Spyderco Chinese Chef Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurmuscle

Spyderco Chinese Chef Knife?

Post by Jurmuscle »

I spoke with Sal about the possibility of a Spyderco Chinese Chef Knife. He suggested I see what the forum thinks. Instead of posting everything again I just posted our conversation. I will attach a pic of mine so you have a reference.
-Thanks

"I will try make this quick to the point so you don't have to read a article.

I tried to email Spyderco but have not received reply. It's about what I think could be a big hit in culinary world. And even for at home users. A Spyderco Chinese Chef knife. In Chinese kitchens they only use 1 knife for everything. It looks like a cleaver but is thinner for cutting. Full tang. And for chopping bones they use a meat cleaver. Could possibly make that as well. But the knife could be big hit. Wusthof sells one for $300. I imagine yours would be better. I would be willing to send in my Japanese one if you want inspiration. I used to have many knifes and sold them all for this one. I love it." (Me)

"Hi Tom

Thanx for reaching out and thanx for the suggestion. See below

Suggestions like yours will pretty much have to come to Eric or me. There is no one else that can respond to your suggestion.

We have entertained the concept of making a Chinese slicing knife many times over the past decades. Bob Lum designed a very nice one,which I still have, but we've always tabled it due to a few things;

When I asked Peter Gerber many years ago why he discontinued his Chinese slicing knife, he said; "for the amount of steel used in the Chinese slicing knife, I can make a dozen folders". Which is valid point.

Another is the question of demand. Making the model would mean that some other model would have to be set aside to make space in the queue. Which would be a better solution?

I designed one using one of our regular kitchen knife injection molded handles, but I prefer a more traditional handle for this type of design. Unfortunately, this adds cost to production. The steels that Wusthof uses are much less expensive than anything we would use, which adds to the cost of manufacture.

I would suggest posting the question on the forum and I'll watch the conversation." (Sal)
Attachments
Compress_20220901_121522_2475.jpg
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
kennethsime

Re: Spyderco Chinese Chef Knife?

Post by kennethsime »

Oddly enough, the Chinese Chef's Knife was the first knife I learned how to use in the kitchen. My Dad lived in South East Asia for awhile, and two things he brought back with him were a Chinese Chef's Knife and a great stir-fry recipe.

I have one from Zwilling/Henckel's stamped line, and quite enjoy it. I don't use it as often as my 8" chef's knife these days, but that's mostly due to storage constraints - I have more convenient access to the 8" knife.

I'd love to see Spyderco's take in the Itamae line.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Great tools, but highly competitive market from carbon steel to Messermeister stainless. Grew up using carbon steel Chinese vegetable and Chinese meat cleavers. Got away from them when I got my Boye 8 and 10" Chefs and other Chefs knives because I figured I'd better use 'em because of the investment in expensive kitchen knives. Can't really say that my cooking taste any better or that my mise en place is notably any more precise. Every kitchen should have one. Just don't know if it would be Spyderco's thing. Early on, I couldn't see any reason to make the jump from my carbon steel Chinese vegetable knives to Santoku's that were all the rage especially since I was fiscally challenged at the time. :winking-tongue
Last edited by skeeg11 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

It's weird cause the one I have was made in Japan and was about $145. It's high carbon wood handle. And the Wusthof stainless is $300 lol.
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Masahiro makes a wide selection of high end Chinese Chef's knives that should fulfill anyone's requirements: https://jp-knives.com/brand/masahiro/ch ... efs-knife/ :releived

nb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

While I have no personal interest in one, I can see how it would help round out the culinary line.

On a related note, I think Spyderco should have a culinary brand with a different name. The casual buyer might be turned off by a kitchen knife that brings to mind the combination spiders and food. And, yes, I do understand the name has nothing to do with the arachnid, however it is a homophone to the little eight-legged creatures.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Martin Yan really rocked a couple of them. Dunno if anyone ever noticed, but the muscle definition in his forearms was really ripped.
Riknull

Post by Riknull »

Could a Chinese chefs knife slot into the ethnic series? What would be more fitting than a knife pattern used in millions, if not billions of kitchens worldwide?

I’d like one in carbon steel, please and thank you.
Austin, TX/ Detroit, MI
Dragonfly 2 Salt serrated (current EDC), Para3. Kershaw Leeks and Dividend Composite.
Iole

Post by Iole »

This post only connection to this subject is the Chinese Chef blade. I come from a restaurant family and the cleaver is a common kitchen tool. I had martial trainer made to duplicate the shape and size of a live blade. Use what you handle all the time.

Attachments
IMG_0893.jpg
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Spyderco could offer what is lacking, ergonomics. I would love a Spyderco Chinese chef but meeting certain criteria. Not too big, something like a vegetable prep knife that is like 3.5” blade height and 6.5” blade length with a comfortable curved transition from the blade to handle junction. An ergonomic vertical pinch grip at the balance point. I love using smaller Chinese chef knives for cooking. LC200N or Magnacut steels.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:34 pm
Spyderco could offer what is lacking, ergonomics. I would love a Spyderco Chinese chef but meeting certain criteria. Not too big, something like a vegetable prep knife that is like 3.5” blade height and 6.5” blade length with a comfortable curved transition from the blade to handle junction. An ergonomic vertical pinch grip at the balance point. I love using smaller Chinese chef knives for cooking. LC200N or Magnacut steels.
The one I have is:
8.6" blade
4.3" handle
3.58" height
0.08" spine width
HRC 62
Full tang

This is just the one I use and I love it. I'm open to Spydercos spin tho. Just was saying for comparison.

-Tom
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I think it would be great if Spyderco would be willing to use less expensive steel. If not, I doubt it would catch on with the average market. I think it needs to have an approachable price tag.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:35 pm
I think it would be great if Spyderco would be willing to use less expensive steel. If not, I doubt it would catch on with the average market. I think it needs to have an approachable price tag.
I was thinking this as well. Maybe a more affordable but culinary capable steel, and a middle ground for handle material. Or maybe even do the handle mule team style. Make a work horse first. And if it kicks off could do some sprints. Could you imagine a Cru-wear version. That would be a big hunk of Cru-wear lol.

-Tom
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I don’t think this a bad idea it has possibilities , if it can hurdle the price and demands to the consumers. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Perhaps BD1N@62HRC
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I made a couple Cai Dao's about two years ago (from a VG-10 core Damascus) and the one we kept at home is definitely a favorite in our kitchen.

I'd be curious where Spyderco would have to land on the price scale to make this happen. It seems to me that unless it was in the sub $100 range, the sales would be pretty limited. I'd personally buy one, though. :)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

We have local forges that sell these for less than $20, and indeed almost every household has one. Our family though prefers the Western chef's knife for slicing meat and veggies, so I don't see myself getting one even if it was produced.

It's a big world though, and there is probably a market for it somewhere.

I do agree that a knife with better ergos would be attractive to some users. I had custom micarta scales made for the meat cleaver on the right. The scales cost more than the original knife.
cleavers_01.jpg
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So what is the difference between this and Spyderco/Carter Nakiri? Is it taller? Thicker?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:21 pm
So what is the difference between this and Spyderco/Carter Nakiri? Is it taller? Thicker?
The Nakiri is a Japanese vegetable knife. It's a more specialized knife. Where as the Chinese chef knife is used for everything except cutting bones. It is taller. It is like a meat cleaver but thinner. For slicing.

-Tom