New Knifejoy exclusive PM3: lots of qc issues including an asymmetrical blade.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

New Knifejoy exclusive PM3: lots of qc issues including an asymmetrical blade.

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I was really excited about this knife because the m390/20cv/204 family of steels is one of my favorites, I had been wanting to try a compression lock knife, the para 3 lw specifically fills a size gap I had in my collection, and I've been very impressed with the two knives I've previously purchased from the Golden factory.

The knife arrived, and I immediately started noticing little issues. The scales have a *lot* of flash on them. I trimmed a lot off, but this was surprising as reviews specifically mention how well molded the scales are, and my manix 2 lw came much cleaner out of the box. The knife has pretty significant lock stick, enough that it actually makes my thumb a little sore to fidget with it. The centering was off quite a bit; I tried adjusting the pivot tension to fix this with no success. The blade also, more seriously, had a pretty serious micro-burr from the factory that was very difficult to remove with a ceramic/diamond-loaded strop combo. My m390 manix 2 didn't have a *perfect* edge from the factory but it was much easier to touch up to hair-popping sharp with the same tools.

Because the edge was being so stubborn I decided to go ahead and load it up in the sharpening system. Immediately I noticed that the same angle setting was giving me a different contact angle with the blade on each side. I checked that the blade was properly centered in the clamps, and indeed it seems pretty off-center. I tried to re-adjust multiple times, but it kept settling back to a position where the edge apex was not perfectly in line with the center of the clamp.

Looking at the blade more closely I realized that actually the blade itself just isn't really symmetrical, which explains the poor centering as well. I guess what it all comes down to is this: are these issues pretty normal and I just shouldn't expect better fit and finish from a $130 knife, or is this something I should be talking to customer service about?

ImageImage
VooDooChild

Re: New Knifejoy exclusive PM3: lots of qc issues including an asymmetrical blade.

Post by VooDooChild »

Pretty sure all the para 3 lightweights are off center. Mine is.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Re: New Knifejoy exclusive PM3: lots of qc issues including an asymmetrical blade.

Post by Evil D »

I'd love to be able to test this on about 100 knives and see what the ratio of perfect to imperfect is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:11 pm
I'd love to be able to test this on about 100 knives and see what the ratio of perfect to imperfect is.
I compared it to both of my Manix 2s and they both come a lot closer to symmetrical. I can actually see the asymmetry on the pm3 blade without comparing it to a straight edge, but I used this ceramic hone to provide a better view of it with the camera.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:17 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:11 pm
I compared it to both of my Manix 2s and they both come a lot closer to symmetrical. I can actually see the asymmetry on the pm3 blade without comparing it to a straight edge, but I used this ceramic hone to provide a better view of it with the camera.
Just out of curiosity, I checked 2 of my para 3s (G10) against my Lansky sapphire stone and they're essentially perfect. Even with that being the case, if I received one like yours I don't think it would bother me. Ive paid a whole lot more for a whole lot worse.

That's not to say that your expectations need to align with mine. It's your money, and your knife.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not trying to deny your issue but I've never seen a Lansky stone that came perfectly flat unless you lapped it yourself.

This is one of those things nobody can tell you is acceptable except yourself. We all have our hangups, if it bothers you I'd return it because it will nag at you every time you use it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:01 pm
Yeah I've had 3 Para 3 lws and they've all been off center to the left, it's just the nature of the design with the single washer.
osprey

Post by osprey »

mine finally arrived, unexpected, and I couldn't be happier with it. i also shouldn't post after drinking. :D
Last edited by osprey on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

osprey wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:10 pm
at least yours arrived. mine went into usps purgatory and i got the "yeah yeah sure sure" when asking kj for help.
Once it's with USPS, it's out of the distributors hands. Not much they can do, especially with how backed up USPS is these days. Just have to be patient.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BohnsBlades

Post by BohnsBlades »

Hey there! First post on the forum because this I had to respond to this post. My KnifeJoy Para 3 has the exact same grind wonkiness you’re showing. My bevel gets wide on the compression lock side, near the tip. I’ve seen other examples on Reddit that have the same issue. Cutting performance has been excellent and the FRN isn’t bad either. I love the color and steel combo, it’s just disappointing that it’s my first wacky factory edge from Spyderco.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

buckleys wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:33 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:01 pm
Yeah I've had 3 Para 3 lws and they've all been off center to the left, it's just the nature of the design with the single washer.
I'm looking at my Para 3 LW/BD1N and the blade is centered. I can see the PB washer on one side and a molded-in FRN boss on the other.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:36 pm
osprey wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:10 pm
at least yours arrived. mine went into usps purgatory and i got the "yeah yeah sure sure" when asking kj for help.
Once it's with USPS, it's out of the distributors hands. Not much they can do, especially with how backed up USPS is these days. Just have to be patient.
Attachments
9DAB6203-1F79-4C76-A214-3BCB3982EF55.jpeg
MRj “Weak things break!”
araneae

Post by araneae »

My advice is if you have any expectation of "perfection" from a $130 production folder, prepare for disappointment. If you have very high expectations, ask your dealer to inspect before you buy. If you get a knife and feel unhappy, return it for another, don't alter it and then decide you are unhappy. IMO, it's too late to talk to customer service, you made it your knife when you altered it. Spyderco may help, but I wouldn't expect them to. Also, a Lansky is always going to be a challenge with a FFG blade. It is near impossible to keep them perfectly clamped with their setup- it is very easy to push it to one side while you sharpen, its just the nature of the beast.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I agree with Araneae . No one here should be advising the OP to return the knife after he had taken it apart and changed the edge/sharpened/stropped the knife. If the knife needs to go back it should be before the above not after.

I can't tell if the blade is warped or if it is just the tapering that makes it look like that. With high alloy/ high hardness knife blades that are that thin if it is a slight warpage Spyderco is doing pretty darn good . I've never seen one come out of a heat treat at those temps without some changes. I'd be happy with it as it is. I can't comment about the edge as I haven't seen it. I sharpen everything I get anyways so what the edge looks like out of the box means very little however saying that I've seen some amazing edges come out of the box the last few years from Spyderco.