Pm2 lefty.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roverbrad

Pm2 lefty.

Post by Roverbrad »

Hey everyone. I am just wondering what the future holds for the left handed pm2? I neglected to buy one when they were available and now they are all gone. Will there be another run of these? Thanks.
sal

Re: Pm2 lefty.

Post by sal »

Hi Roverbrad,

Welcome to our forum.

We make them periodically as demand grows.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

As a lefty get one as soon as available in next run and you will be happy you made the decision. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mjc8bal

Post by Mjc8bal »

Is there a way to sign up so I can be notified when they are back in stock?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mjc8bal:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

An s45vn version was announced in the 2021 reveal and again in 2022. Since then it's been no word of when they might become available and by the sound of Sal's reply it doesn't sound like it will be any time soon.
Bummer.
I've been checking regularly for news on its arrival for almost a year and a half.
I'm sure it's because the right hand sprint versions sell so quickly it's not worth it at the moment as I think the last run took a couple of years to sell out completely. Not ideal for spyderco when some sprint runs of other knives sell out in under 5 minutes.
Also to be fair to Sal if I remember correctly he told us at the time he would get that one run done and not to expect more for a long time.
I guess I must have naively assumed that when the s45vn version was included in the 2021 reveal that ment it would be coming within the next 12 months or so.
I think the gap between the lefty military runs was 2011 to 2017 so all we can do is keep watching and waiting I guess.
However if it's still not on the horizon yet it could possibly be another year or two of waiting.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have both models in left hand and to be honest I have no idea how many runs have been made of the PM2 and the Military. My Military was the very first run years ago and the PM2 was found new in box by a Forum member last year . Any Spyderco dedicated left hand models are rare and main reason why I have so many lock backs and buy knives from another manufacturer. I don’t begrudge Spyderco , they have solid business decisions to make , I just try to be patient. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I would love to try a Lefty PM2 in S45VN.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Lefty compression locks aren’t as essential as Lefty liner locks imo.

Righty compression locks work better for me. But then, I do not need to be able to wack my knife blade in and out of the scales. The whole, keeping the fingers out of the blade path rigamarole is lost on me. I close them just about like I do a back lock: by triggering the lock with my thumb and catching the blade on my middle finger instead of my index finger as I would do with a back lock. It’s actually preferable to me.

I understand that people want that sweet, sweet clicky clacky action, though.

Liner locks are a lot less easy to use for us lefties without it being set up that way. I’d love to try some of those Chinese liner locks, but haven’t seen any Lefties. Yet.
Roverbrad

Post by Roverbrad »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the helpful information. I will keep my eyes peeled for an upcoming S45VN version at some point in the near (remaining optimistic) 🤗 future.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

What i would recommend and what I have done is get in touch with Steve at Bladeswelove.com and order a left handed pm2 ultra. He takes a normal pm2 and installs a button so it’s basically a button compression lock.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:31 pm
What i would recommend and what I have done is get in touch with Steve at Bladeswelove.com and order a left handed pm2 ultra. He takes a normal pm2 and installs a button so it’s basically a button compression lock.
I have spoke to him in the past , it is an interesting concept if and when ever available again . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageLefty PM2 in the wild . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I hereby declare to not buy a Righty PM2 in 2022 until Lefties come back in stock in protest for my lefty friends.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:46 pm
I hereby declare to not buy a Righty PM2 in 2022 until Lefties come back in stock in protest for my lefty friends.
Since I know you fairly well ….. very funny ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:57 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:46 pm
Since I know you fairly well ….. very funny ! Dan
:rofl Well let me know who I need to call. Remember, I'm the dufus who gave one of my good friends a PM2 not remembering he was a lefty. I still need to make that up. So, I am all for some restock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

FYI, I recently ordered a lefty PM2 and it is S30V. I’m assuming it’s new stock because it was sold out and then I purchased as soon as I got the email saying it was available again. I’m totally good with S30V, just wanted to mention this in case you’re set on S45.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:43 pm

We make them periodically as demand grows.

In another life I must have been a marketing expert.
Stick with me while I explain...

Consider Group 1, the left-handed fanboys who have been around for a while. These guys already have left-handed PM2's. Tool up to make more left-handed PM2's, and all you'll get from these guys is a yawn.

Group 2 is the left-handed newcomers. These guys are eager to throw down cash to experience the iconic left-handed compression lock. Group 2 is smaller than Group 1, so when you tool up to meet the demand, fewer knives will be sold over a given time period.

Now here's where the marketing genius comes into play...

Suppose the next left-handed PM2 is made with some kind of fancy steel? K390 would be great in the PM2, but it is well represented in other areas of the Spyderco lineup. Magnacut would be great, but it hasn't even hit the regular Spyderco's in the catalog. But Cruwear is loved by all, and it seems to be popular with the recent DLT knives. The only problem with the DLT's is that the lefties are left on the sidelines.

My point is, crank out a bunch of left-handed PM2's in Cruwear, and you'll have both the old-timers and newcomers alike throwing handfuls of cash in the direction of Golden.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Since I am left handed and not a marketing genius, I would buy any new steel left hand PM2 . Just because I already own one in CPMS30V , it’s a win any time a lefty version comes out . Regards , MG2
Henry David Thoreau