Military ATS-34 - factory outlet visit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
moebravo

Military ATS-34 - factory outlet visit

Post by moebravo »

Missed my chance to miss Sal this week when I went to visit the factory store in Boulder.

What a terrific group of people that worked there.

Was really excited to talk about the military I have in ATS-34.

I wanted to see if there was a collaboration with Benchmade as my AFCK also has ATS-34 or if it was just a coincidence.

I just joined so please let me know if there is a problem with my image. I got home from Denver and had to take a picture to share.

Hope everyone enjoys.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190622-131334_Gallery.jpg
sal

Re: Military ATS-34 - factory outlet visit

Post by sal »

Hi Moebravo,

Welcome to our forum.

Photo is fine, nice piece. At the time ( mid '90's ) ATS-34 was one of the premiere steels for knives. We used it in a number of knives and the Military was one of them. Benchmade also used it in their AFCK for the same reason. No collaboration on that model other than Benchmade paying Spyderco royalties on the hole opener. Some say the AFCK is quite similar to the Police model we made at the time. If you place one over the other, the size and pattern are very similar. It is also has a negative angle like the handle on the Police model which was not a common practice for Benchmade designs.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

moebravo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:14 am
Missed my chance to miss Sal this week when I went to visit the factory store in Boulder.

What a terrific group of people that worked there.

Was really excited to talk about the military I have in ATS-34.

I wanted to see if there was a collaboration with Benchmade as my AFCK also has ATS-34 or if it was just a coincidence.

I just joined so please let me know if there is a problem with my image. I got home from Denver and had to take a picture to share.

Hope everyone enjoys.
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of lock does the BM have? Can't figure it out grom your pic...(at least not right now on my phone)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The AFCK had a liner lock.
moebravo

Post by moebravo »

Sure did. They both have a liner lock. Both have G10 grips. Both have ATS-34 steel. They are very similar and very rare.
moebravo

Post by moebravo »

double tap
moebravo

Post by moebravo »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Hi Moebravo,

Welcome to our forum.

Photo is fine, nice piece. At the time ( mid '90's ) ATS-34 was one of the premiere steels for knives. We used it in a number of knives and the Military was one of them. Benchmade also used it in their AFCK for the same reason. No collaboration on that model other than Benchmade paying Spyderco royalties on the hole opener. Some say the AFCK is quite similar to the Police model we made at the time. If you place one over the other, the size and pattern are very similar. It is also has a negative angle like the handle on the Police model which was not a common practice for Benchmade designs.

sal
Thanks Sal, I asked Connie if you were there on Thursday but she said you were out.

Would have been nice to see you and talk to you about it.

Thanks for giving me some more info.

Now if I could only find a 2 hole pocket clip for it.

Have a great weekend.
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Moebravo,

We were out at Lake Dillon doing a photo shoot for the new SageSport 160. ( we also make boats - Sage Marine ). There were 10 of us out there. Got some great pics.

sal
Outlaw Pete

Post by Outlaw Pete »

moebravo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:57 pm
Sure did. They both have a liner lock. Both have G10 grips. Both have ATS-34 steel. They are very similar and very rare.
I remember when these were in all the stores. I must have bought at least five of each back in the 90s. A great era for tactical knives. The amount of innovation and constant evolution was amazing looking back on it.
20yrs later and they rarely come up for sale .
If only I knew then what I know now😀
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:25 pm
Sorry Moebravo,

We were out at Lake Dillon doing a photo shoot for the new SageSport 160. ( we also make boats - Sage Marine ). There were 10 of us out there. Got some great pics.

sal
Wait, what?!? Boats? Bet they have a sharp keel :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:23 pm
The AFCK had a liner lock.
Thanks! I wasn't even aware of this BM model...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

They also did one with the axis lock. Mine was the D2 version with axis. Funky grip that I never really cared for.