The Knife Buying Process

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

The Knife Buying Process

Post by Eli Chaps »

Well, perhaps the title should be the knife selecting process. Like so many out there, I don't have a brick and mortar store to fondle much of a variety of knives, especially Spydercos. So I read and watch videos and look at pictures and do my level best to dissect, discern and decide on what I think is most appropriate for me.

But, as we all know, everything about knives is so subjective. From eye-appeal to the feel to even perceptions of steel performance, opinions can vary widely and more than once I've found myself in the minority. So buying knives is often sort of an educated dart toss. Usually, I'll have someone in mind that I can gift the model to if it doesn't work for me. That's another great thing about Spydercos, you generally know the quality is going to be there so you're not passing along junk just something that isn't your style or doesn't fit your exact need. That's what I did with the Endura, Stretch, etc. Great knives, just not what I was after.

That's a lot easier when they are sub-$100US but when a blade crosses over that century mark I start getting a lot more anxious about it. I know it is just money and twenty bucks one way or another doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme but I still fret over it. Not so much the money itself, but because these days my knife buying is a just for fun thing far more than a need. I don't need any more knives of any flavor. I have plenty and the truth is, most of my cutting demands these days are stubborn apples, honery salami, and the occasional petulant para-cord. :)

So when I start contemplating $100+ knives, I start really questioning all the details as I know it's quite a bit of money for a hobby item and also because at that price I know I won't buy another for some time. So I want to do my best to get theright thing.

Often I come here and read and post up asking for inputs and advice. I did that recently with the Ouroboros vs. Pattada and as much as that Pattada was talking to me, I just couldn't bring myself to drop $175 on it. This past year has really honed what I want in/from a knife so I can usually narrow it down to a few models pretty quickly.

But, the thing is, I like what I like so much that I am now finding myself buying variations of the same model. The only knife I have two of is the Delica. One in green/black Zome and one in ZDP-189. The truth is, as sweet as the ZDP-189 is when sharpened up, I still found myself carrying the VG10 a lot as it was so easy to maintain.

So the past few days I've been going round and round and round in my research loop like I do. Then, as usual, picking at every detail. This time I'd decided I was going to get another Manix 2 LW. My basic black BD1 version serves me quite well (which only adds to the dilemma) but I love the design and wanted to try a new steel. But, which one? S110V or S90V? Is that orange sort of pale? I don't know if I really like dark blue? Would I rather get a Manbug and a ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2? And so on and so on.

Inevitably, I sit down with and talk it over with a few very close 12oz friends and then just order one. And so, I should have a new Cutlery Shoppe M2LW on the way to me very soon.

I love the orange knives and I can't wait to get this version and check out this new steel. I'm so excited!

I hope I like it...

:p
:D
Evil D

Re: The Knife Buying Process

Post by Evil D »

I don't choose knives, knives choose me. I know that sounds silly but it's really about how it goes because I have pretty specific taste so a knife either fits the criteria or it doesn't. The more specific my tastes get the easier it seems to get and the less I find myself getting disappointed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Nice write up Eli.
I tend to do the same with other brands.
With spydies, I’m more willing to just buy and see what I like and dont. I’m usually not disappointed and more likely pleasantly surprised.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Evil D wrote:I don't choose knives, knives choose me. I know that sounds silly but it's really about how it goes because I have pretty specific taste so a knife either fits the criteria or it doesn't. The more specific my tastes get the easier it seems to get and the less I find myself getting disappointed.
I suspect that's more or less the direction I'm heading David. I've done a lot of experimenting and I know what I'm after and a whole lot has been pushed aside. Cool in the sense that I can focus on fewer models but kinda sad in that the chase was pretty fun (albeit expensive).

:)

Maybe I'll find myself going deeper into the sharpening rabbit hole again...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eli Chaps wrote:I've done a lot of experimenting and I know what I'm after and a whole lot has been pushed aside. Cool in the sense that I can focus on fewer models but kinda sad in that the chase was pretty fun.
I know exactly what you mean.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I know that feeling. It sucks watching all these sprints come and go that have all the right ingredients but for the wrong models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
palonej

Post by palonej »

Eli Chaps wrote:Well, perhaps the title should be the knife selecting process. Like so many out there, I don't have a brick and mortar store to fondle much of a variety of knives, especially Spydercos. So I read and watch videos and look at pictures and do my level best to dissect, discern and decide on what I think is most appropriate for me.

But, as we all know, everything about knives is so subjective. From eye-appeal to the feel to even perceptions of steel performance, opinions can vary widely and more than once I've found myself in the minority. So buying knives is often sort of an educated dart toss. Usually, I'll have someone in mind that I can gift the model to if it doesn't work for me. That's another great thing about Spydercos, you generally know the quality is going to be there so you're not passing along junk just something that isn't your style or doesn't fit your exact need. That's what I did with the Endura, Stretch, etc. Great knives, just not what I was after.

That's a lot easier when they are sub-$100US but when a blade crosses over that century mark I start getting a lot more anxious about it. I know it is just money and twenty bucks one way or another doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme but I still fret over it. Not so much the money itself, but because these days my knife buying is a just for fun thing far more than a need. I don't need any more knives of any flavor. I have plenty and the truth is, most of my cutting demands these days are stubborn apples, honery salami, and the occasional petulant para-cord. :)

So when I start contemplating $100+ knives, I start really questioning all the details as I know it's quite a bit of money for a hobby item and also because at that price I know I won't buy another for some time. So I want to do my best to get theright thing.

Often I come here and read and post up asking for inputs and advice. I did that recently with the Ouroboros vs. Pattada and as much as that Pattada was talking to me, I just couldn't bring myself to drop $175 on it. This past year has really honed what I want in/from a knife so I can usually narrow it down to a few models pretty quickly.

But, the thing is, I like what I like so much that I am now finding myself buying variations of the same model. The only knife I have two of is the Delica. One in green/black Zome and one in ZDP-189. The truth is, as sweet as the ZDP-189 is when sharpened up, I still found myself carrying the VG10 a lot as it was so easy to maintain.

So the past few days I've been going round and round and round in my research loop like I do. Then, as usual, picking at every detail. This time I'd decided I was going to get another Manix 2 LW. My basic black BD1 version serves me quite well (which only adds to the dilemma) but I love the design and wanted to try a new steel. But, which one? S110V or S90V? Is that orange sort of pale? I don't know if I really like dark blue? Would I rather get a Manbug and a ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2? And so on and so on.

Inevitably, I sit down with and talk it over with a few very close 12oz friends and then just order one. And so, I should have a new Cutlery Shoppe M2LW on the way to me very soon.

I love the orange knives and I can't wait to get this version and check out this new steel. I'm so excited!

I hope I like it...

:p
:D

Oh, you're gonna like it Eli!! Build is amazing, action is like oiled glass, super tight lock up and the steelis excellent!!
I love mine.......and the orange is kinda pale. Here it is next to a BD1 version.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2995.JPG
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

palonej wrote:
Oh, you're gonna like it Eli!! Build is amazing, action is like oiled glass, super tight lock up and the steelis excellent!!
I love mine.......and the orange is kinda pale. Here it is next to a BD1 version.
Joe
Thank you for that nice picture.

Yep, I'm very excited. :D
anycal

Post by anycal »

Eli Chaps wrote: ... Inevitably, I sit down with and talk it over with a few very close 12oz friends and then just order one. ...
And when I get one that I am not crazy about, we tend to have another discussion about the advice they provided.
Peter
sal

Post by sal »

Another moving variable is that tastes change with age and experience.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:Another moving variable is that tastes change with age and experience.

sal
The worst is after weeks of comparing various models, deciding the one knife that's right for you is a rare sprint you sold off years ago. :o

I will never look at an H1 Spyderhawk without feeling shame for trading mine. At the time I told myself I'd rather carry the Tasman because it's smaller and lighter, but these days I want the Spyderhawk sized handle back.

Taste can also change with location. Corrosion is on my mind living in the southeast USA near the coast. When I lived in a colder, inland climate, I worried about it much less. Used to never buy DLC models, now I tend to buy them if it's an option. I also EDC H1 knives more frequently. My Pacific Salt went from being my June-July EDC to being my companion over half the year.
:unicorn
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

anycal wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote: ... Inevitably, I sit down with and talk it over with a few very close 12oz friends and then just order one. ...
And when I get one that I am not crazy about, we tend to have another discussion about the advice they provided.
Ain't it the truth?! :D
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:Another moving variable is that tastes change with age and experience.

sal

So, so, so true!

Also, needs and uses change as we migrate through life. And, in my case anyway, I've arrived at a place where I have a little more money to try different things. Not a lot but enough that I can buy a knife here and there to try out. I have very, very much enjoyed this past year of buying Spydercos and carrying and evaluating them and often gifting them. It actually changed my perceptions and carry preferences and my family loves the ones I kicked off to them. It's truly a great problem to have when evaluating Spydercos. I've never had a bad one!
palonej

Post by palonej »

Great point about gifting Spydies Eli! I have 3 sons, 19, 25 & 28.......all 3 have been given many Spydies!! They also seem to ‘borrow’ some! I use the word borrow very loosely!!
This hobby is even more fun when our children get involved! Lot more expensive, but worth every penny!
Joe
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For some reason I have always favored smaller blades. When the Buck 110 came out (yes, I’m old) I opted for the smaller Ranger instead. Still have it and the blade is too worn/sharpened down to be useful but I won’t replace it for sentimental reasons). I have had larger blades, but tend not to keep them. One day, many years ago I stopped by a friend’s place up near the Indian Peaks (Colorado) to discover him about to butcher a sheep. I lent a hand with my 2 1/4” Gerber “gents” folding lock back. I figure if that worked on a sheep, why carry a larger knife

These days I favor smaller knives that are thin and very sharp. I love reading about them here and on the web and
planning which ones I would like to buy some day. Don’t plan to butcher any more animals but if I had to…
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

palonej wrote:Great point about gifting Spydies Eli! I have 3 sons, 19, 25 & 28.......all 3 have been given many Spydies!! They also seem to ‘borrow’ some! I use the word borrow very loosely!!
This hobby is even more fun when our children get involved! Lot more expensive, but worth every penny!
Joe
Indeed. My daughter who has my original Delica (saber grind) dropped it off about a week ago so I could sharpen it. I lent her my zome Delica and I was interested to see if she'd fall in love with the FFG and I'd struggle to get it back. We all went out to dinner last night and before hand she texted me and asked if she could gert her Delica back. I was finished sharpening it so I brought it for her. She said seh liked the FFG fine and all but it just wasn't her Delica. You know what I mean right Dad? Yes dear I do. :) I'll be buying her a purple Delica for her birthday. She's only dropped about a thousand hints about it. :D

Oh and the youngest daughter? She carries a Tasman. :D
palonej

Post by palonej »

That’s 2 Spydie families brother!!
Doesn’t it feel so much better buying a knife for one of our kids than ourselves???
I cannot wait to see the look on their faces when they realize they’re getting a new knife!! Priceless!!
Love how your girl KNOWS what she likes!!
Joe
Eli Chaps wrote:
palonej wrote:Great point about gifting Spydies Eli! I have 3 sons, 19, 25 & 28.......all 3 have been given many Spydies!! They also seem to ‘borrow’ some! I use the word borrow very loosely!!
Joe
Indeed. My daughter who has my original Delica (saber grind) dropped it off about a week ago so I could sharpen it. I lent her my zome Delica and I was interested to see if she'd fall in love with the FFG and I'd struggle to get it back. We all went out to dinner last night and before hand she texted me and asked if she could gert her Delica back. I was finished sharpening it so I brought it for her. She said seh liked the FFG fine and all but it just wasn't her Delica. You know what I mean right Dad? Yes dear I do. :) I'll be buying her a purple Delica for her birthday. She's only dropped about a thousand hints about it. :D

Oh and the youngest daughter? She carries a Tasman. :D
amishviking

Post by amishviking »

Neat thread. I had never thought of the knife buying process my father goes through and haven't given much thought to what he is/was thinking when gifting a knife to me. On the flip side I know that I have purchased 3 of a couple spydies with the thought that my boys will one day get to carry a Pingo or Urban. The oldest of my three is 4 right now. ;)

One of my dad's best friends has gifted all three of my boys a mini case knife when each of them was born. I haven't decided when they'll get their hands on them.