CPM SPY27 Experiments - Toughness, corrosion resistance, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

CPM SPY27 Experiments - Toughness, corrosion resistance, etc

Post by Larrin »

I did a range of experiments on SPY27 including heat treatment response, corrosion resistance, toughness, and micrographs. And a comparison with previous predictions of what the properties would be. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
elena86

Re: CPM SPY27 Experiments - Toughness, corrosion resistance, etc

Post by elena86 »

Edge stability ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am a simple man, I see article from Larrin and I like it.

EDIT: Just finished reading it, good stuff as usual Larrin. I hope we get SPY27 in a lot of models, particulary sweet it would be in FRN models like Endura.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am
Edge stability ?
Edge stability isn't really a "property" as much as it is a collection of properties including strength and toughness, and is also controlled by edge geometry.
Last edited by Larrin on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Very nice. :cool:
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

A great read as usual Larrin! Thank you for the diligent, methodical work.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting! Thank you for posting!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I got the impression that its right on par with s30v/s35vn, and we traded some corrosion resistance for potential hardness. Maybe that different grain structure will help with issues of chipping at a higher hardness.

I know Im going to get some simply because its Spydercos steel.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

On par with s30v/s35vn actually sounds like more than I initially expected. I'm definitely picking up the Manix in this steel just to try it out. :)

Do we know how hard Spyderco is running this?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Interesting read, thank you for taking the time.

“ Summary

Experimental results of SPY27 line up well with the previously provided predictions. SPY27 has similar obtainable hardness to S35VN and similar corrosion resistance to S30V. The toughness is very close to S35VN. The microstructure confirms somewhat reduced carbide content relative to S35VN, S30V, and S45VN. The steel appears to be relatively well balanced and should do well for Spyderco.”

So I have to ask, if it is so similar to multiple steels that we already have, why move forward with it? Why not just stick with S30V, S35VN OR S45VN?

I’m sure part of the answer is that you never know until you try which makes sense to me. But is the goal to simply have an exclusive steel? Perhaps Spyderco is obtaining this at a lower cost or something. It’s also got me wondering if this will be the first in a new line of steels exclusive to Spyderco, SPY(insert numbers here), steels that have different qualities for different tasks. That would be interesting to see.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 am
Interesting read, thank you for taking the time.

“ Summary

Experimental results of SPY27 line up well with the previously provided predictions. SPY27 has similar obtainable hardness to S35VN and similar corrosion resistance to S30V. The toughness is very close to S35VN. The microstructure confirms somewhat reduced carbide content relative to S35VN, S30V, and S45VN. The steel appears to be relatively well balanced and should do well for Spyderco.”

So I have to ask, if it is so similar to multiple steels that we already have, why move forward with it? Why not just stick with S30V, S35VN OR S45VN?

I’m sure part of the answer is that you never know until you try which makes sense to me. But is the goal to simply have an exclusive steel? Perhaps Spyderco is obtaining this at a lower cost or something. It’s also got me wondering if this will be the first in a new line of steels exclusive to Spyderco, SPY(insert numbers here), steels that have different qualities for different tasks. That would be interesting to see.
I doubt that they would obtain a lower cost, as cobalt can be quite expensive. Maybe similar cost. On the outside it looks like the steel resulted from interest in Cobalt additions from Spyderco. But I'm sure Sal and Eric can provide their position without my help.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Fantastic article Larrin, Thank You!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks, Larrin! Great read and information!

When SPY27 was talked about initially, I somehow got the impression it would be very close to VG10 (like an "US VG10" in its properties).. but in fact it obviously is a lot closer to S35VN.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I haven't had time to read the article yet but, from the responses, it sounds like SPY27 is going to be very similar to S30V/S35VN. I like them both a lot. So much so that I have several knives with both. They're a great middle of the road steel for me and I really like how they bite into hardwood when I'm testing a newly sharpened edge. I'm just not sure I need another steel that's so similar. I already have a Manix 2 LW & Para 3 LW on pre-order. So I'll be trying it regardless.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the article! I'll be interested to see edge retention results
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Larrin,

Exceptional, as usual.

Hey Cobra,

Not less expensive. More expensive and we have to make a bunch.

By way of explanation; We wanted a USA made version of a Japanese steel that we use quite a bit of in Japan. ( VG-10 ). There was no American equivalent. But we wanted to powder it and tweak it for greater performance. We began working with Crucible some time ago to develop the steel. Because of the time and effort in the development of this particular blade steel, we asked that it be exclusive to Spyderco. We've been working closely with Crucible for 25 years, they agreed.

We did the same thing with Carpenter. We helped them develop their blade steels and did much testing for several years. They asked us what they could do for us to thank us for our efforts. We told them we wanted an American version of a Japanese steel called Gingami 1 for which there was no American equivalent, but tweaked for better performance. We thought it would be exclusive to us, ( SPY-1 ) but I guess there was some misunderstanding because when they came out with the steel after many months of testing and called it BD1, later BD1N and offered it to the open market. We use quite a bit of BD1N anyway, but ...

I remember when Kershaw had an exclusive steel with Sandvik. Though we're much smaller than Kershaw, we thought it was a good idea.

sal
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:16 am
I did a range of experiments on SPY27 including heat treatment response, corrosion resistance, toughness, and micrographs. And a comparison with previous predictions of what the properties would be. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/
Thank you for this Larrin, great test once again.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:52 pm
Thanx Larrin,

Exceptional, as usual.

sal
Thanks, Sal. I appreciate your efforts to push things in the steel industry.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Great info as always, Larrin!

Greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort to educate us. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

It sounds from Sal's comments that we'll have to get SPY27 blades in hand, and see if we subjectively find it to have sharpening performance similar to VG-10. If it has S30V/S35VN levels of toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance, but with a more VG-10 like sharpening response this could be a really interesting steel. Hopefully the first models with SPY27 blades will start shipping soon.