Practical uses for the Karahawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Practical uses for the Karahawk

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Hi all,

Just got my first Spyderco in a long while (I edc a Military) and I got a black Karahawk. I mostly am interested in the design of it and not for defence at all. What are some practical uses for the Karahawk, some things it really excells at?

This is my first non-traditional style blade.
VashHash

Re: Practical uses for the Karahawk

Post by VashHash »

It excels at pull cuts. Hawkbills have a lot of utility uses. Rope, fibrous materials, packaging/tape/cardboard, blister packs etc etc. The ring allows you to still use your hands while holding the knife. It has a lot of potential outside of self defense. I've also used my Hawkbill knife to use as an extension of my hand to pick up something i dropped and couldn't reach. Just thought I'd add it can be used for more than just cutting.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Any sort of rope or strap. I used to carry a Tasman Salt at a warehouse job and it was perfect for popping off pallet straps. Just slip the tip under then pull.
Spydergimbo

Post by Spydergimbo »

Harvesting rice?
anycal

Post by anycal »

Spydergimbo wrote:Harvesting rice?
Hahahaha

Or if you're in Russia, add a hammer and make a communist symbol out of it.
Peter
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It excels at being quickly opened while being drawn from the pocket in forward or reverse grip. Then it excels at not falling out of your hand thanks to the finger ring, then it excels at pull cuts, and "clawing" motions, (a slash with a hawkbill is a stab AND a cut at the same time). This combo of abilities make for good defense use, but also emegency rescue use where quick deployment, grip control, and a blade shape that aids in cutting clothes, ropes, and belts is a plus. It is also just a cool little knife, and there's nothing wrong with owning one for that reason, it's definitely on my list. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:Any sort of rope or strap. I used to carry a Tasman Salt at a warehouse job and it was perfect for popping off pallet straps. Just slip the tip under then pull.
The KARAHAWK is another model that just has me scratching my head :confused: If I could get one of those in Spyderedge I would be all over it. Just like the SUPERHAWK I can't for the life of me understand why they don't offer it in Spyderedge :confused:

Truly Hawkbills and Spyderedges go together like hamburgers and french fries. The Spyderedge just gives you so much more cutting leverage with a Hawkbill and/or Reverse S blade.

Now the KARAHAWK in plain edge I'm sure is a really decent piece of cutlery but it would truly be ten-fold better IMO.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Agreed. I only use SE hawkbills.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:Agreed. I only use SE hawkbills.
I figured you would agree with me "Vivi" because I know that you actually use Hawkbill folders. Now I do own and on rare occasion use some of my plain edged Hawkbill blades. But I usually find 20 times the amount of uses for a Spyderedged Hawkbill than I do for a plain edges on Hawkbill blades.

Now I hope that Mr. Glesser doesn't take my complaint about PE Hawkbills in a negative way because I truly mean it to be constructive criticis. I believe that the SUPERHAWK would have been a permanent model on the main line up had they made them in Spyderedge.

I've loved the overall design and style of the KARAHAWK ever since it was introduced. I'm probably going to eventually get one anyway but I would sure get one with TEETH :cool:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Other then sd,the only purpose of a karambit is to put it into your collection.Its a very specialized knife,and it wont excell at anything other then its original purpose.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find plain edge hawkbills very useful in the garden and around the yard. I imagine that the Karahawk could be useful there too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?