As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Post by Stas »

Just made me think when I have asked for a comparison photo of Stretch 2 in G10 and Stretch XL in Stretch XL G10 thread and a forum mate (Manixguy@1994) posted this:

The handle of current production (small) Stretch 2 is almost identical to XL and just carries shorter blade. While the original Stretch (1) size and proportion and new XL could be match made in heaven for the portfolio. Like PM3 and Para3.

Edit: updated to make the question more clear.
Last edited by Stas on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Bemo

Re: As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern?

Post by Bemo »

Wish you all would quit posting the Stretch XL pics. I've been telling myself the handle is too long and here you go telling me it's almost the same size as the Stretch 2....
Stas

Post by Stas »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 am
Wish you all would quit posting the Stretch XL pics. I've been telling myself the handle is too long and here you go telling me it's almost the same size as the Stretch 2....
You see where I’m coming from ;)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd like it in either blade type. the stretch blade shape always appealed to me, but it was never offered in a steel that made me want it more than other models in different steels. as soon as the stretch xl is in a salt steel, i'll be getting one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bemo wrote:
Sorry I left one out ! 😎 I would love to see the older blade design on the XL . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

stretch 1 handle on a xl blade? Xl handle is significantly tweaked as well as being longer, so are you asking for a longer version of the stretch 1 handle with similar features like the choil area to be on the xl?
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Stas

Post by Stas »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:23 am
stretch 1 handle on a xl blade? Xl handle is significantly tweaked as well as being longer, so are you asking for a longer version of the stretch 1 handle with similar features like the choil area to be on the xl?
My question is about future of a “regular” Stretch 2. Sorry if I was unclear. I wave to edit the OP.

XL model is perfect in all possible ways. I would love to see a regular Stretch 2 getting back closer to the proportions of the earlier model with smaller handle (on the photo in the middle)
kobold

Re: As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Post by kobold »

I am still curious which Magnacut Spyderco model will be the first to make me open my wallet. Ideally it would be a Sage 2, a GB1, a Military 1, or a Native/Native Chief with some nicer handle material. But a Stretch 1 could also do the trick.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
aicolainen

Re: As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Post by aicolainen »

Without having tried any of the Stretch models I can say that I’d probably buy both the XL and the Stretch 1 if it was still available. As it sits I’ll “only” be getting the SXL. I know it will be too big for my hand, but at least I get a lot of blade to make up for the excess handle.

So I do agree that the OP makes a good point. I wouldn’t hold my breath though.
Stas

Post by Stas »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:31 am
Without having tried any of the Stretch models I can say that I’d probably buy both the XL and the Stretch 1 if it was still available. As it sits I’ll “only” be getting the SXL. I know it will be too big for my hand, but at least I get a lot of blade to make up for the excess handle.

So I do agree that the OP makes a good point. I wouldn’t hold my breath though.
Right now I think like Stretch XL is the one to buy. Unless you have blade length restrictions and want a knife with smaller blade and big handle, like Stretch 2. I have medium hands size and my XL feels perfect.

Proportions and the size of original Stretch will make an instant purchase for many, who have and like XL model, but want something more compact for a change.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd be surprised if the original mold of the Stretch 1 is still viable for production.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Eagerly waiting for the Stretch3 :winking-tongue

Seriously though, the S2XL nailed it on the first try IMO. I agree that the standard model design deserves a revisit, I just think it will be a progression rather than a step back to the first model.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Stretch original/Stretch xl/Stretch xl lw/Stretch Hodgepodge Mashup…in Salt form? Yes please!!!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’m sure Gernot agrees with you, but sadly I do not.

As someone who deeply loved the Stretch 1, the Stretch 2 is an improvement on all counts for my XL hands. The deepe/wider choil is more comfortable and more useful, and the less-pronounced pinky hook is a boon. The extra size is also nice.

I’m carrying a Stretch 2 today. It’s fantastic.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bemo wrote:
You really don’t know you have 4” in your pocket until you whip it out. *snicker*

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

:rofl Reminds me of a line from a movie, think it was Blazing Saddles... that's as far as I'll go.
Stas

Post by Stas »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 pm
I’m sure Gernot agrees with you, but sadly I do not.

As someone who deeply loved the Stretch 1, the Stretch 2 is an improvement on all counts for my XL hands. The deepe/wider choil is more comfortable and more useful, and the less-pronounced pinky hook is a boon. The extra size is also nice.

I’m carrying a Stretch 2 today. It’s fantastic.
I don't think the Stretch 2 XL needs any promotion, but if it did, the slogan could be "Stretch 2 XL: Perfect for XL hands!" :)

On a serious note, I don't try to say the Stretch 1 is superior to the Stretch 2, I do understand the appeal of a larger handle.

Personally, I would love to see a knife with a similar blade-to-handle ratio as the Stretch 2 XL, but in a more compact size, which was the case with the Stretch 1, as far as I know. I trust that Spyderco would improve the ergonomics in any new knife they release, including a more comfortable choil and a less pronounced pinky hook.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Stas wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 am
Personally, I would love to see a knife with a similar blade-to-handle ratio as the Stretch 2 XL, but in a more compact size, which was the case with the Stretch 1, as far as I know. I trust that Spyderco would improve the ergonomics in any new knife they release, including a more comfortable choil and a less pronounced pinky hook.
Maybe we could get a StretchJumpmer?

electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I want a stretch 2XL LW in K390….
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

electro-static wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:46 pm
I want a stretch 2XL LW in K390….
I would buy this