A trip to the SFO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
troutinCO

A trip to the SFO

Post by troutinCO »

Monday this week my coworkers and I took a trip to Golden. Specifically to go to the Spyderco Factory Outlet and then Bonfire Burritos.
One coworker was wanting to get a knife for mountain bumming around, climbing, lightweight backpacking etc. He is not much into knives, this would be his first serious purchase for one. He had wants, lightweight and around $100 to get into things and see if he likes it being the big ones. I mentioned we should go to a shop and just start looking and holding things.
He saw my Spyderco PM2 and so we got going on the Spyderco thing. Well next thing we made plans to go during a lunch break to Spyderco to go look around; I wont say no to a trip to the SFO.
So Monday, 3 of us loaded up and went to SFO. My other coworker that went along happens to know someone on the inside at Spyderco so I got to meet him while we were there too. Super cool!
Back to coworker looking for a knife:
We looked at Byrd knives, we then wandered to the Delica/Endura cabinets. I also had him put a LW Manix and PM2/3 in hand. He held all the sizes that he wanted in all the knives that interested him and kept going back to the Endura line. So there was then a debate between Full Flat or Saber grinds, Partial SE, Full SE, Plain only etc. After about an hour in the shop looking and holding things he decided to go with a Plain Edge, VG-10, Black FRN, Saber grind Endura. A solid choice I feel.
Today, I brought my torx bits and some blue loctite and we got it all buttoned up and the action just how he wanted it. He wanted to try it out with no clip on it so we took that off. Now he thinks he will need to get his girlfriend a Delica....
coworkers.jpg
I finally held a Leafjumper, I had held a Rockjumper before. (I wanted my coworker to try one out so I had the excuse as well) I want one, there was a thread for different steel which is what it will take to get me to buy one currently.
Dnwrghtsr

Re: A trip to the SFO

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I live in Ohio but I have been there twice. Looking forward to going again.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:31 pm
It is a curse and a blessing to be 15minutes away from the SFO.......
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

4,716 miles …. not so easy!

One day, one day….
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Well I travelled 7857.88 km's to get to Golden ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:48 pm
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
I can relate to that. Lol.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
z1r

Post by z1r »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:48 pm
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
My wife will verify that!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, I’m jealous. I’d really love the opportunity to handle a bunch of Spydies in person. No one locally carries a decent selection.

Glad your coworker found what he was looking for. The Endura is a classic for a reason.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I haven't gone by in a while. It was a good excuse to go so I didn't hesitate, plus some Bonfire Burritos as well.
The store was well stocked, I haven't seen the shelves that full in a while. So there was a lot of temptation...
But for me the thing was I got someone else hooked on Spyderco. I hear the click of the knife locking up across the hall every so often during the day now. :beaming-face