c36 military symbol question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cadenno

c36 military symbol question

Post by Cadenno »

Greetings.
I was lucky enough to find an ATS-34 military in excellent condition on an online auction site for a ridiculous price, and I couldn't stop myself from buying it.
(58 Swiss francs, which is currently about $60)...
Now knowing the steel and the fact that it already has the 3 bolt clip I presume it is a 1998-1999 model.

My question is about a mark on the blade, more precisely on the ricasso. This mark is evidently man-made, and not a scratch. Checking several photos online I couldn't find any military with a similar mark so I assumed it was made by some previous owner.
Since you are certainly more experienced than me, can you tell me more about this symbol, or if it is actually made by a previous owner?

Thank you very much and sorry if I made some spelling mistakes in English...

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: c36 military symbol question

Post by Doc Dan »

First, I'd say you got a real bargain. Second, that is not a factory mark and probably the identifying mark of the original owner that he or she inscribed on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice find!

That mark on the ricasso doesn't look like any Spyderco or knife-related marking that I'm familiar with. I second Dan's opinion.. my guess is that it was added by an owner at some point. Stylized "AJ?" Maybe "JF?" Hahah an infinity symbol?? I'm not sure..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Neat little engraving presumably done by a previous owner.

Nice touch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I haven't seen an ATS-34 version of the C-36 Military for sale or trade in over 8 years now. I had a guy over at BF offer me one in a trade back around 2013 and it was a plain edge. But he was unrealistic about what he wanted for it. I kind of regret not just going ahead with the trade even though it was a bit lop-sided.

That is such a great find. I really loved the full SE Military model in ATS-34 and 440V both. I still wish they would bring back the fully serrated Military model. And they could use 440V blade steel and it would be A-OK with me.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:53 pm
That is such a great find. I really loved the full SE Military model in ATS-34 and 440V both. I still wish they would bring back the fully serrated Military model. And they could use 440V blade steel and it would be A-OK with me.
Just found a 440V SE Military, used but under 200 bucks. Couldn't turn it down, there are so few SE knives made with higher end steels or from models like the Military. Also grabbed a Police 4 HAP40 because it was 30 bucks less and appears to be NIB.n (arizona custom knives, some pricey stuff but some hard to find/grail knives and the occasional lower than street price current run models).

My first thought was "oh, I have to mention this to Joe", haha.