USA Made FRN Compression Button Lock Disposable Razor Blade Holder with Spydiehole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeadForests

USA Made FRN Compression Button Lock Disposable Razor Blade Holder with Spydiehole?

Post by DeadForests »

Am I crazy or does this sound good? Especially if it was able to be made for $50 or under. Imagine a disposable razor blade holder. The locking mechanism would be a compression button lock. Or perhaps just a compression lock.The handle is made of FRN with minimal steel construction, similar to the Para 3 LW. Making it ultra lightweight. Include a Spydiehole on the blade holder, making deployment a knife like experience.

Many people carry disposable razor blade holders that are essentially knife handles with flippers and such, Chavez makes one. This made me think of the thing that they would be lacking for me, a Spydiehole. I think this might be a good idea, but the USA made might be hard to pull off with how full their queue is at the moment.

Perhaps Spyderco should also include some sort of lock in the razor holder. With how some people flick their Spyderco, it could send the razorblades out like a projectile if not locked in place by some other mechanism.
VooDooChild

Re: USA Made FRN Compression Button Lock Disposable Razor Blade Holder with Spydiehole?

Post by VooDooChild »

Theres already button lock razor knives that are super cheap.

You are never going to beat that market unless you come in cheaper.

Also the ones Im thinking of have metal (aluminum) handles, and the average person buying these for a job site is going to think that will hold up better than frn.

These knives live in tool boxes, bags, get dropped all the time. Weight doesnt matter. Where its made doesnt matter for most. Its all about price.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
phaust

Re: USA Made FRN Compression Button Lock Disposable Razor Blade Holder with Spydiehole?

Post by phaust »

In case you missed it, there's a big thread on the idea of a Spyderco utility blade holder that Sal already chimed in on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89416

$50 is a hard ask for Chinese made from Spyderco though. USA made is going to be a lot higher.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

🤔
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

^(edit: voodoo child)^ He’s exactly right. A Chinese made version is the only thing that could compete.
It’s all about price point.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
DeadForests

Post by DeadForests »

phaust wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:15 pm
In case you missed it, there's a big thread on the idea of a Spyderco utility blade holder that Sal already chimed in on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89416

$50 is a hard ask for Chinese made from Spyderco though. USA made is going to be a lot higher.
Oh I haven't seen this thread, well I guess this topic has been covered a lot. I prefer the compression lock to the thread makers backlock. But besides that it's the same idea. Interesting idea he has for the disposable blade locking mechanism as well.

Looks like Sal says it's gotta be Chinese or they will lose money. I say, make it in the USA BABY ILL PAY MORE FOR IT BUT JUST MAKE IT GOOD :usflag :bug-red-white :usflag
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yes, but will you pay the $250,000 to $500,000 developement and tooling costs? They'd have to sell literal tons of them to break even.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

DeadForests wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Am I crazy or does this sound good?
Crazy is kinda harsh these days, maybe we should just submit Spyder Fever to the experts who put together The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) for review.