Why does spyderco use XHP for fancier knives rather than harder working knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Why does spyderco use XHP for fancier knives rather than harder working knives?

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

XHP has a great combination of edge retention and toughness, which I think lends a steel to harder work knives. Despite this, Spyderco seems to use it for dressier knives such as the Swayback, Domino, McBee and Chaparral, rather than harder working knives like the Manix, Endura, PM2, etc. Why is this? Would you like to see XHP in some more "serious use" folders? I know I would.
SG89

Re: Why does spyderco use XHP for fancier knives rather than harder working knives?

Post by SG89 »

There was an XHP Manix2 LW exclusive from KC and Cutlery Shoppe puts out Golden made XHP folders too like the Shaman and PM2 among others.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Fireman

Re: Why does spyderco use XHP for fancier knives rather than harder working knives?

Post by Fireman »

“I feel your pain”
Having the steel follow the function is important.
Why have a chopper in rex 121 or a butter knife in 3v etcetera.
Having a premium or unique steel in a high dollar knife makes sense as well to a collector.
Randal made knives is one of the exceptions to the rule.
In the future, all knives will be Magna Cut and will be just fine ;)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TBoneEsteban

Post by TBoneEsteban »

Ha - that is kind of a cool concept: Butter knives made from premium steels. CPM S110V butter knife!

(Sorry, straying off topic entirely...) :D
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

IIRC, there was talk of more extended use of this steel but there was a shortage available and Spydero and others (Cold Steel) moved on to other steels.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

The swayback and chaparral are “serious use” knives. They are both very thin behind the edge slicey beasts. If you have had them and thought they were too “fancy” to use, you are missing out.(the swayback is pricey but you can get it around 200 on the right deal)

That XHP Manix 2 LW is on my short list because I enjoy the steel. The Brown handles at a plus as well.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

100%. It is excellent steel and I would like to see it more in regular production popular knives. Not mad scramble Sprints and exclusives, that sell out in 3 minutes. That gets old.
metaphoricalsimile

FourStringFiend wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm
The swayback and chaparral are “serious use” knives. They are both very thin behind the edge slicey beasts. If you have had them and thought they were too “fancy” to use, you are missing out.(the swayback is pricey but you can get it around 200 on the right deal)

That XHP Manix 2 LW is on my short list because I enjoy the steel. The Brown handles at a plus as well.
I don't think they're too fancy to use. I would make other choices if I were carrying a knife while doing a house remodeling project though.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:47 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm
I don't think they're too fancy to use. I would make other choices if I were carrying a knife while doing a house remodeling project though.
I would agree with that. They don’t really fit into that use. Everyone’s need is different. I’m all fore more XHP in tough folders though.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Aside from the Manix2 LW in XHP there was also a G10 version, I have it and like it, but it honestly gets zero pocket time from me, between the all Manix2 models/steels I have 99% of my Manix2 pocket time goes to 4V, Rex45, and S90V.

In my experience XHP should be treated like a tool steel not a stainless steel. A wee dot of mineral oil spread out to make a very thin coating on your blade will do wonders, once I started doing that I've never seen a speck of dust on my XHP knives.

Cheers,

John
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:06 pm
There was an XHP Manix2 LW exclusive from KC and Cutlery Shoppe puts out Golden made XHP folders too like the Shaman and PM2 among others.
Was there an XHP Shaman? Man-O-Man if so I missed out on that one. :confused:

I still have to get a Shaman but have not had the cash when these Sprints come out. It's hard on a budget.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like XHP. When Cold Steel said they were moving away from it I bought 3 of their XHP models immediately.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Danke

Post by Danke »

I've had a Military in XHP for ten years.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:04 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:06 pm
Was there an XHP Shaman? Man-O-Man if so I missed out on that one. :confused:

I still have to get a Shaman but have not had the cash when these Sprints come out. It's hard on a budget.
2 of them. One was dlc and one was stonewashed. They were fairly recent as well. Sold out now.

The CS xhp native chief is still available though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
PyriteParachute

Post by PyriteParachute »

Have XHP on my Hundred Pacer. Got it recently, and the factory edge was a bit chippy. Will see if later edges get past overheated steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TboneEsteban, PyriteParachute,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Metaphoricalsimile,

We're always open to suggestions. what did you have i mind?

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:59 pm
XHP has a great combination of edge retention and toughness, which I think lends a steel to harder work knives. Despite this, Spyderco seems to use it for dressier knives such as the Swayback, Domino, McBee and Chaparral, rather than harder working knives like the Manix, Endura, PM2, etc. Why is this? Would you like to see XHP in some more "serious use" folders? I know I would.
I'd also like to see more XHP, it's a great steel!
I am glad though they used it in the Chap, cause for me this thing is s real, great performing work horse (in the arena of small folders of course)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
metaphoricalsimile

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:05 pm
Hi TboneEsteban, PyriteParachute,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Metaphoricalsimile,

We're always open to suggestions. what did you have i mind?

sal
XHP seems like it would be perfect for for easy-to-maintain knives with durable handle materials and locks. The entire Native series, Paramilitaries, and Shaman come to mind. Which as others have mentioned have happened in sprint runs, but it would be nice to get at least a few sturdier models with XHP in regular production.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'd be happy to see XHP replace S30V all around.
metaphoricalsimile

yowzer wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:10 pm
I'd be happy to see XHP replace S30V all around.
I think that stainlessness is a great benefit for general purpose knives, so IMO the semi-stainless nature of XHP lends itself better to more specialized models. I feel like there is a decent place for S30V (and it's newer derivatives) in the lineup.