How do you rate BHQ's new M4 PM2 over others

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

How do you rate BHQ's new M4 PM2 over others

Post by Spyderman91 »

Good Afternoon everyone, as the title suggest I'm wondering how do you rank the new DLC coated m4 PM2 from Blade HQ versus other Sprint Runs or limited editions (of the PM2). Compared to the other steels offered, such as: s35v, m390, sv110,52100, Elimax, Cruwear and Maxamet (probably missed one) what is the benefit of m4.

I know the answers may be subjective, but I am curious to how others feel. We all love our paramilitaries, and other Spyder folders just the same. This is my first experience with a Spyderco Sprint Run, and I was both lucky (and cursed) to be able to land my hands on one. It is a beautiful knife, but sadly I am Safe Queening her until further notice (would rather beat up my black digi camo instead, and safeguard the precious).

This is my first post on the forums (a tenacious, and now 2 pm2s and a manix lightweight got me here). So thank you for reading and I look forward to the replies ahead.
SF Native

Re: How do you rate BHQ's new M4 PM2 over others

Post by SF Native »

Availability is the best ability.

M4 is great. Not stainless but the dlc will help. Takes a really fine edge. Stays sharp for a pretty long time. Other steels will hold an edge longer, like maxamet and s110v. But it is really good steel. I find it similar to cruwear and hap40.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Edgewise, CPM-M4 definitely seems to hold it's own in that category. I think the main concern I saw from other users was "Corrosion resistance". I'm hoping the DLC coating will help mitigate this issue, but I don't have much experience with this type of steel myself so I cannot say. I trust Spyderco, and I don't think they would produce an "inefficient" variant of one of their flagship models.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the extra toughness.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

Not a PM2 but I've been carrying a M4 Manix 2 for a couple of months now. I took off the natural put some black G-10 scales on it as I'm usually dirty. M4 is some tough stuff. I use it for more than I should in my farm shop. No corrosion problems. A half dozen strokes on each side of a steel and light oil wipe down about every 5 days is all it takes to keep it in the grove.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I had couple of S30V PM2s in addition to the ones below, one in DLC. M390 is my favorite. I had it the longest, most experience with use and sharpening. It has performed flawlessly. Only had the M4 PM2 for a short time, but I had other M4 in rotation. I would still pick the M390 (or 204P). I'm also biased towards stainless steel a bit.

Honestly, any of them would do if I could only keep one... picked by someone who knows nothing about knives :)

Peter
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

The knifeworks para 2 is the baddest one to be made
Jsowerbrower

Post by Jsowerbrower »

I recently picked up a Manix 2 in M4 steel with the DLC coating. It quickly took over as my edc pocket knife ive got another Manix 2 S110V and a Manix XL S30V that i was previously rotating between. The M4 has great edge retention although in the spirit of fairness i have babied this knife more than the others but even after about two months it was still servicably sharp and all it took to get it back to hair popping was a little time on the fine stones to unroll the edge. Bottom line is you wont regret the M4 i know i dont
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

I'm enjoying mine, but had to die those ugly scales. The jade looks good with a satin blade, but with black it's just wrong.