Chaparral FRN Lightweight - Unobtainium?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Chaparral FRN Lightweight - Unobtainium?

Post by Unadan »

Wondering why there is no stock anywhere of this knife? I've checked all the big online knife retailers - no dice. Wondering if I should take a chance on a Raffir Noble model.
sal

Re: Chaparral FRN Lightweight - Unobtainium?

Post by sal »

Hi Unadan,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Unadan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:04 am
Wondering why there is no stock anywhere of this knife? I've checked all the big online knife retailers - no dice. Wondering if I should take a chance on a Raffir Noble model.
You won't be sorry with the Raffir. I really like it--feels very classy.

It has less grip than the FRN, so if you're looking to use it in wet conditions or with freezing hands, you might want to hold out for the FRN. If it's something like an office EDC, the RN is perfect--and a bit easier on your pocket than the FRN (which can tear up your pants a bit sliding in and out of light work pants).
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

Thanks appreciate the feedback!
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

I might get the CF version. Anyone prefer the CF to the FRN scales?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The LW is very popular, obviously. It sort of flew off the shelves. Just be patient. They will be coming.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I didn't realize these were so hard to come by. I got mine last year and it probably has seen the most pocket time of any knife I own. It is an amazing little knife. Seeing it out of stock like this makes me think that we will see some additional variations soon due to the popularity. An LC200N Chap LW Salt is a "grail" of mine.

Looking forward to the Sage LW. Going to grab one as soon as they drop.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Unadan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:30 pm
I might get the CF version. Anyone prefer the CF to the FRN scales?
I carry the CF the most often. I prefer it to the FRN for general EDC, but I like the FRN better in slippery environments.
Last edited by TomAiello on Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Welcome to the forum! :)

I only have the FRN version, and it's perfection in every aspect, just great. I'd say if you want a real user, it`s worth waiting for the FRN Chap being available again. It's also cheaper and lighter than the RN.

One European dealer (knivesandtools) still has it in stock, but that's a pricey option if you're American... 115 Euros (about 128 dollars) plus shipping to the US...
But other dealers here say, they'll have it once more soon, so I guess the wait won't be too long!

In any case: If you get one and report back how you like it, that would be great.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 pm
I didn't realize these were so hard to come by. I got mine last year and it probably has seen the most pocket time of any knife I own. It is an amazing little knife. Seeing it out of stock like this makes me think that we will see some additional variations soon due to the popularity. An LC200N Chap LW Salt is a "grail" of mine.

Looking forward to the Sage LW. Going to grab one as soon as they drop.
Yes, it IS amazing indeed! If you haven´t already, you should try it in some woodwork, maybe even just do a bit of whittling on a stick or some shavings without any purpose (or prepare a fire or the like). It´s amazing how this thing bites into wood. Even if you carry a bigger knife for that kind of work, the Chap is like an additional, even better extra tool for smaller woodwork...

/ On the LC200N: I am sure that´s a great steel and sure hope for you that there will be a Chap in it, but I personally think that part of the great value the Chap lw offers comes from the CTS HXP for that price. I am no steel expert by any means, but even I can tell how good the HXP is.

/ Sage LW: Yes, that will be a good one, and I´d prefer it over the Para 3 LW no doubt. But while it´s LOOKING like a larger Chap at first glance, for me it is missing one of the defining features of the Chap: The thin, 2mm bladestock! I am not aware at the moment of any other Spyderco offering that in FFG (I guess the Centofante is also 2mm, but in hollow/sabre grind, and there might be more, but I don´t remember (or even know) every model)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Unadan wrote:
As much as I love the Chaparral, I'd never make the same mistake getting this version without first seeing it. Too many variations concerning the looks of the scales.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To my eyes, of all the Chaparral versions, the CF still represents the best balance of looks, weight, grip, and price point.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

this_is_nascar wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 am
Unadan wrote:
As much as I love the Chaparral, I'd never make the same mistake getting this version without first seeing it. Too many variations concerning the looks of the scales.
Certainly you're referring specifically and solely to the Raffir Noble version.. ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 am
To my eyes, of all the Chaparral versions, the CF still represents the best balance of looks, weight, grip, and price point.
I am not entitled to discuss that with you, since I never handled the CF version (but just the FRN).
But nevertheless: Really? Better than the FRN which is a lot cheaper and grippier, even about 15% lighter plus has one of the best and classy looking FRN?
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Chap LW is a fantastic knife in a very wide variety of hands and uses. In my experience, it's the perfect counterargument to the 'heavier-duty is better in all cases' type of knife. It's just so very, very good. Glad it's selling well!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think there is a little of a trend towards smaller knives that punch above their weight, so to speak, and the Chaparral is one of those knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:01 am
I think there is a little of a trend towards smaller knives that punch above their weight, so to speak, and the Chaparral is one of those knives.
Maybe even the BEST of those knives... :D
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think the Raffir Noble is the best for office carry, being sleek and slick. The CF model is the best all-around however for its good looks and good grip. The Ti models I think are discontinued? But they are the classiest and I love my “stealth” Chaparral.

RN does get slippery when wet as it’s basically polished acrylic. On the other hand it is the most beautiful version of the Chaparral right now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Maybe even the BEST of those knives... :D

I agree. The Chap LW is one of the select few Spyderco knives where I wouldn't change a single thing (aside from wanting more variations like a Salt and 4V to hoard). It is a true masterpiece. Literally perfect in every way. I'm glad the rest of the world is finally seeing what a few of us have been preaching and these are sold out everywhere.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I agree. The Chap LW is one of the select few Spyderco knives where I wouldn't change a single thing (aside from wanting more variations like a Salt and 4V to hoard). It is a true masterpiece. Literally perfect in every way. I'm glad the rest of the world is finally seeing what a few of us have been preaching and these are sold out everywhere.
That's about as perfectly said as the Chap lw is as a knife... :) And exactly what I am thinking too. Despite I normally do not really like small knives.