DIY Ladybug / Manbug Pocket Clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

DIY Ladybug / Manbug Pocket Clip

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

When it comes to carrying small knives like Ladybugs, Manbugs, etc., they are usually attached to keychains or carried loose in the pocket. I generally prefer pocket clips for easier accessibility, but these don't come with that option. Here's how to make a super simple and effective pocket clip/hangar that can be adapted to work with virtually anything with a lanyard hole or key ring.

This clip is made of wire threaded through paracord. The paracord not only can be color matched with pant material to blend in or stand out, but it also helps prevent scratching surfaces if you lean against something. I've never worried about scratching a car with this clip design. The end product should look like this:

Items needed are a paperclip (preferably large) or other similar posable wire (bailing wire works great), paracord, needle nose pliers, and a lighter.

I'm starting with a small paperclip for demonstration purposes as I couldn't find a large paperclip in my home. I will switch to a previously assembled unit in the middle of the tutorial.

Start by straightening the paperclip.

Use pliers to curl the ends of the wire so they are rounded. This will prevent the ends from poking through the cord.

Cut a length of paracord slightly longer than the wire and pull out the inner strands.

Melt and seal one end of the gutted cord.

Thread the wire into the open end of the gutted cord and melt and seal that end.

For the rest of the tutorial, I'll be using a previously assembled unit with a large paperclip.

The rest just requires some imagination and finding your personal preference. To turn this paracord clad wire into a pocket clip/hangar, bend the wire in half.

Wrap both ends of the wire through/around the lanyard hole or split ring, etc.

Bend the tip out a small bit so it will slip onto the pocket more easily.

Bend it in half again. It should now look like a pocket clip. Be sure to leave space at the bend where the seam of your pocket will rest -- it needs the space for the seam to fit and should look like a narrow loop as seen below.

Alternatively, you can attach only one end of the wire if you need more length.

This is great way to add pocket clips to whatever pocketable items you'd like, but they are also great reusable wire ties. I've been using the orange one below for years to bind things together. It's made with bailing wire and is much stronger.

PeaceInOurTime

Re: DIY Ladybug / Manbug Pocket Clip

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 am
... Could you share another pic of how you exactly bend and attach the paperclip? ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:46 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 am
... Could you share another pic of how you exactly bend and attach the paperclip? ...

Thanks! :)
Really appreciate that you thought of doing this thread and detailled instruction!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Interesting, thank you for sharing! :) that's a pretty creative way of making a DIY clip for these small bugs.

I usually keep my Ladybug inside my 5th pant pocket. The size of the pocket is enough to snugly fit the LB without being easily dislodged. My only concern with this is how fragile and easily bendable paper clips are. A stronger wire would really make this hack awesome.

Thanks for sharing and the detailed, easy to follow pictures again!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 pm
Thanks! :)
Really appreciate that you thought of doing this thread and detailled instruction!

Happy to help :).

nerdlock wrote: Interesting, thank you for sharing! :) that's a pretty creative way of making a DIY clip for these small bugs.

I usually keep my Ladybug inside my 5th pant pocket. The size of the pocket is enough to snugly fit the LB without being easily dislodged. My only concern with this is how fragile and easily bendable paper clips are. A stronger wire would really make this hack awesome.

Thanks for sharing and the detailed, easy to follow pictures again!

Thanks :). Paperclips work well enough, but yes, they're not nearly as strong as a thicker gauge. I have tried using bailing wire in the past and it is superior. However, paperclips have worked well so far and they don't rust as readily. Surely some kind of fence wire would be perfect for this. Using two paperclips twisted together should be better, too.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Here is another thread on clips for Manbug

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57634
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've got some thin lightweight cord, I can't remember the brand but it's crazy strong for how thin it is. You could use it to tie a standard deep carry pocket clip to the lanyard hole and make a dangle clip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Here is another thread on clips for Manbug

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57634

Thanks for the link. I don't recall reading that one all the way through.

Evil D wrote: I've got some thin lightweight cord, I can't remember the brand but it's crazy strong for how thin it is. You could use it to tie a standard deep carry pocket clip to the lanyard hole and make a dangle clip.

There's an idea! I'd be concerned that the clip wouldn't be able to actually pinch/clip to the pocket, but rather just be suspended by a small loop and friction. It may work fine, though. I wish I had a deep carry clip to give it a try.
Doonzman

Post by Doonzman »

Very late to this, But….
1) buy your flave of Ulticlip ™️ (slim 2.2 is likely ideal) for $12
2) fix paracord to lanyard hole —> Ulticlip

= low cost, super reliable, diy pocket clip (and Ulticlip is made in USA 🇺🇸 which is cool)
“A man wishing to be unhappy finds many ways to prove his course”
- 100 Eyes