Unusual But Excellent Camping Knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Eli Chaps

Unusual But Excellent Camping Knife?

Post by Eli Chaps »

So in a variety of functions from personal to professional, I've spent a fair bit of time in the out doors. Desert to arctic and a lot of time in the mountains. I understand that different endeavors require different tools and all of that sort of thing. I've carried a pretty broad range range of knives and multi-tools and admittedly have bought into a some hype over the years. But, I'm getting older and spending more time reflecting on what really worked and what I really used and so on. My oldest daughter is an avid outdoorsman and I'm always thinking about the next thing I can get her. The next thing that will work for her, that will serve her needs, that will perform the tasks she needs to perform without considering hype or the current group think or whatever. Basically, what actually works?

I don't get too far down the survival rabbit hole. For me, and what I've taught my girls is, survival is short term. If necessary, we're talking quick overnight shelters because of weather. They are taught to sit for a time and then move. Even in the highest and toughest mountains up here in the Northwest, they will find people. And I make sure they have very good fire kits. They also are always with folks. I don't wish to debate my thoughts and approach to survival I just mention it because it will undoubtedly come into people's minds when discussing this topic.

Basically, for what I'm talking about here, my daughter doesn't need to throw sparks or split wood, she needs to cut cord, process food around camp and gut deer/elk. That sort of thing. She has a Delica 4 and will soon be the owner of a Stretch 2 if she likes it. I've always found folders to sort of be the general purpose tool around camp and so the larger fixed blade is more task specific.

Like I said, I've carried a lot of different knives of varying sizes, shapes, materials and prices but as I sit and think back and am honest with myself about what I really used the most around camp, I'm a little surprised what I keep coming back to. But then when I think about history and such I reckon it isn't all that crazy. Maybe... :)

Tell me why it is a completely crazy idea to have a sheath made for a ~6" stainless steel cook's knife like this...

Remember, we're talking gutting an undulate to prepping the camp's dinner. I know it goes against the modern grain and we think of all the variety of knives and such but I'm having a really hard time talking myself out of this one. I own that exact knife so I know it is a quality blade and yes I know it is stamped. It doesn't have to be that exact one but it is light and quality so that's why I tossed it up there.

So yeah, tell me, why I'm nuts cuz I feel like I should be... :D
yablanowitz

Re: Unusual But Excellent Camping Knife?

Post by yablanowitz »

Pioneers settled America with knives like that. I say "Go for it!"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Why not? If it turns out not to be absolutely ideal, you could always use it in your kitchen!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, like Yab said pioneers settled this country with thin butcher type knives. I might be inclined to go with a carbon steel knife from Dexter Russell or Old Hickory myself. They both make knives like the pioneers used. Dexter Russel has been around so long that they actually did make knives back then. You could also search out some trade pattern knives. I like the old French trade knife pattern.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Go with what you you know and works best for you. After reading your post though there is one knife that stands out to me that you might want to look into.

The Samekniv (Sami knife), is a knife that's carried by the Sami people (the last indigenous tribe in Europe). The Sami people are reindeer herders who live in the north of Norway, Sweden and Russia. These people spend a lot of time in the mountains and wilderness moving the reindeer to different pastures. Their knife of choice is called the "Samekniv", it has a 9 inch blade and a short wood handle. The knife is very light for it's size which is why the Same people have been using it for so long. The blade can be split into 3 sections, the forward portion is used for delicate tasks like processing an animal, the middle section is used for harder work like cutting bone or wood and the section closest to the handle is used for heavy duty work like chopping. The blades are made from carbon steel so are pretty easy to sharpen in the field.

The most renowned version of this knife is made by Knivsmed Stroming in the north of Norway. The standard version is the 9 inch blade but they do make smaller versions of the knife and even with finger guards. They're not too expensive either maybe around $120. I've had mine since the mid 80's and it still is in great condition.

Not mine but here's an idea of what it looks like

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Temperence 2 or the Moran would not be a bad knife. :)

Some survival people will carry only a Swiss Army Knife to show you that you don't NEED a crazy knife to survive. "The best knife is the knife you have on you." I think anyone can make it for a couple of days in the woods with just a Delica or even a Dragonfly.

If you know you're going to the woods, take a better knife. Sure, you can survive with a crappy knife, but I think you will do better with a nicer knife. It might be good practice to see how much you can do with a crappy knife while you're not in an emergency situation.

You can make a feather stick with a very small knife. You can find the right size wood for your fire, but it might take longer if you can't "resize" or chop it. You can do all the stuff you listed with a pretty weak knife.

I don't really understand the "gut a deer or elk" part. If you're stuck in the woods and are able to kill a deer or elk, I think what knife you have on you is not a very big problem. If you need to survive a couple of days or even a week, I would expect you to be eating... maybe rabbits, snakes, fish, or plants (if you know they're safe). You can process those with a small knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Thanks everyone for the responses. :)

bearfacedkiller wrote:Yup, like Yab said pioneers settled this country with thin butcher type knives. I might be inclined to go with a carbon steel knife from Dexter Russell or Old Hickory myself. They both make knives like the pioneers used. Dexter Russel has been around so long that they actually did make knives back then. You could also search out some trade pattern knives. I like the old French trade knife pattern.
Darby,

I thought about going that route but I just thought the carbon steel would be one more thing she'd have to keep up with whereas with stainless it's just less of a worry. Maybe it isn't a big deal either way though...?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Donut wrote:The Temperence 2 or the Moran would not be a bad knife. :)

Some survival people will carry only a Swiss Army Knife to show you that you don't NEED a crazy knife to survive. "The best knife is the knife you have on you." I think anyone can make it for a couple of days in the woods with just a Delica or even a Dragonfly.

If you know you're going to the woods, take a better knife. Sure, you can survive with a crappy knife, but I think you will do better with a nicer knife. It might be good practice to see how much you can do with a crappy knife while you're not in an emergency situation.

You can make a feather stick with a very small knife. You can find the right size wood for your fire, but it might take longer if you can't "resize" or chop it. You can do all the stuff you listed with a pretty weak knife.

I don't really understand the "gut a deer or elk" part. If you're stuck in the woods and are able to kill a deer or elk, I think what knife you have on you is not a very big problem. If you need to survive a couple of days or even a week, I would expect you to be eating... maybe rabbits, snakes, fish, or plants (if you know they're safe). You can process those with a small knife.
Sorry, what I was meaning is that the reason she is often in the woods is because she is hunting. So the knife would serve as both a camp and hunting knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Eli Chaps wrote: Sorry, what I was meaning is that the reason she is often in the woods is because she is hunting. So the knife would serve as both a camp and hunting knife.
Oh, my bad, I misunderstood the situation.

There used to be a guy on the forum here who was a hunter and he didn't like carrying fixed blades. He used a ZDP Stretch to field clean an Elk and I think he eventually moved onto a Wegner.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like your idea, I like the knife. Others here said what I was thinking. My only concern would be the thinness of the blade, but, like was pointed out, fur traders, pioneers, and frontiers people used thin bladed butcher knives for their survival and daily needs.

I would want one with VG10 or H1 steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just remember, those pioneers knew the limits of their knives and when it came time to make firewood they used an axe or hatchet lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Evil D wrote:Just remember, those pioneers knew the limits of their knives and when it came time to make firewood they used an axe or hatchet lol.
Yeah, it's an interesting mental exercise considering all the different scenarios, probabilities, etc.

For sure she wouldn't be processing wood with this knife. Where her and her husband's family go it is pretty remote and pretty rugged but there is a large group and she's rarely alone.

When they go up where I used to take her it is equally rugged and while it is remote, if she walks down hill she'll find a trail/road/creek and if she follows those down she'll find people.

I guess my thought being this isn't really a survival knife as much a good functional hunting/camping knife.

I'm still pondering...

:)
reallyreallybigman

Post by reallyreallybigman »

Tactical (the Youtuber) did a video about this, where he used a simple kitchen knife in a variety of survival-esque tests. As I recall, it did fairly well! Obviously you're not going to fell a tree with it, but to paraphrase the general idea that has been already echoed in this thread, a knife is a knife. If it's sharp, and cuts, and doesn't break under reasonable workloads, it should work, right?

One of my most wanted knives right now is the Condor Hudson Bay, just for that reason. In my limited experience with the world of knives, it appears to be "just a knife ". A robust one, sure, but a knife before modern technology and labels took over.

Go for it!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eli Chaps wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses. :)

bearfacedkiller wrote:Yup, like Yab said pioneers settled this country with thin butcher type knives. I might be inclined to go with a carbon steel knife from Dexter Russell or Old Hickory myself. They both make knives like the pioneers used. Dexter Russel has been around so long that they actually did make knives back then. You could also search out some trade pattern knives. I like the old French trade knife pattern.
Darby,

I thought about going that route but I just thought the carbon steel would be one more thing she'd have to keep up with whereas with stainless it's just less of a worry. Maybe it isn't a big deal either way though...?
One less thing to worry about.

Let me throw an unusual suggestion into the mix: Spyderco Aqua Salt

I firmly believe it's the most overlooked camping / hiking / survival knife due to marketing.

Let's look at some facts:

- Rust PROOF. Never be concerned about corrosion, period.

- LIGHT. Barely over 4oz. Any time I go outdoors, I spend much more time moving around than I do cutting. Light weight gear makes that more effortless, which would be essential in a survival situation where calories and energy might be limited.

- TOUGH. No stainless steel is even close to the toughness of H1. I can pry with my Aqua Salt, chop with it, split wood with it using a baton etc. No worries.

- Easy to sharpen. River stones, bricks, sandpaper folded up and tucked between the sheath and G-clip; all are sufficient to get the job done with this steel.

- Safe, secure handle large enough to use with winter gloves on. Grippy texturing.

- Economical. Can be found under $100 at times, $110 shipped all day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey EC if it works well for you then more power to you ;) I own a couple of those German made Wustof culinary blades I recently scored at a local thrift store of all places :cool: From what I can tell they are just as well made as the older J.A. Henckels are.

I've actually had some of my friends make fun of the three Spyders I take on outdoor ventures. Last time out I had 2 of my loyal Spyderco Catcherman models along with my PE & SE TEMPERANCE 1 models too. What's funny is that it wasn't too long that they were asking me if they could use them. Actually I had my Wustof paring knife with me and they ended up liking it too.

I also have a very old Queen Cutlery paring knife as well (model B0404) and that knife is just a dream to work with. My philosophy simply says "Whatever Works". And if you're Wustof works well then so be it. ;)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Do it, as there is no one survival knife to rule them all.

So many threads on all the forums over the years trying to find the best survival knife.
Worked out years ago it's 3 knives/items, 1) solid fixed blade 2) axe 3) Delica
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have put a lot of thought into getting a sheath made for the PE K05 utility knife so I can toss one in my icefishing kit. It should cut bait and gut fish pretty well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Vivi wrote: Let me throw an unusual suggestion into the mix: Spyderco Aqua Salt
I think that's a terrific suggestion. Simple, functional, dependable.

Ken
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The knife Im having more fun with lately, and is just dead useful is the Condor Baryonx. You can do so much with it. And its phenomenal at whackin briars.