Help with 1st Gen Kapara?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ribstabsheart

Help with 1st Gen Kapara?

Post by Ribstabsheart »

Hey all!

Got one of the first Kapara's made, and its one of my favorite knife. The CQI version seems to fix my only complaint -- the stiff compression lock. For those that dissassembled/lubed/stropped the bearings, did it help? Any tips?

I sent in an email to Spyderco, and whatever they did to the CQI isnt compatible with the OG model, so they can only replace it with a new model (and only if its found to be faulty). Kinda bummed, but I'm not gonna try and pretend its faulty when its one of the best/nicest knives I own.
Ribstabsheart

Re: Help with 1st Gen Kapara?

Post by Ribstabsheart »

Was thinking of taking it apart, is it tricky/would it void anything?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ribstabsheart wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 pm
Hey all!

Got one of the first Kapara's made, and its one of my favorite knife. The CQI version seems to fix my only complaint -- the stiff compression lock. For those that dissassembled/lubed/stropped the bearings, did it help? Any tips?

I sent in an email to Spyderco, and whatever they did to the CQI isnt compatible with the OG model, so they can only replace it with a new model (and only if its found to be faulty). Kinda bummed, but I'm not gonna try and pretend its faulty when its one of the best/nicest knives I own.
Welcome to the forum!

The first gen Kapara I had was just fine
Besides I am not an expert on comp. locks

But I´ll bump your thread for I am sure others can give advice! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

My 1st gen Kapara is also just fine. I do find the compression lock works more smoothly if my finger is all the way forward.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ribstabsheart wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Was thinking of taking it apart, is it tricky/would it void anything?
Taking apart the knife does not void the warranty, so long as you don't damage or modify anything, and you reassemble it correctly.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.