Spydiechef and Swayback questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

Spydiechef and Swayback questions

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I’ve read a few reviews on the Swayback and I know some people have issues with the opening hole’s amount of clearance and the angle making it hard to open. A lot of other people have no issue with it at all. My questions are for those that have both knives.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Swayback for a bit and was wondering how the opening is compared to the Spydiechef. I’ve never handled the Swayback, but I have handled the Spydiechef and have no issue whatsoever with the hole placement or way the cutout is designed. So my question would be for anyone that has both, or has handled both, is the opening the same or similar?

Also, is the finish on the swayback similar to the finish in the Spydiechef? I find the Spydiechef stonewashed color to be beautiful and would be hoping the swayback is the same look.
Mushroom

Re: Spydiechef and Swayback questions

Post by Mushroom »

The opening hole on the Spydiechef is larger than on the Swayback. The Spydiechef also has sharper edges on the opening hole.

The Swayback blade is stonewashed and subsequently loses a little bit of that bite in the Spydiehole.

Personally, I have no issues accessing the opening hole on the Swayback but the Spydiechef is noticeably easier to access. I’m guessing largely in part to the size difference in opening hole.
- Nick :bug-red
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Thank you for your time and the photo. Looks like the angle and distance from the pivot to the hole is similar. So I would guess the opening movement would be similar. I have thin hands/fingers so I don’t see the smaller hole being an issue. That helps a lot. Thank you again.

The finish on the swayback looks a little lighter if it’s not just the lighting playing tricks. But the stonewashed pattern looks similar. That is good to know. I honestly didn’t realize the swayback scales were contoured so much until seeing this pic of it side by side with the Spydiechef. Looks great.

Thanks again.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Spydiechef opens much easier.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

The swayback is fine, it’s just super fine tuned. If you have any pressure on the lock bar it will be difficult to open. I have xxl sausage fingers and have no issues opening mine.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Thank you. I’m ok with fine tuned. I normally just adapt and use a knife how it needs to be used. I have a few others that are very sensitive with the lock bar being pressed. Good to know.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The hole might be harder to get to for some people on the Swayback. However, a different direction (like 90°) of the force to open is more than enough for the blade to fly in open position.
This is my most satisfying knife to open, and close !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

The swayback hole is a little smaller but I can still get my thumb nail inside and flick it open most of the time. I prefer to open it with a slow roll though. Also it cant be Spydie flicked because the the frame lock covers the hole on the back side. Not a problem, just mentioning it.

I have the Knifejoy exclusive blue Spydiechef (still available) so I cant really comment on the finish compared to the swayback. The Spydiechef flicks open a little easier for me and can be Spydie flicked as the frame lock only covers half the hole.

Both are really nice knives