Kahr Delica Reintroduction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Co Pilot

Kahr Delica Reintroduction

Post by Co Pilot »

Was hoping to see if there is any interest in bringing back this model. Not as a Kahr exclusive product but as a Spyderco model. I missed the chance to buy one (or more, probably), when they were available. Didn't see the advantages to this model then, do now. The short blade length, required in some areas of the country(the world?) and in Federal facilities, and just less "intimidating" to the non knife people, combined with a full size handle, didn't click with me then. It does now. I don't reside in a jurisdiction with such restrictions but can see the above mentioned advantage of not intimidating the masses. As well as the fact that I, and many people travel to Boston and Chicago, or might.
Not to mention the stoughter Wharncliffe blade offers the advantages of that blade shape with more tip strength then the regular Wharny Delica. And looks cool. Which is perhaps the most important reason to bring it back.
Buddafucco

Re: Kahr Delica Reintroduction

Post by Buddafucco »

There is the 5x5 Combat Solutions JanDelica's customized by the man himself. This is the recent Gray Man edition... https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... -jandelica.

But I agree, I like that blade shape.
•• Beau
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

That is way cool!!! Thanks for posting. Now, to find some money...
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wish Michael would use the wharncliffe Delica for these JanDelica's. I may have to make my own.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

$135 is steep…

Mr Janich said the Kahr model didn’t work well from a profit margin for Kahr. If the design isn’t Kahn’s, I would guess another company could commission a run from the factory??
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Check Knives Plus under Spyderco mods .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Thanks for the replies! Sorry if it wasn't clear, I was hoping to see a Spyderco factory standard production model. Because yes $135.00 is a little steep, lol.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Knives Plus one is below $100
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

With some careful work on a grinder or belt sander, you could make your own from a used Delica. There are plenty out there.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Thanks again for the replies. I would still like to see this model directly from Spydrco. No knock on knives plus or anyone else moding Delicas. Would prefer a factory version, no worries about any damage to heat treat, etc. that way. Plus hopefully could get the color options originally available that are not available on current Delicas
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Well, just ordered the 5x5 Combat Solutions variant. I have a 2.5 inch restriction, which is a little annoying. I just got a Dragonfly and I don't really like the ergonomics. It's not bad, I just prefer having all my fingers on the handle. My Urban is a little better in that department. I think I'm really going to like having a full-sized handle on a knife I don't have to worry about. I also prefer the full flat grind to the saber grind.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:12 pm
Well, just ordered the 5x5 Combat Solutions variant. I have a 2.5 inch restriction, which is a little annoying. I just got a Dragonfly and I don't really like the ergonomics. It's not bad, I just prefer having all my fingers on the handle. My Urban is a little better in that department. I think I'm really going to like having a full-sized handle on a knife I don't have to worry about. I also prefer the full flat grind to the saber grind.
Definitely prefer a full size handle for anything for anything beyond "light " duty cutting. Good lick with the 5x5 knife dude.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Good luck. Good luck. NOT good lick, lol.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I missed this earlier, but I'm glad I looked. I'm really liking the 5x5 lineup.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
FK

Post by FK »

I would be in for two,,,, if they were offered in something other than VG-10.

Regards,
FK
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I'm in for two as well. That should be enough to start production, right?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:09 pm
I would still like to see this model directly from Spydrco. No knock on knives plus or anyone else moding Delicas. Would prefer a factory version, no worries about any damage to heat treat, etc. that way. Plus hopefully could get the color options originally available that are not available on current Delicas
Yes, but if you actually wanted one that bad you would buy one or have someone spend all of 15 minutes grinding one down.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m a big fan of the Kahr Arms Delica. I really love the “Snubnose” blade shape! At 2.5” it is legal to carry in Boston, so I would often carry it at work snd even as an EDC around the city when I wasn’t at work. It was a top 5 knife for me for a while, and still probably top 10.

I understand Co Pilots desire for a factory version from Spyderco again. I’ve refrained from buying one of the modded versions because they’re done aftermarket. That’s not to say I don’t trust 5x5, because I do. I’ve had good experiences dealing with them. I have a Chicagojimbo that Michael Janich mods and sells through 5x5 and it’s very well done.
- Nick :bug-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I guess the question is does Kahr own the “design” rights or colors? If not Spyderco could reintroduce without the Kahr logo or maybe someone else will offer it factory like BHQ?