Military growing on me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amishviking

Military growing on me

Post by amishviking »

I've been a bit of an Endura fan since becoming a Spyderco guy. I like the large blade in the light, thin package. Lots of knife that carries very well. I kept looking at the BHQ M4 Military, thinking I'd like try M4 and I like the Jade handles. Finally pulled the trigger and it arrived a couple days ago. First impressions had me thinking it was a bit too much knife.

I definitely notice the size increase in pocket. Not so much that it would deter me from carrying. I love the "thwack" when opening. Its my first liner lock in years. Takes me back to my Kershaw 2420 days in my mind while opening/closing. The overall increase in size is growing on me. Its a nice addition to the collection. I look forward to getting some M4 experience. Trying not to buy a titanium Military while they are being sold off.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Military growing on me

Post by Doc Dan »

The Millie is a great knife. I have only one but it is a dandy. Mine is plain vanilla black G10/S30V.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Best spyderco ever made in my extremely limited and ignorant view.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It may be my favorite knife. Not a big fan of liner locks but absolutely love everything else about it and the liner lock does contribute to it's light weight which is one of the things I love about it.

I have found that large knives do have a way of growing on you and that is by shrinking on you. ;) You just get used to them and I am a believer in the idea that a big knife is more versatile. A big knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a big knife can. Plus, with the choil I find I am not hindered at all when performing finer tasks.

Enjoy!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

amishviking wrote: ...Trying not to buy a titanium Military while they are being sold off.
Well, since you already have the Military, it may be time to try the Police 4? It carries as slim as the Endura (don't have one, but I assume), and even a larger blade than the Military.

I also never thought I would like large folders as much as I do. But around a campsite, outdoors, or food prep in general, nothing like a large blade... on a folder, nonetheless.

Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a Military or Police on me every day of the week except for the summer, when a Pacific Salt rules my pockets.

The Military is a classic. I think it's the most comfortable folder they make, and its got an excellent blade shape.

I've tried carrying smaller knives and I find them less efficient for the things I cut. If I'm only carrying one knife I want a 3.75-4.25" blade.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love the millie wish I could justify edc'ing one, but I can't. if millie works for you buy all the ones you can
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jdw

Post by jdw »

My Endura love gave way to the Military. I agree with the other folks chiming in. The Military rides incredibly light and streamlined for its size and can do virtually any task that you ask of it. I have become a huge Military fan and I agree with Spydergirl88. Buy as many as you can.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've tried forcing myself to carry it, but it always ended up in my bag mostly because of the clip situation, partly because of the size.

After I fell in love with the Police4, I bit the bullet and tapped a Military for tip up carry... Now I like it much more. Right now I still need to tell myself to carry it over a PM2 (for example), but we're getting there.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

PM2 is my favorite but I have a pair of Militarys and I like them for weekend carry. The size fits well in my pocket, I don't mind the handle size, but for most of my use during the week I like the PM2 blade size more.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Military is my work knife. The more you use it, the more it shrinks in your hand. Still like the Endura for EDC.
Orange was my first.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really does get smaller with use. I felt exactly the same before owning one...way too big, waaaay too much handle. It just didn't make sense to me. But, one day while browsing the local knife shop I came upon a gently used standard black/S30V Military at a price that was good enough to finally see what all the hype was about. I didn't end up carrying that knife very much and eventually sold it, but I quickly ended up with a digicam version and then a SE version and now I have 5 of them I think. I'm a person who tends to avoid redundancy in my knife collection, so the fact that I own 5 of them after initially not liking it at all should tell ya something. There may be better sized EDC knives but for real work it has no equal in my book.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

I'm on my second week of carrying my Military, and I love it. Its so light that I don't even know its there. Oh.....and that 14mm Spydie hole is genius. It actually sucks my thumb in, and I can open the blade every time with speed and authority. Great knife.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

When my first Military arrived I thought I’d never carry anything that big, but I’m happy to say from the first time I took the plunge and slipped it into my back pocket it shrunk heaps. I now have three, I’m seldom without one close handy and I want every new one I see. :rolleyes:

There’s nothing I don’t like about the knife and nothing I’d change … well maybe thinner blade stock and I wouldn’t mind one in ZDP-189. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have found that large knives do have a way of growing on you and that is by shrinking on you. ;)
Now that’s the truth.
Evil D wrote:It really does get smaller with use. I felt exactly the same before owning one...way too big, waaaay too much handle. It just didn't make sense to me.
I didn't end up carrying that knife very much and eventually sold it, but I quickly ended up with a digicam version and then a SE version and now I have 5 of them I think. I'm a person who tends to avoid redundancy in my knife collection, so the fact that I own 5 of them after initially not liking it at all should tell ya something.
Same here. It felt huge at first, and took me a few months to get used to the size. I sold the first one, but now I own 5 and I’m always tempted to get another one. Not sure why, because I will never wear out 5.
Evil D wrote:There may be better sized EDC knives but for real work it has no equal in my book.

Exactly my view.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Bouhgt my first Millie back in 2014. It was my only EDC for 6 months and everytime when I get it from the pocket and opened it, I keep wondering how big it is. Nothing wrong with it. Its legall in my country and I like it big. Millie just never "shrink" in my eyes, like any other knife I had. When I used to carry PM2, or Manix 2. After few weeks, I thought its smaller than it was:)
It was S30V in digi camo. I sanded down the camo layer, until it was Jade. It was very nice. But I wanted better edge retention steel. In 2014 super steel Militaries where expensive, hard to get or both. So I get me a Gayle Bradley.
In April this year I bouhgt S110V Military. Love the colour, love the CQI hardware and love the S110V. Its again my only EDC for last 6 months and this time its a keeper. With a deep carry clip its a joy to carry and I always have 4 inches of S110V on me. Gotta thank Spyderco for selling such a great steel for a very fair price.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Midnightrider wrote:Best spyderco ever made in my extremely limited and ignorant view.
When it comes to an EDC ( Every Day Carry) the C-36 Military has become my main "Go-To" EDC folder. When I got my M390 bladed version I've just never looked back and I'm extremely happy with it. With the newer Military models with these newer/better supersteel blades it has also become my main carry on a daily basis>> now that's in the plain edged category.

As far as an ergonomic design I do like the C-60 Ayoob better from that standpoint>> but they have not yet made it with one of the newer/better supersteel blades.

I would recommend the Military model to anyone>> it's one of those models you just can't go wrong with. And how much I wish they would bring it back with a full Spyderedged blade because it was one of my very favorites in SE.