Slicing apples

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vms821

Slicing apples

Post by vms821 »

Hello! Could you please post videos about slicing apples?

Methods of apple slicing may vary. My personal ambitions for slicing solution at the moment are these:
  1. Thin Blade. Thin blade slices easier. Thicker blades get stuck more easily and press/crush the sides of the cut more. Thicker blade also tend to break the apple as the blade acts like a wedge. A good test of thinness is to start slicing an apple as if you were to cut it in half, but stop when you are about 95% through. If the blade is thin enough, the apple stays together while a thicker blade breaks open the rest of the intended path. Here's an example thin blade apple slice: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... Y5Mk1iSGhR. In the video I used Opinel 8 Slim, which produces a fine slice cut. Normally I slice the apple in half, but in the video I wedged the final 5%, which produced a rough breaking of the path. Most of my other thicker EDC knives break soon after the core.
  • Blade length of about 8 cm (3.15 inches). This is long enough to slice most apples in half but also dextrous enough to perform detailed manouvers in latter part of my slicing process. A typical fixed blade fish fillet knife is thin enough but generally too long.
  • Folding knife. Makes it easier to carry and do other EDC stuff. This is important for me even if it might narrow the list of available knives quite significantly.
  • Sharp blade. Apple has seeds, the blade should be able to slice them (see above video example).
  • Quality. Like Spyderco. :)
PS. I don't know much about knives.
vivi

Re: Slicing apples

Post by vivi »

IMO the longer the blade, the better. The technique I use to quarter an apple works just as well with a 10" chef knife as it does a Delica. I use two push cuts to halve the apple twice, then using the part of the blade closest to the ricasso I make two cuts per quarter of apple to remove the core.

My reprofiled Police 3 works well.
:unicorn
vms821

Post by vms821 »

Can you make a video? Mobile phone camera quality would do.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I eat a lot of apples and I slice them in various ways to keep myself entertained. Sometimes I try and see how thin of a slice I can make. At other times, I will quarter the apple. Then again, I might just slice off slabs and eat the piece off of my blade. I have also cut the skin off trying for one long continuous unbroken piece.

My favorite folders for this are the Chaparral (any model), Caly3, Urban Lightweight, and the Delica. I have tried other makes and or/models but these are my favorite tools.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I eat one whole every day. My office workers probably think I'm a savage.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I use whatever knife happens to be with me and cut the apple from one end to the other without much in the way of deep thought. Then I eat it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I used to eat my fruit like an average person - biting into it (apple, pear), or peeling it (orange, grapefruit).

Since I got into Spyderco, I have been slicing the crap out of all my fruit. Carving them up like Edward Scissorhands. Any knife will do.
Peter
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I think Opinels are currently the best tool for the job. I'd be happy to find out that I'm wrong.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Chaparral and Caly Jr are great Apple slicers.
Josh
hmr170

Post by hmr170 »

Surprised so many fell for this hook, line and sinker. OP is laughing.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Delica and Caly (family) are my favorite slicers for most any fruit. If I am in the kitchen, I grab my Spyderco K05 utility.
Honeycrisp, Fuji and Lunchbox Gala are my favorite varieties to enjoy.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

I use at least a 55cc Stihl. Nothing less than a 20" bar too. I find the 880 magnum is the best tool for the job; allows for long range cutting too with the 60" bar.
vms821

Post by vms821 »

hmr170 wrote:Surprised so many fell for this hook, line and sinker. OP is laughing.
A little history regarding my original post.

I contacted Blade HQ (bladehq.com) and asked about what they thought was the perfect apple slicer. They recommended Spyderco Delica. I then did some googling on the blade and contacted Spyderco requesting an apple slicing video featuring the Delica. Spyderco kindly replied, but stated they were a bit busy "preparing for our largest tradeshow (SHOT Show)". They suggested I would post my slicing video request to Spyderco forums. I did.

I had to google the phrase "hook, line, and sinker" which seems to be defined as "used to emphasize that someone has been completely deceived or tricked." I would like to state that deception or trickery has not been my intention at any point.

PS. I don't know much about knives.
setldown

Post by setldown »

More than you ever wanted to know about apple slicing........lol

https://youtu.be/e2wHJesxL9g

https://youtu.be/Andtkeo4eEc
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

setldown wrote:More than you ever wanted to know about apple slicing........lol

https://youtu.be/e2wHJesxL9g

https://youtu.be/Andtkeo4eEc
By the same YouTube poster, an Endura FFG works better than than a Delica. I found it sometimes still crack the apple, so a Resilience should work slightly better (taller blade with same thickness.

Non Spyderco : Boker Exkelibur (spelling?).
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer Honeycrisp apples. They bite so much easier than other types. Cutting wise you're on the right track, you want long and thin and definitely FFG. The Caly 3.5 is an excellent choice, as is the full size Calypso.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

vms821 wrote:Can you make a video? Mobile phone camera quality would do.
skip 9:45 into this video

https://videos2.sendvid.com/d9/4d/112jee6j.mp4
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I slice multiple apples every day. I use the Chaparral and Manix 2 on occasion, but mostly I use the K05 or the Sprig.

I even bought a K05 to keep at my desk for slicing apples.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Caly 3.5 is probably your answer. You can thank David for that. My Caly3 is a great apple slicer; one of my favorites. The Caly 3.5 has a longer blade but otherwise has the same blade dimensions. I know a Caly will cut slices so thin you can see through them.

However, I do find that the Chaparral and Delica do just fine and they are far cheaper, to boot. These both have very thin blades and the Chaparral especially so. With the advent of the new Chaparral Lightweight, a Chaparral is priced within everyone's reach.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vms821

Post by vms821 »

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations!

If someone would like to post a detailed apple slicing video (see my example) that would also be nice.