy didn't think the knife was popular enough to fake. I see one guy getting beat up by another because he likes "flipping" his knife open. The other guy, who speaks for the whole forum apparently, basically said to grow up! No place for that kind of talk here! On the knife forum...

Now I am not a fidgeter, but the night I got my Para I learned to thumb flick it, reverse flick it, and Spydie drop it. After that I learned them all lefty. Then I saw a vid where a guy opened it with his index finger from the front side, so I learned that one. Hurts my finger, but that's not the point. Whether it's Tiger bouncing a golf ball on his wedge, someone spinning a basketball on their finger, or a motorcyclist doing a wheelie, there are skills that when one is deeply involved in a hobby they might want to learn to execute. It shows a certain mastery of their craft. Or a lot of time on one's hands. But it definitely shows a love for something when you want to push past the ordinary and enjoy the thing in a different way. They may be completely unnecessary for each hobby, but they are fun, and that is enough. Not everyone desires to learn these tricks. But I'd like to know how many who hate the flicking can actually do it themselves. If you can, and still dislike it, that's one thing. But if you can't do it, then you are just a hater. Those who can do, those who cannot hate.

I look at my Para at least a dozen times a day. I've found the reverse flick to be a beautiful way to open the blade when you just want to look down and admire the beauty. I hold down the compression lock and snap it open when I am pulling it out to cut. Not something I thought about beforehand, it is just an easy, organic way to open the knife. I close it the same way.

One of the things that makes this company great is their willingness to try things other companies won't. But you still gotta have buyers. I don't think you old ******** out here buy enough to keep the company afloat. So you NEED new blood. That guy who flicks his blade open on youtube is helping to sell a lot of product. This allows the company to continue innovating and creating awesome shiz out of awesome steel. So be kind to the newbs. If someone new wants to buy every Spyderco they see that is a GOOD thing. Don't you think?

That is all. I apologize in advance if I ruffled any feathers. I didn't want to call anyone out specifically and I am sure you are all good dudes. I've been the old guy on the forum too, and I know how it feels when the place is changing. But change is good. This needs to be an awesome place for people to share in their love of Spyderco, ask questions without fear, and to boost up our entire community of Spyderbros. Thank you. :bug-red-white

P.S. I wish there was a smiley where the eyes are Spyders. That would be cool...
TazKristi

Re: Warranties, Forum Etiquette, and a Thank You

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Blaine:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
cjk

Post by cjk »

That was a really thoughtful first post. The only thing I'd quibble with is the statement that "change is good".
Change is change. Sometimes it's good, but sometimes it's not.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

cjk wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:15 am
That was a really thoughtful first post. The only thing I'd quibble with is the statement that "change is good".
That's exactly right. The change around here over these past 8 months has been noticeable, and likely coincides with a lot of the regular members that have frequented this forum on a daily basis for many years, disappearing left and right. I've been drowning in vomit lately with a few of these guys BLOWING UP the forum everyday with a bunch of threads that feel like amateur hour around here. I've never seen so much crap about flick this, flick that, drop shut this in my 6 years here. "I've bought 15 knives in 2 weeks and they are all awesome and my favorite and I recommend them all to the world!!" GTF outta here with that, you guys don't know anything about these knives yet, besides they are "flicky and drop shutty" so therefore they are amazing?? Stop it.

I can see myself exiting soon as well. Not worth the annoyance these days. Youtube has suddenly taken over our forum. The knowledge and experience is slowly trickling away...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Welcome, Blaine!

This forum is at its best when people with different opinions and ideas can discuss them in a respectful manner.

This place would get boring really fast if everyone agreed on everything.
:unicorn
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Welcome Blaine!
Nice 1st post. It's nice to see someone enjoying their 1st Spyderco. We should all support each other's experiences with respect even of we don't share the same preferences.
I for one am very grateful that Spyderco has such a wide range of offerings as my preferences have changed over the last 20 years.
I must admit though to sometimes buying a new knife just for the novelty and to challenge my already conceived norms. I have a lot of experience with pocket knives as I have carried one or another as part of my EDC since.~1978 but I'm fully aware that I don't know it all.
Anyway Blaine, welcome to the forum; I'm looking forward to more of your reflections :)

-CT
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Welcome to the forum! I hope you learn a lot as I have. Happy bday and congrats on the new knife. I have tried those AWT scales as well on a Yojimbo 2-- pretty cool stuff. As far as etiquette I think everyone should just follow the golden rule and we'd be good.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome to the forum and I agree with the others that was a really thoughtful first post. There seems to be more mud to dig through on the forum lately but it is still full of knowledge people who are willing to share their experience. Take care and welcome.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
James Y

Post by James Y »

Welcome to the forum.

One negative of constant flicking (besides often premature wear of the knife) is that I've personally seen guys doing it in places or under circumstances where it was inappropriate. And doing so can give non-knife people, who may be unfamiliar with knives and feel uncomfortable with someone openly flashing a "switchblade," a negative impression of knives, and a bad impression of those who carry them.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Once was in a gun shop, where I asked if I could examine one of the knives in the display case. The young employee behind the counter handed the knife in question to me; then when I handed it back, he began vigorously and repeatedly speed flicking it open and closed in different ways. There were other people in the shop who gave him the side-eye, because a couple of times it looked like he might lose control of the knife. I calmly said something like, "Whoa, careful there," Or something to that effect, and I indicated the other people to him. He noticed the attention and continued flicking and closing even more vigorously and said, "I don't give a (bleep) what anyone thinks. It's a legal knife. I'll do whatever the (bleep) I want with it. And if anyone has a problem with it, too (bleeping) bad." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

No sooner had he said that, than the knife goes flying out of his hand for several feet and lands on the floor. The people who were side-eyeing him furrowed their brows in annoyance, but said nothing. Luckily, the knife hadn't flown near to anybody. He quietly went to pick it up. Clearly, that young guy had deeper-seated issues than the need to obsessively flick knives open and closed.

That was an extreme example. My point is that some knife people are militant about it, which does no one any good, especially other knife people.

I'm not saying that knife afis who enjoy flicking their knives are all like that. I am saying that if you like flicking, there are certain times and places where flicking is appropriate and where it is inappropriate. And that flickability and drop-shutty, while it can be fun, is in itself not an indicator of a knife's quality.

BTW, I can flick my knives and do some of the "tricks" that are shown on YT. I used to do them years ago. I simply prefer not to anymore. If others enjoy it, that's great, as long as they aren't doing it around the wrong people. Because, like it or not, those other people do form impressions, positive or negative, and they do vote.

Jim
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:23 am
cjk wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:15 am
That's exactly right. The change around here over these past 8 months has been noticeable, and likely coincides with a lot of the regular members that have frequented this forum on a daily basis for many years, disappearing left and right. I've been drowning in vomit lately with a few of these guys BLOWING UP the forum everyday with a bunch of threads that feel like amateur hour around here. I've never seen so much crap about flick this, flick that, drop shut this in my 6 years here. "I've bought 15 knives in 2 weeks and they are all awesome and my favorite and I recommend them all to the world!!" GTF outta here with that, you guys don't know anything about these knives yet, besides they are "flicky and drop shutty" so therefore they are amazing?? Stop it.

I can see myself exiting soon as well. Not worth the annoyance these days. Youtube has suddenly taken over our forum. The knowledge and experience is slowly trickling away...
Wow. I guess you are so miserable that you forgot what it's like to be excited about stumbling into a huge new world and wanting to discuss it and learn and talk to others. You complain about the old experts going away maybe it's posts like yours and not ours that are driving them away. I'm gonna choose to stay positive do my own thing and carry on. Because while I may be the excited newbie today, ill be the knowledgeable expert tomorrow and I certainly won't whine when new people show up all excited. So sorry you had to endure the pain of reading my and other newbies posts and comments like someone held a gun to your head and forced you to

Btw the people you call annoying Spyderco calls "new loyal customers" and probably doesn't share your animosity towards us.

I feel bad for you. It must suck too be so miserable all the time. Bet you're fun at parties.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:clinking-mugs
:unicorn
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:26 pm
Wow. I guess you are so miserable that you forgot what it's like to be excited about stumbling into a huge new world and wanting to discuss it and learn and talk to others. You complain about the old experts going away maybe it's posts like yours and not ours that are driving them away. I'm gonna choose to stay positive do my own thing and carry on. Because while I may be the excited newbie today, ill be the knowledgeable expert tomorrow and I certainly won't whine when new people show up all excited. So sorry you had to endure the pain of reading my and other newbies posts and comments like someone held a gun to your head and forced you to

Btw the people you call annoying Spyderco calls "new loyal customers" and probably doesn't share your animosity towards us.

I feel bad for you. It must suck too be so miserable all the time. Bet you're fun at parties.
Well new guy, a few things here. I've spoken via PM with many of the regulars from time to time. It's not just me, I just happen to be more vocal. If I feel something, I feel I need to express it, especially if I know others do as well.

You mention learning, you know how you learn is to listen and do research. So much useful info already present within this forum if you search. I know a few of us have mentioned getting to know the knives you have before going on a wild spending spree...and you thanked us for the "sound advice"...and then proceed to blow this place up with 10 threads a day about 6 different knives, most of which the answers are already within forum. So yes, it is like a gun to our head when it's nonstop "new topics" filling up the "new threads"

I'm actually not miserable, my life is going pretty well lately. I also tend to have a blast at parties, Saturday lunch dates with my wife, cookouts with our neighbors. Actually have one going on Sunday, I guess I should post some photos!

Kristi - this one will not be escalated any further!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Welcome Blaine!

Got a little into the weeds there for me regarding the correlation between the ability to flick one's knife & being a "hater," but I'm in general agreement with a lot of the points raised. Old school has butted heads with new since the inception of humanity. There's a place in the knife market for both schools. As a very wise man likes to say.. "All good, just different."

With regard to "forum etiquette".. i think you'll find that intelligent conversation is always welcome here. Unfortunately, people sometimes conflate differing opinions with personal attacks.. side effect of the internet, i guess. On the plus side, the chance of being called childish names or curse words is really quite low here, which makes this place just about the best on the internet if you ask me hahah. :winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm pretty sure that a good number of people are focusing on what they do not agree with on a place that is public and made to share opinions, thoughts, that sort of things. I'm not gonna say some stuff isn't annoying to see, especially when we answer the same questions every months, with periods in which we answer them every week.

I'm not by any means an "old member" (lol) of this forum. However, lately I've surprised myself to type semi-angry messages that are pretty lengthy, to finally delete them and go on with my day. After such a thing occured a few times I decided to simply focus on the good stuff, the adorable people that are still present here :open-grin. As long as the buddies are here (and the occasionnal new member that is cool to speak to as well) I think I'm gonna keep having a good time overall.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Blaine in the Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:40 am
Hello from Castle Rock! Loving all this rain but the near daily hail is getting old.

Let me begin with the thank you. A few weeks ago, my nephew gave me a P3 LW SPY27 for my 49th birthday.

Happy belated birthday and welcome to the Spydie club. Good thing your knife is SPY27, because it's going to do just fine with all the rain you're getting. I had to Google on Castle Rock. The first result told me it's a fictional location in one of Steven King's stories. Spooky. The next search result informed me that it's actually a real place. Anyway... welcome. It's time for me to cook dinner and put my SPY27 Mule to use.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome. Enjoy your spyderco journey.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Welcome Blaine! Enjoy, and beware, the Spyderco rabbit hole is very deep. 🍻
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wow this new guy writes a somewhat interesting first post and a couple of you people start a flame war in it? That’s really odd.

I do think the forum isn’t moderated as tightly as most forums, so trolls wreak havoc for a few days sometimes. But if you can’t handle new people showing up it is probably best you leave.

OP highlights an interesting point. Spyderco is still quite relevant in the enthusiast world but the competition for new knife enthusiasts first buy is quite stiff. I bought a friend a $50 Civivi and honestly Spyderco doesn’t make anything that can touch it anywhere remotely near that price point.

And Spyderco has struggled for their flipper designs to take off. I don’t think there is any flipper design yet that turned into an “evergreen” slot in the lineup. I thought the Mantra might make it but the market did not seem to like it.