Manbug Leaf

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Manbug Leaf

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, it seems that Sal is planning a Manbug with a leaf blade. I, for one, am stoked about this. The Manbug fits my hand better than the Ladybug and is easier for me to manipulate. However, I like the pointier tip on the LB. This will solve my only wish about the Manbug. Who else is as excited as I am?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Re: Manbug Leaf

Post by Evil D »

I'm interested, pending how the shape turns out. The upsweep of the blade was my biggest dislike of the Manbug, aside from it being more bulky for keys but depending on how this develops I may pick one up. I've been very tempted by the wharnie version lately.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wonder if the shape of the edge is changed at all or if it is only the spine of the blade that’s adjusted to create a leaf shaped blade?

I’m interested to see it but personally I prefer the Ladybug over the Manbug, so I probably won’t be picking one up right away. (Whenever it comes to market)
- Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Based on the other leaf blades, I doubt it will resemble the current one. If it is like the other leaf blades it will give us a good point like the LB.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I was going to post this in the other thread, but I’m glad you started a dedicated one Doc. I’d love to see a scaled-down version of the Dfly blade, complete with the swedge, for this lil guy. Not sure if that’s what Sal was thinking, but given the whole discussion about the history and inter-connectedness of these Seki models, it seems appropriate to me that this Manbug version should look like its bigger sibling. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im sure I will get one. I really like the manbug on my keys or in a pocket as a small backup knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:58 am
I'm interested, pending how the shape turns out. The upsweep of the blade was my biggest dislike of the Manbug, aside from it being more bulky for keys but depending on how this develops I may pick one up. I've been very tempted by the wharnie version lately.
Agreed. After years of carrying a Manbug because it was easier to manipulate and hold with my XL hands, the Ladybug has proven to be a better secondary knife for those reasons (less bulky, better blade shape for my uses).

But if it turns out to have a DF2 blade shape like RadioactiveSpyder is thinking I'm in.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Serrated H1 leaf blade and a wireclip=yes.
Last edited by 40mm on Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Dragonfly or standard leaf I think it will be a winner.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:58 am
Don't hesitate on that Manbug Wharnie. I've had the blacked out one in my jeans 5th pocket for the last few weeks and I rarely reach for the bigger carry clipped below it in my RFP. It's a little laser.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'd like standard leaf, but wharnie would be good too. I mentioned it in another thread, but clip for sure, and of course, Salt eventually.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm curious to see how it shapes up. I recently got rid of my Manbug Wharncliffe because the whole thing was so tall when closed.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:42 pm
I'd like standard leaf, but wharnie would be good too. I mentioned it in another thread, but clip for sure, and of course, Salt eventually.
Adding a clip will require a new mold to be made, which Sal has mentioned numerous times is a very expensive undertaking (even just for one side). You’re most likely not going to see a clip…
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:28 pm
I'm curious to see how it shapes up. I recently got rid of my Manbug Wharncliffe because the whole thing was so tall when closed.

Hi StuntZombie,

It's just as tall when closed as the Wharncliffe. It's needed to handle the large hole and keep it easily accessible for one hand open. The spine is the same as the Wharncliffe. The Leaf has belly which the Wharncliffe lacks. I carried the Wharnciffe Manbug quite a bit and felt that a Leaf would give me the belly I want and still keep the point. Which I used this morning to take out a splinter.

We have a few clip deigns. We just haven't finalized any. They use the lanyard hole which means you lose the lanyard hole.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:17 pm
StuntZombie wrote:

Hi StuntZombie,

It's just as tall when closed as the Wharncliffe. It's needed to handle the large hole and keep it easily accessible for one hand open. The spine is the same as the Wharncliffe. The Leaf has belly which the Wharncliffe lacks. I carried the Wharnciffe Manbug quite a bit and felt that a Leaf would give me the belly I want and still keep the point. Which I used this morning to take out a splinter.

We have a few clip deigns. We just haven't finalized any. They use the lanyard hole which means you lose the lanyard hole.

sal
Definitely excited for the leaf blade. I don't care about the pocket clip but I can always take it off. Hopefully, we will see this before too long. I like carrying a MB in my pocket every day, I just want a splinter picker point.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It would be really nice if the clip was a seperate piece and backwards compatible with older manbugs, but if its not then its still all good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:17 pm
StuntZombie wrote:

Hi StuntZombie,

sal
I gotcha. I've always wondered how well the Manbug and Ladybug designs would work with slightly smaller opening holes. They don't tend to have very strong springs, so it might still be possible to easily open them one handed. But, I'm just a user, not a designer or engineer, so I don't know if a hole small enough to shorten the blade height would still be effective to use for opening. It might tend to screw up the opening geometry too.

A Manbug with a pocket clip does sound rather interesting though.Would be a flatter design compared to the spoon clips?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well....it sounds like the clip is possible, at the expense of the lanyard hole. That is a no brainer for me. I would love a clip, and never use a lanyard.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Will the MB clip retro-fit on the other models, I wonder?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Normally I'd say if it's a choice between a clip and a lanyard I'd take a clip. However on a knife that small I prefer a lanyard so I can get a better grip on it. And it easily fits in a pocket so no clip isn't a huge inconvenience. I'd probably give it a try though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal