Why no lightweight PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

Why no lightweight PM2?

Post by Jerome Howard »

I wonder why there hasn't been a lightweight FRN version of the PM2?

Too similar in size to the Endura?

I think either an Endura with a compression lock or an FRN PM2 would be something I would buy.
Mushroom

Re: Why no lightweight PM2?

Post by Mushroom »

Oh, probably because the PM2 is already the best knife Spyderco has ever made. Right?

;)
- Nick :bug-red
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:59 pm
Oh, probably because the PM2 is already the best knife Spyderco has ever made. Right?

;)
Well, there IS that. :winking-tongue
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

viewtopic.php?t=94105
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:36 am
This has been discussed a few times now. I think it’s been prototyped, but probably very far off still.

I think there is some hesitation around “getting it right the first time,” just like there was around the Military 2.

In the mean time, you might consider a Stretch LW, especially the K390 version. It’s the same size, has very similar ergonomics, a nice straight clip point blade, and is readily available.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:14 pm
viewtopic.php?t=94105
kennethsime wrote:
This has been discussed a few times now. I think it’s been prototyped, but probably very far off still.

I think there is some hesitation around “getting it right the first time,” just like there was around the Military 2.

In the mean time, you might consider a Stretch LW, especially the K390 version. It’s the same size, has very similar ergonomics, a nice straight clip point blade, and is readily available.
Could be, but I am not sure if that "getting it right" is really that hard in this case: After all they did a great job with the Para 3 LW as first linerless comp lock folder and should know everything they need to to transfer this in the basically just a bit longer, but otherwise pretty similar PM2?
Perhaps it's rather about current production capacity or something like that?

/ As for the Stretch LW: Great knife, I prefer it over the PM2, no doubt!
But it has pretty much the same weight as the PM2vand still liners, just FRN instead of G10.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:12 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:14 pm
viewtopic.php?t=94105
kennethsime wrote:

Could be, but I am not sure if that "getting it right" is really that hard in this case: After all they did a great job with the Para 3 LW as first linerless comp lock folder and should know everything they need to to transfer this in the basically just a bit longer, but otherwise pretty similar PM2?
Perhaps it's rather about current production capacity or something like that?

/ As for the Stretch LW: Great knife, I prefer it over the PM2, no doubt!
But it has pretty much the same weight as the PM2vand still liners, just FRN instead of G10.
I agree about Golden’s capacity. Several times Sal has stated that they are absolutely slammed. Good problem to have, considering the alternative.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I kinda hope they don't honestly. Seems like there has to be other more interesting stuff that could be made instead.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:23 am
I kinda hope they don't honestly. Seems like there has to be other more interesting stuff that could be made instead.

Regardless of how Interesting or not: From a business point of view I think they almost have to, right?
A PM 2 LW can't be anything else but a huge success imo.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Currently, a ParaMilitary2 Lightweight BD1N & FRN will cannibalize sales of the regular and highly profitable PM2 S45VN & G-10 with liners. However, the writing is on the wall.
Last edited by RamZar on Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:46 am
Currently, a ParaMilitary2 Lightweight BD1N & FRN will cannibalize sales of the regular and highly profitable PM2 S30V & G-10 with liners. However, the writing is on the wall.

Perfect combo for me, but make it LC or MC and the "cannibalization" will get even more severe... :grin-sweat
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:49 am
RamZar wrote:
Currently, a ParaMilitary2 Lightweight BD1N & FRN will cannibalize sales of the regular and highly profitable PM2 S45VN & G-10 with liners. However, the writing is on the wall.

Perfect combo for me, but make it LC or MC and the "cannibalization" will get even more severe... :grin-sweat

The current PM2 S45VN & G-10 has a street price of $185.50 so I think it’s a matter of when not if for a “budget” PM2.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
engine

Post by engine »

S45WN is fare better then BD1N?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

engine wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:39 am
S45VN is far better than BD1N?

They’re about the same in Toughness & Corrosion Resistance but S45VN is much better in Edge Retention.

mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:49 am
RamZar wrote:
Currently, a ParaMilitary2 Lightweight BD1N & FRN will cannibalize sales of the regular and highly profitable PM2 S30V & G-10 with liners. However, the writing is on the wall.

It would not surprise me to see an assortment of colors with deferent steels. There is always a blue with 110 steel along with other steels and color combo's.
I would imagine it to be like the Manix LW series. I would hope to see a translucent blue, I would want to get that one.
If Spyderco did that, it would sell like crazy. But hey, this may be wishful thinking. :thinking
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Dirk Funk

Post by Dirk Funk »

I am disappointed the PM2 Salt isn’t lightweight FRN. 3.4” Magnacut blade, compression lock and under 3oz? For my uses that’s the perfect knife. I suspect they chose not to go LW as that would make all other knives obsolete. Sales of other Spyderco models would drop to nothing and a significant number of competitor knife companies would go out of business. The final boss pocket knife.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

In my humble opinion, it all depends on the Para 3 lightweight sales results. Making a lightweight compression lock is a huge design challenge. The P3 lightweight is one of the best piece of engineering I've seen recently.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Dirk Funk wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:16 pm
I am disappointed the PM2 Salt isn’t lightweight FRN. 3.4” Magnacut blade, compression lock and under 3oz? For my uses that’s the perfect knife. I suspect they chose not to go LW as that would make all other knives obsolete. Sales of other Spyderco models would drop to nothing and a significant number of competitor knife companies would go out of business. The final boss pocket knife.
Let’s not forget that a substantial amount of folks prefer the heft and quality feel of g10/liners.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I assumed the feet dragging had to do with the expansion of Golden more than anything else. Not only will they need to fulfill the initial interest in the base model, but they will inevitably have a ton of requests by dealers for exclusives.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm hoping for a LW version in a variety of steel including a salt version. Would I get one? Perhaps. But the sales would fund all the other interesting ideas that Eric, Sal, and this form have had. I really do think the sales would be that robust.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

In the meantime, a Stretch XL Salt LW would be just the thing, in MagnaCut, of course. Do it in Seki, it’s a backlock like the linerless Pac Salt. Not made in Golden. Just a thought.